Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
THE MAN WITHOUT DESIRE 35mm d. Adrian Brunel, 1923 + Intro by Josephine Botting, BFI Curator & Live piano accompaniment by Stephen Horne (16 APR 15:10).
“One of Adrian Brunel’s most intriguing films is this blend of sci-fi and costume drama. It concerns a grief-stricken 18th-century Venetian gentleman (Ivor Novello) who is thwarted in love and placed by a magician friend into suspended animation. When he wakes up 200 years later, his attempts adjust to modern times are humorous, but he finds the experiment has more serious unexpected consequences.” (BFI)
See also: Adrian Brunel and British cinema of the 1920s at BFI Southbank (17 APR 18:30).
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
ORLANDO d. Sally Potter, 1992 at Triangle LGBTQ+ Cultural Centre (14 APR 20:30).
Deadly Butterflies Double Bill: LEPTIRICA aka The Butterfly + WOMAN CHASING THE BUTTERFLY OF DEATH ds. Djordje Kadijevic, 1973 + Kim Ki-young, 1978 presented by World Wide Weird at The King & Queen (15 APR 17:30 – Donations requested for Macmillan Cancer Support).
J’ACCUSE! A CRY FROM THE KILLING PITS OF LITHUANIA d. Michael D Kretzmer, 2022 + Q&A with the director, presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (16 APR 16:30 & 19:00).
FATAL ATTRACTION d. Adrian Lyne, 1987 + Panel discussion with Team Picturehouse moderated by Micallar Walker, founder of Dark Matter Agency at Picturehouse Central (17 APR 18:30).
AN EVENING WITH BRUCE LABRUCE inc SAINT-NARCISSE d. Bruce LaBruce, 2020, presented by DMovies & Doesn’t Exist at Rich Mix (18 APR 18:45).
STROLLING PLAYERS 35mm + GOING STRAIGHT ds. Karl Grune, 1925 + Chester M. Franklin & Sidney Franklin, 1916 + Intro by Michelle Facey & Live piano accompaniment by Cyrus Gabrysch & Colin Sell, presented by Kennington Bioscope at The Cinema Museum (19 APR 19:30).
THE EVIL DEAD d. Sam Raimi, 1981 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (20 APR 18:45).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
IN FOCUS: HELENA SOLBERG at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE INTERVIEW aka A entrevista + THE DOUBLE DAY aka A dupla jornada d. Helena Solberg, 1966 + 1975 + Q&A with the director (14 APR 18:45); CARMEN MIRANDA: BANANAS IS MY BUSINESS d. Helena Solberg, 1994 + Intro by the director (15 APR 16:30); NOON aka Meio-dia + DIARY OF A PROVINCIAL GIRL aka Vida de menina d. Helena Solberg, 1970 + 2004 + Intro by the director (16 APR 16:30).
More rep seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.