Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
Welcome to another screen week!
Just a quick burst of news this week… I’ve tried to amend listings according to announced venue closures/changes to programmes on Monday 19 SEP for the Queen’s funeral, but please do check ahead with your preferred venues for their opening times.
I’ve chosen Jean-Luc Godard’s BREATHLESS at Genesis (20 SEP) and BFI (22 SEP) as my Featured Attraction of the Week for obvious reasons… I’m sure there will be many more tributes to come.
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1960 at: Genesis Cinema (20 SEP 18:35) / BFI Southbank+ Intro by Programmer-at-Large Geoff Andrew (22 SEP 18:20).
“In tribute to the iconoclastic and hugely influential filmmaker, critic and theorist Jean-Luc Godard, who died on 13 September aged 91, we are screening his acclaimed first feature, BREATHLESS, a major early hit for the French New Wave. Based on a scenario by François Truffaut, the film is both a witty homage to American B-movie crime thrillers and a love letter to Paris” (BFI)
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
DINNER AT EIGHT d. George Cukor, 1933 in celebration of Jean Harlow, presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (16 SEP 19:30).
MELODY d. Waris Hussein, 1971 + Q&A with the director at Riverside Studios (17 SEP 14:00).
THE SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE PJ PARTY d. Amy Holden Jones, 1982 + Podcast recording, presented by The Evolution of Horror at Genesis Cinema (18 SEP 18:20).
AIRPLANE! d. Jim Abrahams, David Zucker & Jerry Zucker, 1980 at The Prince Charles (19 SEP 18:15 – £1 Members’ Film).
LA NOIRE DE… aka Black Girl d. Ousmane Sembène, 1966 + Intro/discussion with Christine Checinska and Elisabeth Murray, Curator & Project Curator of the Africa Fashion exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum, presented by Fashion & Cinema at Ciné Lumière (20 SEP 18:30).
THE MOTHER d. Roger Michell, 2003 presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas, Ealing (21 SEP 19:30).
THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER 16mm d. Charles Laughton, 1955 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (22 SEP 19:30 / 25 SEP 14:10).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
MIKE LEIGH IN CONVERSATION at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): ALL OR NOTHING d. Mike Leigh, 2002 + Mike Leigh in conversation (16 SEP 19:00); VERA DRAKE d. Mike Leigh, 2004 + Mike Leigh in conversation (17 SEP 14:30); ANOTHER YEAR d. Mike Leigh, 2010 + Mike Leigh in conversation (17 SEP 19:00).
More rep seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Alyssa Film Festival (16 to 24 SEP).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (01 to 30 SEP).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (20 to 25 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (22 to 29 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (08 to 18 SEP).
- Portobello Film Festival (01 to 18 SEP).
- S.O.U.L. Fest x ABFF Global (16 to 18 SEP).
- Ukraine Defiant: Ukrainian Film Festival (22 to 25 SEP).
More outdoor seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
ATHENA dir. Romain Gavras, 2022:
- Exclusively at: Rio Cinema
HALLELUJAH: LEONARD COHEN, A JOURNEY, A SONG dir. Daniel Geller & Dayna Goldfine, 2021:
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.