Our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to what’s on in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema, including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & new releases.
Welcome to another screen week!
London’s DIY, indie and alternative screenings have definitely picked up pace this week, giving you a great deal of choice…
Friday 27 JAN is Holocaust Memorial Day and there are some important screenings across London including: INJUSTICE AND RESISTANCE: ROMANI ROSE AND THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT at Goethe-Institut, WHERE IS ANNE FRANK at Stratford East Picturehouse (both 27 JAN), and DISTANT JOURNEY at Picturehouse Cinemas in collaboration with the Czech Centre London (29 JAN). Apologies if I’ve missed others.
In a land where the double-bill is supposed to be dead, it’s great to see one of my favourite screening formats well represented across the week. Choices include: The Gothique Film Society‘s presentation of a pair of killer apes at The Cinema Museum, GO AND GET IT + THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (27 JAN); filmmaker JoJo Bossman introducing TONGUES UNTIED + MOONLIGHT for Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (30 JAN); and The Picture Palace Archive starting a new 16mm film night at Rivoli Ballroom with a ‘Blonde Bombshell Double-bill’, THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH 16mm + PIN UP GIRL 16mm (02 FEB).
For fans of world horror cinema, World Wide Weird stages their fifth “all-dayer” event at The King & Queen Pub on Saturday (28 JAN). Their global film choices include THE BOXER’S OMEN (1983), THE CORRUPTION OF CHRIS MILLER (1973), BALLAD IN BLOOD (2016) and some rare 8mm/16mm shorts. As usual it’s a free event, but the organisers will be inviting donations to raise funds for Macmillan Cancer Support. If your Saturday is already taken, the wonderful people at Evolution of Horror return to Genesis Cinema with the next of their big screen projections: EVENT HORIZON (31 JAN).
The week also features some excellent silent cinema including THE MARK OF ZORRO with Donald MacKenzie playing a live Wurlitzer score at The Musical Museum (29 JAN), and THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI with live score provided by Jon Sweeney at Ciné Lumière in partnership with Austrian Cultural Forum as part of their CARL MAYER MINI SEASON.
I’ve chosen the London International Mime Festival’s presentation of Todd Browning’s THE UNKNOWN with live score by Stephen Horne and Martin Pyne at Barbican (29 JAN) as my Featured Attraction of the Week because as their event blurb says: “this circus-set melodrama is one of the great silent films.”
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
PS – If you fancy joining me for Sunday Brunch with a side-serving of cult cinema, I’m launching my new ‘BAR TRASH does brunch’ programme at Rule Zero with Tobe Hooper’s LIFEFORCE this weekend (29 JAN 11:00am). Normal BAR TRASH service continues at Genesis Cinema on Wednesday 01 FEB with the little-known STAR WARS stablemate, DAMNATION ALLEY. See you there…?
THE UNKNOWN d. Tod Browning, 1927 + Live musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne & Martin Pyne, presented by LIMF at Barbican (29 JAN 15:00).
“The famously versatile Lon Chaney (“The Man of a Thousand Faces”) is Alonzo the Armless Wonder, who uses his feet to perform a circus knife-throwing act. But Alonzo keeps dark secrets: he is not the amputee he pretends to be, and is in fact a killer on the run from the police. With enormous cunning, he keeps his true identity, and his arms, hidden from the world. To act on his infatuation with the circus’ beautiful bare-back rider Nanon (Joan Crawford) would be to give himself away: so, what to do?”
“THE UNKNOWN builds to a Grand Guignol finale that is truly breath-taking in its intensity.” (LIMF)
FRIDAY 27 JAN
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Barbican (27 JAN 18:30).
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Central (27 JAN 20:00).
- THE FAREWELL + Short: STAY WITH HER ds. Lulu Wang, 2019 + Yang Chen, presented by WOFFF & Newham Community Cinema for Chinese New Year at Stratford Library (27 JAN 16:00 – FREE!).
- Double-bill: GO AND GET IT + THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL ds. Marshall Neilan & Henry Roberts Symonds, 1920 + Stuart Heisler, 1941 Live piano accompaniment for Go And Get It provided by John Sweeney, presented by The Gothique Film Society at The Cinema Museum (27 JAN 19:00).
- INJUSTICE AND RESISTANCE: ROMANI ROSE AND THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT d. Peter Nestler, 2022 presented by Essay Film Festival and the Goethe-Institut for Holocaust Memorial Day at Goethe-Institut London (27 JAN 19:00).
- MAMMA MIA! Sing-along d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2008 presented by West London Queer Project at Chiswick Cinema (27 JAN 21:00).
- MARIA FULL OF GRACE d. Joshua Marston, 2004 + Intro by Adam Feinstein at Friern Barnet Community Library (27 JAN 18:30).
- TRAMPS! d. Kevin Hegge, 2022 + Music in the bar, presented by Rebel Reel Cine Club at The Garden Cinema (27 JAN 20:00).
- WHERE IS ANNE FRANK + Short: TRUDIE’S GOOSE ds. Ari Folman, 2021 + Liran Kapel, 2020 + Panel, presented by WOFFF & Newham Community Cinema at Stratford East Picturehouse for Holocaust Memorial Day (27 JAN 19:00 – FREE!).
- THE WOMAN OF MY LIFE d. Antony Donchev, 2014 at Bulgarian Cultural Institute London (27 JAN 19:30 – FREE!).
- Guillermo del Toro in Conversation: Animation for All at BFI Southbank (27 JAN 18:00).
SATURDAY 28 JAN
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Mayfair (28 JAN 17:30).
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with the director at ICA (28 JAN 20:30).
- CLEOPATRA d. Cecil B. DeMille, 1934 + Intro, presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (28 JAN 19:30).
- RRR d. S. S. Rajamouli, 2022 at The Prince Charles (28 JAN 12:00 & 17:45).
- SERIOUSLY RED d. Gracie Otto, 2022 presented by London Australian Film Society for Australia Day at The Garden Cinema (28 JAN 12:30 & 20:30).
- Taste: Hong Kong Identity in Food and Film short film programme presented by Emerging Film Curators 2022 at Barbican (28 JAN 14:00).
- World Wide Weird All-Dayer at The King & Queen, raising funds for Macmillan Cancer Support (28 JAN 12:30+).
SUNDAY 29 JAN
- ANTONIA’S LINE d. Marleen Gorris, 1995 presented by Babel Film club at Babel Art House (29 JAN 19:00).
- BRINGING UP BABY 16mm d. Howard Hawks, 1938 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (29 JAN 14:15).
- CESÀRIA ÉVORA d. Ana Sofia Fonseca, 2022 at Bertha DocHouse (29 JAN 16:00).
- DISTANT JOURNEY d. Alfred Radok, 1948 in collaboration with the Czech Centre London to mark the International Holocaust Remembrance Day at Picturehouse Cinemas (29 JAN various).
- IF I HAD FOUR CAMELS d. Chris Marker, 1966 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht, presented by Never On Sunday at Close-Up (29 JAN 20:15).
- THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (29 JAN 17:00).
- THE MARK OF ZORRO d. Fred Niblo, 1920 + Live accompaniment by Donald MacKenzie on Wurlitzer at The Musical Museum (29 JAN 14:30).
- OLIMPIA’S WAY d. Corrado Ceron, 2023 + Q&A with the director, presented by CinemaItaliaUK at Riverside Studios (29 JAN 17:30).
- REDS d. Warren Beatty, 1981 at Riverside Studios (29 JAN 13:45 / 30 JAN 13:30).
- THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION d. Frank Darabont, 1994 presented by Film Tottenham at Blighty Tottenham N15 (29 JAN 18:00).
- THE UNKNOWN d. Tod Browning, 1927 + Live musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne & Martin Pyne, presented by LIMF at Barbican (29 JAN 15:00).
- The Tufnell Park Film Club Winter Film Quiz! at The Lord Palmerston (29 JAN 19:00).
MONDAY 30 JAN
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Panel discussion, raising funds for Positive East at Rio Cinema (30 JAN 18:15).
- DAISIES aka Sedmikrásky d. Vera Chytilová, 1966 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (30 JAN 19:30).
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (30 JAN 20:00 / 31 JAN 20:00 / 01 FEB 20:00 / 05 FEB 17:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: FATHER OF THE BRIDE d. Vincente Minnelli, 1950 at Regent Street Cinema (30 JAN 13:00).
- REDS d. Warren Beatty, 1981 at Riverside Studios (30 JAN 13:30).
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (30 JAN 18:15).
- Double-bill: TONGUES UNTIED + MOONLIGHT ds. Marlon Riggs, 1989 + Barry Jenkins, 2016 + Intro by JoJo Bossman, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (30 JAN 17:30).
- WOMEN TALKING d. Sarah Polley, 2023 + Q&A at Curzon Soho (30 JAN 18:15).
TUESDAY 31 JAN
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 at The David Lean (31 JAN 19:30).
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (31 JAN 20:00 / 01 FEB 20:00 / 05 FEB 17:00).
- EVENT HORIZON d. Paul W.S. Anderson, 1997 + Live panel discussion with Journey Through Sci-Fi podcast, presented by Evolution of Horror at Genesis Cinema (31 JAN 18:20).
- FLASH GORDON d. Mike Hodges, 1980 in tribute to Mike Hodges (1932 – 2022), presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (31 JAN 20:00).
- LA BETE HUMAINE d. Jean Renoir, 1938 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (31 JAN 20:00 – Donation requested).
- Movie Night with Minute Shorts short film programme at Dijonss E1 (31 JAN 19:00).
WEDNESDAY 01 FEB
- Pink Palace: THE CRYING GAME d. Neil Jordan, 1992 + Intro/discussion with Fringe! programmer, Jaye Hudson in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (01 FEB 20:00).
- Films from Iran for Iran: DREAM SILK + GUT FEELINGS: FRAGMENTS OF TRUTH ds. Nahid Reza, 2003 + Katayoun Jalilipour, 2021 at One And A Half (01 FEB 18:30).
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (01 FEB 20:00 / 05 FEB 17:00).
- THE FABELMANS d. Steven Spielberg, 2022 + Intro by Adrian Wootton at Barbican (01 FEB 20:15).
- South By South: LOSING GROUND d. Kathleen Collins, 1982 at South London Gallery (01 FEB 19:00).
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Crouch End (01 FEB 20:30).
- SUPER NATURAL d. Jorge Jácome, 2022 UK Premiere + Intro/Q&A with the artist at Tate Modern (01 FEB 18:30).
THURSDAY 02 FEB
- ARMAGEDDON TIME d. James Gray, 2022 at The David Lean (02 FEB 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
- Arthouse Short Film Movie Screenings & Dialogues on Film at CAT Cafe SE6 (02 FEB 19:00).
- Science On Film: ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND d. Michel Gondry, 2004 + Panel at Francis Crick Institute (02 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- THE GHOST AND THE HOUSE OF TRUTH d. Akin Omotoso, 2019 at Courthouse Hotel (02 FEB 18:30 / 03 FEB 19:30).
- GROUNDHOG DAY on Groundhog Day d. Harold Ramis, 1993 at Genesis Cinema (02 FEB 20:50).
- HONEYLAND aka Medena zemja d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019 presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Dugdale Arts Centre (02 FEB 19:45).
- NAKED GARDENS d. Ivete Lucas & Patrick Bresnan, 2022 + Q&A with co-director Ivete Lucas at The Garden Cinema (02 FEB 20:00).
- NOTHING LIKE A DAME d. Roger Michell, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (02 FEB 19:00).
- PAT AND MIKE d. George Cukor, 1952 + Discussion of the screenplay by Garson Kanin & Ruth Gordon, presented by ‘Screenplay By’ at The Cinema Museum (02 FEB 19:30).
- Blonde Bombshell Double-bill: THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH 16mm + PIN UP GIRL 16mm ds. Billy Wilder, 1955 + H. Bruce Humberstone, 1944 presented by The Picture Palace Archive at Rivoli Ballroom (02 FEB 19:00).
- SUNSHINE d. Danny Boyle, 2007 at BFI Southbank (02 FEB 18:15).
- TIME & TIDE: THE THAMES, GREENWICH & ITS FORGOTTEN PAST d. Paul Wyatt, 2023 + Q&A with the director at National Maritime Museum (02 FEB 18:30).
- Time Quartet: Estonian Artists’ Films UK Premiere at Whitechapel Gallery (02 FEB 19:00).
- TRUE ROMANCE d. Tony Scott, 1993 presented by Ruby Fontaine’s Film Club at Fontaine’s (02 FEB 20:00 – FREE!).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LOOPER 35mm d.Rian Johnson, 2012 (27 JAN 18:15 / 02 FEB 12:45); THE ADVENTURES OF SHARKBOY AND LAVAGIRL 35mm d. Robert Rodriguez, 2005 (28 JAN 13:00); TRAINSPOTTING 35mm d. Danny Boyle, 1996 (29 JAN 20:30); DECISION TO LEAVE 35mm aka Heojil Kyolshim d. Park Chan-wook, 2022 (31 JAN 12:45 / 02 FEB 15:00); RATATOUILLE 35mm d. Brad Bird, 2007 (01 FEB 12:30).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (30 JAN 12:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings): AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB); BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (29 JAN 19:45 / 01 FEB 11:15).
- AKIRA KURASWA: SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 (28 JAN 15:30 – without intermission).
- SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022: 67= METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (30 JAN 16:30).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings):
- Social Status: THE HIDDEN FORTRESS aka Kakushi Toride no San-Akunin d. Akira Kurosawa, 1958 (27 JAN 17:45); THE LOWER DEPTHS 35mm aka Donzoku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 (30 JAN 20:20); KAGEMUSHA d. Akira Kurosawa, 1980 (31 JAN 19:35).
- Honour: SANJURO aka Tsubaki Sanjûrô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1962 (31 JAN 17:50).
- Professional Lives: DRUNKEN ANGEL 35mm aka Yoidore Tenshi d. Akira Kurosawa, 1948 (02 FEB 18:20 / 10 FEB 20:40); THE SILENT DUEL 35mm aka Shizukanaru Kettô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1949 (02 FEB 20:40 / 11 FEB 18:40).
- BFI IMAX: SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 (28 JAN 15:30 – without intermission).
- Talks & Events: THE BAD SLEEP WELL 35mm aka Warui Yatsu hoho Yoku Nemuru d. Akira Kurosawa, 1960 + Intro by season curator Ian Haydn Smith (29 JAN 14:30); HIGH & LOW 35mm aka Tengoku to Jigoku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1963 + Intro by season curator Ian Haydn Smith (29 JAN 18:00).
- Relaxed screening: THE HIDDEN FORTRESS aka Kakushi Toride no San-Akunin d. Akira Kurosawa, 1958 + Intro & discussion (30 JAN 18:00)
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 02 FEB).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (29 JAN 14:00 / 01 FEB 17:45).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SUPERMAN d. Richard Donner, 1978 (29 JAN 15:05 / 31 JAN 15:00 – 4K/£1 Members Film / 01 FEB 20:45).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BAND OF OUTSIDERS d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1964 (27 JAN 20:15); LE PETIT SOLDAT d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (29 JAN 16:00); A WOMAN IS A WOMAN d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1961 (02 FEB 20:15 / 25 FEB 20:15).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): LIFEFORCE d. Tobe Hooper, 1985 + Intro, intermission, brunch & prize giveaways at Rule Zero’s Sub Zero (29 JAN 11:00+); DAMNATION ALLEY d. Jack Smight, 1977 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (01 FEB 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
CARL MAYER MINI SEASON at Ciné Lumière & Austrian Cultural Forum
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI aka Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari d. Robert Wiene, 1920 + Intro by Brigitte Mayr & Michael Omasta + Live piano accompaniment by Jon Sweeney, presented in partnership with Austrian Cultural Forum at Ciné Lumière (28 JAN 18:30); SUNRISE – A SONG OF TWO HUMANS d. F.W. Murnau, 1927 + Intro by Brigitte Mayr & Michael Omasta at Austrian Cultural Forum (31 JAN 19:00 – FREE!).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1970 (27 JAN 17:15 / 31 JAN 15:15); CHINATOWN d. Roman Polanski, 1974 (28 JAN 14:30 / 01 FEB 15:10); THE SHINING d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (29 JAN 16:45 / 30 JAN 14:55); THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (30 JAN 20:30).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 02 FEB).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DERSU UZALA aka The Hunter d. Akira Kurosawa, 1975 (27 JAN 15:00 / 28 JAN 18:15 / 02 FEB 20:35); ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND d. Michel Gondry, 2004 (30 JAN 12:30); THE FUNERAL d. Jûzô Itami, 1984 (30 JAN 18:00); TAMPOPO d. Jûzô Itami, 1985 (30 JAN 20:45 – 4K); WHIPLASH d. Damien Chazelle, 2014 (02 FEB 18:05 / 06 FEB 12:45).
DISNEY MATINEES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS d. William Cottrell, David Hand & Wilfred Jackson, 1937 (29 JAN 13:00).
DRUMROLL FOR FORTUITOUS HEROES at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): TINTIN & THE LAKE OF SHARKS d. Raymond Leblanc, 1972 (28 JAN 14:00 / 15 FEB 14:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 (28 JAN 20:15).
‘I PURPLE U’ at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE HANDMAIDEN d. Park Chan-Wook, 2016 (31 JAN 20:20).
- Curated by Heeyeon Park in partnership with NFTS.
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): REQUIEM FOR A VILLAGE + THE SIGNALMAN ds. David Gladwell, 1975 + Lawrence Gordon Clark, 1976 (27 JAN 18:20 / 31 JAN 20:40); JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES d. Chantal Akerman, 1975 (28 JAN 16:15); BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkins, 2019 (30 JAN 20:50); BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO + WIND ds. Peter Strickland, 2012 + Bill Scott, 1999 (31 JAN 18:10).
- Talks & Events: Film Sounds: A conversation between Mark Jenkin and Peter Strickland (29 JAN 13:00); BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO + WIND ds. Peter Strickland, 2012 + Bill Scott, 1999 + Intro by Mark Jenkin & Peter Strickland (29 JAN 15:30).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
MEL BROOKS SELECTROSPECTIVE (IN REVERSE) at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN d. Mel Brooks, 1974 (27 JAN 18:00).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE HOBBIT TRILOGY d. Peter Jackson, 2012-2014 (28 JAN 21:30); MICHAEL MANNATHON 5 Films, 1 Ticket (28 JAN 21:45).
NOBODY DOES IT LIKE SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY aka Guns In The Afternoon d. Sam Peckinpah, 1962 (31 JAN 18:15).
SCI-FI SELECTIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. The Daniels, 2022 (29 JAN 12:30 – 4K / 01 FEB 15:00 – 4K).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings): 78= SUNSET BOULEVARD d. Billy Wilder, 1950 (27 JAN 14:30 / 30 JAN 17:50); 72= JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia d. Roberto Rossellini, 1954 (27 JAN 20:50); 67= THE GLEANERS AND I aka Les glaneurs et la glaneuse + LA JETÉE ds. Agnès Varda, 2000 + Chris Marker, 1962 (28 JAN 12:45); 72= MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO aka Tonari no Totoro d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (28 JAN 13:40); 84= THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE aka El espíritu de la colmena d. Victor Erice, 1973 (28 JAN 13:50); 78= A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY aka Guling jie shaonian sha ren shijian d. Edward Yang, 1991 (28 JAN 16:00); 95= A MAN ESCAPED aka Un Condamné à mort s’est échappé d. Robert Bresson, 1956 (28 JAN 20:30); 75= IMITATION OF LIFE d. Douglas Sirk, 1959 (29 JAN 12:30); 95= THE GENERAL d. Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman, 1926 (29 JAN 15:10); 67= ANDREI RUBLEV d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966 (29 JAN 17:20); 72= L’AVVENTURA aka The Adventure d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960 (30 JAN 20:15); 66 TOUKI-BOUKI d. Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973 (31 JAN 17:40); 38= BREATHLESS aka À bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 (01 FEB 14:30 / 14 FEB 20:50 / 24 FEB 18:20); 54= LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (01 FEB 18:10 / 17 FEB 20:50); 60= DAUGHTERS OF THE DUST d. Julie Dash, 1991 (01 FEB 18:15 / 16 FEB 20:30); 59 SANS SOLEIL 35mm aka Sunless d. Chris Marker, 1982 (01 FEB 20:40 / 17 FEB 18:00); 36= M aka Mörder unter uns d. Fritz Lang, 1931 (02 FEB 14:30 / 16 FEB 20:40 / 22 FEB 18:00); 60= MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (02 FEB 20:45 / 14 FEB 20:30).
- BFI IMAX: 67= METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (30 JAN 16:30).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (27 JAN 15:45 / 29 JAN 18:25 / 30 JAN 20:30 / 31 JAN 15:45 / 01 FEB 15:30); BEAU TRAVAIL 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1999 (29 JAN 18:15 / 07 FEB 12:15); STORIES WE TELL d. Sarah Polley, 2012 (01 FEB 18:15).
STEFAN DANAILOV at Bulgarian Cultural Institute London
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BORIS I – THE LAST PAGAN d. Borislav Sharaliev, 1984 (28 JAN 14:00 – FREE!); AFTER THE END OF THE WORLD d. Ivan Nichev, 1998 (28 JAN 17:00 – FREE!); BAY GANYO GOES AROUND EUROPE d. Ivan Nichev, 1991 (28 JAN 19:00 – FREE!).
STEVEN SPIELBERG FROM 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SAVING PRIVATE RYAN 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1998 (28 JAN 22:30 / 01 FEB 10:30).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): BLADE RUNNER: FINAL CUT d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (29 JAN various).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): THREE COLOURS: RED aka Trois couleurs: Rouge d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994 (29 JAN 14:00 / 31 JAN 18:30); Z aka Il est vivant d. Costa-Gavras, 1969 (01 FEB 18:00).
WOMEN SHAPING THE WORLD at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): FILMMAKERS d. Julie Gayet & Mathieu Busson, 2019 + Q&A with co-director Julie Gayet (28 JAN 15:15); SIMONE VEIL, A WOMAN OF THE CENTURY aka Simone, le voyage du siècle d. Olivier Dahan, 2022 (29 JAN 16:10 / 18 FEB 15:45).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (27 JAN 12:35 – 4K / 28 JAN 15:45 – 4K / 01 FEB 18:00 – 4K / 02 FEB 15:30 – 4K); CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (31 JAN 18:00); IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (02 FEB 21:15 – 4K).
YASUJIRŌ OZU: NORIKO TRILOGY at Close-Up Film Centre
- Includes (check venue for full listings): EARLY SUMMER d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1951 (28 JAN 17:45); TOKYO STORY d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1953 (29 JAN 17:45).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
THE FABELMANS dir Steven Spielberg, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios
Also 27 JAN to 02 FEB (various dates/times):
- JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.