Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
After a few bumps in the road, I’m hoping normal service will resume next week. Thank you to all my monthly subscribers at Patreon for their support throughout this period.
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
SAINT JACK 35mm d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1979 presented by The Badlands Collective in tribute to Peter Bogdanovich at ICA (24 NOV 18:40).
“Peter Bogdanovich died on January 6th 2022 at the age of 82. As a director, Bogdanovich was an integral part of the New Hollywood of the 1970s, and as a critic and historian, his interviews with master filmmakers such as Howard Hawks, John Ford and Orson Welles helped sustain interest in their work for subsequent generations. A lifelong passionate cinephile, Peter Bogdanovich was a key inspiration for The Badlands Collective, and we are proud to be celebrating his life and career with a 35mm screening of his 1979 film SAINT JACK at the ICA.”
“An adaptation of the novel by Paul Theroux (which Cybill Shepherd won the rights to in a lawsuit against Playboy), SAINT JACK was filmed in Singapore in 1978, with Bogdanovich using a dummy script to fool the authorities into allowing the production to go ahead, and it remains the only American feature to be entirely shot in that country. Ben Gazzara gives one of his signature performances as Jack Flowers, a small-time hustler and pimp who dreams of one day operating his own brothel but faces external pressures from local gangs and the CIA. Charismatic, laid-back and cynical, Jack is a man who operates with certain values, and through Jack’s encounters with the various men and women who enter his orbit, SAINT JACK explores what it takes to try and be a moral man in an amoral world.” (The Badlands Collective)
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
Storming Heaven short film programme at Close-up (18 NOV 20:15).
OJOBOCA: True Counterfeits + Q&A with the filmmakers, presented by ALT/KINO at ICA (19 NOV 18:30).
THE GHOST OF RICHARD HARRIS d. Adrian Sibley, 2022 + Q&A with the director, raising funds for Hackney Foodbank at Rio Cinema (20 NOV 15:15).
120 BPM aka 120 battements par minute d. Robin Campillo, 2017 presented by Trasnmissions at Dalston Superstore (21 NOV 19:00).
IRMA VEP d. Oliver Assayas, 1996 + Live podcast recording with The Cinematologists at The Garden Cinema (22 NOV 19:30).
A William S. Hart Evening: TUMBLEWEEDS + THE GUNFIGHTER ds. King Baggot, 1925 + William S. Hart, 1917 with Live piano accompaniment by John Sweeney & Dr Ilya Poletaev, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (23 NOV 19:30).
UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING d. John Hyams, 2012 presented by Animus Magazine at The Prince Charles (24 NOV 20:45).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
IMITATIONS OF LIFE: DECONSTRUCTING ‘CAMP’ IN CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD at The Cinema Museum
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BEYOND THE FOREST 35mm + QUEEN BEE 16mm ds. King Vidor, 1949 + Ranald MacDougall, 1955 + Intro/discussion in partnership with Women & Cocaine (20 NOV 16:00).
More rep seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Earls Court International Film Festival (11 to 18 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival: Jazz On Screen (12 to 20 NOV).
- French Film Festival (02 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Irish Film Festival London (16 to 20 NOV).
- London Migration Film Festival (24 to 30 NOV).
- London Palestine Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
- London Tibet Film Festival (22 to 23 NOV).
- Made In Prague (07 to 29 NOV).
- Romanian Film Festival London (24 to 28 NOV).
- Sofia Cinema Showcase (13 to 27 NOV).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (17 to 20 NOV online).
- Spectacle for Later – Computational Cinema Festival (18 to 20 NOV).
- UK Film Festival London (23 to 26 NOV / online 23 to 27 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (10 to 20 NOV / online 21 to 27 NOV).
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.