Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? Season Launch + THE GREEN SLIME d. Kinji Fukasaku, 1968 at Genesis Cinema (18 JAN 20:30):
“With Sight & Sound showcasing the “100 greatest films ever made” at BFI and the global film industry about to slap itself silly in awards season, BAR TRASH takes a different path… For the third sensational season of his cult movie event – TRASH OR TREASURE? – Token Homo will be resurrecting one of the most controversial movie lists of all time, The Golden Turkey Awards!”
“Published in the 1980s by Harry and Michael Medved, The Golden Turkeys were two volumes of satyrical, attention-grabbing snark. They disrespected film lore, eviscerated Hollywood’s hypocrisies, and (accidentally?) revived forgotten film histories. Edward D. Wood Jr. (GLEN OR GLENDA, PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE) was crowned ‘The Worst Director of All Time’.”
“But are these films TRASH OR TREASURE? And what does ‘best/worst’ mean when all we’re looking for is a good time in the darkness? At this special launch event, Token Homo will reveal the full season lineup and he’ll also be screening Kinji Fukasaku’s 1968 Japanese sci-fi catastrophe, THE GREEN SLIME! All BAR TRASH films are served with themed drinks, introductions, intermissions, prize giveaways and subtitles (where possible). Tickets from £3.”
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
Japanese American Toy Theatre of London at The Horse Hospital (13 JAN 18:30).
Woman With a Movie Camera Preview: ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 at BFI Southbank (14 JAN 18:10).
Preview: TOWN OF STRANGERS d. Treasa O’Brien, 2018 + Q&A with the director at ICA (15 JAN 18:45).
KIDS d. Larry Clark, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (16 JAN 19:30).
THE EAR aka Ucho d. Karel Kachyňa, 1970 + Book launch with David Vaughan and Peter Hames at Czech Centre London (17 JAN 18:30).
YOUR NAME d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 + Intro & book signing by Ghibliotheque podcast at Picturehouse Stratford (18 JAN 19:00).
THE DARKER SIDE OF BLACK d. Isaac Julien, 1994 presented by Otherness Archive at Black Cultural Archives (19 JAN 18:30).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
BEYOND INTERPRETATION at ICA
- Includes (check venue for listings): TOPOLOGY OF SIRENS d. Jonathan Davies, 2021 UK Premiere + Intro by season curator Chris Cassingham & Q&A with the director (14 JAN 16:30); SHE DIES TOMORROW d. Amy Seimetz, 2020 + Intro by writer & critic Lillian Crawford (15 JAN 16:30); HAPPER’S COMET d. Tyler Taormina, 2022 UK Premiere + Intro by season curator Chris Cassingham & Q&A with the director (17 JAN 18:30); THE PLAGIARISTS d. Peter Parlow, 2014 UK Premiere + Intro by season curator Chris Cassingham & Q&A with James Kienitz Wilkins & Robin Schavoir (19 JAN 18:30).
- Curated by Chris Cassingham in partnership with the NFTS.
More rep seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.