Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
Welcome to another screen week!
Happy 6th birthday to everyone at The Castle Cinema! Their celebration screening of THE CASTLE (05 FEB) sold out pretty much straight away, but you can help them celebrate every day of the week (including their £5 Mondays).
In considerably worse news, I’ve only just spotted the demise of Kino Bermondsey. Their Twitter account says this: “Bermondsey’s local independent cinema & café bar has now permanently closed due to an unsustainable hike in rent and service charges imposed by the landlord.” How very sad.
One of the reasons this weekly Screen Guide is so late is that I’ve also published my epic roundup of February’s film seasons and film festivals today. Check it out for a host of brilliant new programmes.
There are lots of Awards Season screenings across town. I haven’t listed them because there’s limited bandwidth here for new releases… but I’m sure you’ll have no problem tracking them down!
Of course, you could always join me at BAR TRASH for some alternative programming. TRASH OR TREASURE? Resurrecting “The Worst Films of All Time” screens titles from The Golden Turkey Awards(1980)… Next up: boxing kangaroo comedy, MATILDA (08 FEB).
And finally, it’s the start of LGBT History Month, so I’ve chosen two excellent seasons at The Cinema Museum as my Featured Attractions of the Week.
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
BEHIND THE LENS: FILMS FOR LGBT+ HISTORY MONTH at The Cinema Museum
- Includes (check venue for listings): IT IS NOT THE HOMOSEXUAL WHO IS PERVERSE, BUT THE SOCIETY IN WHICH HE LIVES aka Nicht der Homosexuelle ist pervers, sondern die Situation, in der er lebt d. Rosa von Praunheim, 1971 + Intro/ Discussion (09 FEB 19:00 – main featured image).
- Programme curated by Prof Dr Rainer Schulze.
DRESSED TO THRILL: A SERIES OF FILMS EXPLORING DRESS CODE AND GENDER EXPRESSION at The Cinema Museum
- Silent comedy double-bill: BEVERLY OF GRAUSTARK + I DON’T WANT TO BE A MAN ds. Sidney Franklin, 1926 + Ernst Lubitsch, 1918 in partnership with Kennington Bioscope (08 FEB 19:30).
- Presented by The Vito Project Queer Film Club.
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
Musical Fridays: CARMEN JONES d. Otto Preminger, 1954 at The Garden Cinema (03 FEB 18:30).
MANON DES SOURCES 35mm d. Claude Berri, 1986 in partnership with The Cinema Museum at The David Lean (04 FEB 14:00).
Non-Aligned Film Archives 02: Regards Inversés (Med Hondo) + Intro by Annabelle Aventurin at Close-Up Film Centre (05 FEB 15:00).
WALKABOUT d. Nicolas Roeg, 1971 + Q&A with with actors Jenny Agutter & Luc Roeg, in tribute to Nicolas Roeg in partnership with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at Ciné Lumière (06 FEB 18:30).
DEATH OF A BUREAUCRAT d. Tomás Gutiérrez Alea, 1966 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cine Club at Sands Films Studios (07 FEB 20:00 – Donation requested!).
IT IS NOT THE HOMOSEXUAL WHO IS PERVERSE, BUT THE SOCIETY IN WHICH HE LIVES aka Nicht der Homosexuelle ist pervers, sondern die Situation, in der er lebt d. Rosa von Praunheim, 1971 + Intro/ Discussion (09 FEB 19:00) / Part of BEHIND THE LENS at The Cinema Museum.
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Includes (check venue for full listings): UNDER THE OPEN SKY aka すばらしき世界 d. Miwa Nishikawa, 2020 (03 FEB 18:10); THE TOKYO NIGHT SKY IS ALWAYS THE DENSEST SHADE OF BLUE aka 映画 夜空はいつでも最高密度の青色だ d. Yuya Ishii, 2017 (03 FEB 20:50 / 07 FEB 20:45); TSUYUKUSA aka ツユクサ d. Hideyuki Hirayam, 2022 (04 FEB 13:20); TILL WE MEET AGAIN aka また逢う日まで d. Tadashi Imai, 1950 (04 FEB 15:30); INTOLERANCE aka 空白 d. Keisuke Yoshida, 2021 (04 FEB 18:00 / 08 FEB 18:00); IT COMES aka 来る d. Tetsuya Nakashima, 2018 (04 FEB 20:15); ITO aka いとみち, d. Satoko Yokohama, 2021 (05 FEB 13:15); THE MILLION RYO POT aka 丹下左膳余話 百萬両の壺 d. Sadao Yamanaka, 1935 (05 FEB 15:45 / 09 FEB 16:00); ANGRY SON aka 世界は僕らに気づかない d. Kasho Izuka, 2022 (05 FEB 17:50); THE PAST IS ALWAYS NEW, THE FUTURE IS ALWAYS NOSTALGIC: PHOTOGRAPHER DAIDO MORIYAMA aka 過去はいつも新しく、未来はつねに懐かしい 写真家 森山大道 d. Gen Iwama, 2021 (05 FEB 20:15); BL METAMORPHOSIS aka メタモルフォーゼの縁側 d. Shunsuke Kariyama, 2022 (07 FEB 18:15); HOLD ME BACK aka 私をくいとめて d. Akiko Ohku, 2020 (08 FEB 20:15); LESSON IN MURDER aka 死刑にいたる病 d. Kazuya Shiraishi, 2022 (09 FEB 18:10); JOINT d. Oudai Kojima, 2021 (09 FEB 20:40).
More rep seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Before the Night (03 to 08 FEB).
- From Venice… To London (03 to 06 FEB).
- St Brigid’s Day Film Festival (03 to 05 FEB).
THE WHALE dir Darren Aronofsky, 2022
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.