Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
MACHINES IN FLAMES d. Andrew Culp & Thomas Dekeyser, 2022 + Short: THE LUDDITES + Q&A with Thomas Dekeyser, presented by Mondo Nights at Biddle Bros (27 SEP 20:00).
“Sabotage is a chef pouring salt in the soup, an engineer pouring sand in the petrol tank, and a programmer writing bugs into the code. Our new season looks at the secret history of rebellion from the Luddites, to hackers to androids turning on themselves.”
“We start our new SABOTAGE SEASON with a screening of a new documentary from the DESTRUCTIONIST INTERNATIONAL about the French militants from a cell called ‘CLODO’ who saw the foreboding emergence of a new cybernetic society and took fire to it – before vanishing, never to be caught. We also plan to screen THE LUDDITES, a docudrama about the Yorkshire workers who took hammers to new technology which threatened their livelihoods, the OG sabotage movement.”
SABOTAGE SEASON… Desperate Measures for Desperate Times. Buy a one-off ticket or consider a season ticket for the whole 5 screenings for a saving. HACKERS (04 OCT), THE FIFTH POWER (11 OCT), NIGHT MOVES (18 OCT), 964 PINOCCHIO (25 OCT).
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
POWERLANDS d. Ivey Camille Manybeads Tso, 2022 at Birkbeck Cinema (23 SEP 17:00 – FREE!).
Films for Food: THE STREET d. Zed Nelson, 2019 presented by Nunhead Community Cinema at The Green Community Centre SE15 (24 SEP 18:30 – FREE/Food donation for Southwark Foodbank requested).
THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928 + Live electronic soundtrack by Sam Enthoven & Arkadiusz Potyka at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 SEP 15:00).
WATER MAKES US WET: AN ECOSEXUAL ADVENTURE d. Annie Sprinkle & Beth Stephens + Q&A with the filmmakers at The Horse Hospital (26 SEP 19:30).
BENT 35mm 25th Anniversary d. Sean Mathias, 1997 + Q&A with the director, writer Martin Sherman & actor Ian McKellen at BFI Southbank (27 SEP 18:10).
THIN ICE 35mm aka Bergenstoget plyndret i natt d. Uwe Jens Krafft, 1928 + MÉNILMONTANT 16mm d. Dimitri Kirsanoff, 1925 + Live piano accompaniment by Colin Sell & John Sweeney, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (28 SEP 19:30).
LE JOUR SE LÈVE 16mm d. Marcel Carne, 1939 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (29 SEP 19:30).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Includes (check venue for listings): TOKYO METROPOLIS + EXCHANGE STUDENT CHUA SWEE-LIN d. Tsuchimoto Noriaki, 1962 + 1965 UK Premieres (24 SEP 16:15); PRE-HISTORY OF THE PARTISANS d. Tsuchimoto Noriaki, 1969 UK Premiere (24 SEP 18:00); UMITORI – THE STOLEN SEA AT THE SHIMOKITA PENINSULA 16mm d. Tsuchimoto Noriaki, 1984 (25 SEP 18:00).
More rep seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- A Look Into Film Festival (24 SEP).
- Alyssa Film Festival (16 to 24 SEP).
- EFN Short Film Festival (19 to 23 SEP).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (01 to 30 SEP).
- Fragments Festival (29 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (20 to 25 SEP).
- The Island Triangle Film Festival (24 SEP).
- London Kurdish Film Festival (23 to 30 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (22 to 29 SEP).
- New Renaissance Film Festival (22 to 24 SEP).
- Short Cuts: Deeper Into Movies Short Film Festival (25 SEP).
- Ukraine Defiant: Ukrainian Film Festival (22 to 25 SEP).
DON’T WORRY DARLING dir. Olivia Wilde, 2022:
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.