THE BALLY #198: What to see in London this week [21 to 27 APR 2023]
Welcome to THE BALLY where we help you find what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, online, outdoors & in venues.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
Some quick news from across the scene…
- Deptford Cinema returns with regular monthly screenings this week at Music Room (23 APR).
- Watermans has reduced their opening hours due to economic pressures.
- Queer East Festival burns brightly at venues across London (until 30 APR). Other festival’s opening nights include Chronic Youth (22 to 23 APR), Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY), and London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- There’s a handful of tickets left for both Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club screenings this week at The Castle Cinema (23 & 27 APR). Read The Guardian article.
- The IN FOCUS: ALBERT SERRA season builds up a head of steam at Ciné Lumière and ICA.
- Rooftop Film Club’s new outdoor season starts 28 APR (Stratford East) and 01 MAY (Peckham) and is booking now!
- I’ve chosen ICA’s Celluloid Sunday screening of Shunji Iwai’s PICNIC from 35mm as my Featured Attraction of the Week (23 APR).
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
Celluloid Sunday: PICNIC 35mm d. Shunji Iwai, 1996 at ICA (23 APR 19:15).
“Believing that the end of the world is imminent, Coco, Tsumuji and Satoru, three patients of a mental asylum, escape their institution to seek the perfect picnic spot and watch the apocalypse.”
“Shunji Iwai follows up on the success of his romance drama LOVE LETTER with this strange and touching tale, which started its career at the 1996 Berlinale. The film is screening on a 35mm print from the ICA Archive.” (ICA)
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
BABETTE’S FEAST aka Babettes gæstebud 35mm d. Gabriel Axel, 1987 + Live music by Phoebe Coco, presented by Wonder Reels at The Cinema Museum (21 APR 19:30).
African Odysseys: EXECUTIVE ORDER d. Lázaro Ramos, 2022 + Intro/Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (22 APR 14:00).
Polish Film Talk: HEAVEN IN HELL d. Tomasz Mandes, 2023 + Intro by Michael Brooke at Watermans (23 APR 13:00).
JUNK HEAD d. Takahide Hori, 2021 at various venues, inc: Genesis Cinema (24 APR 18:10); Picturehouse Cinemas (24 APR various); Prince Charles Cinema (24 APR 13:15 & 18:15); Regent Street Cinema (24 APR 18:00).
Projecting The Archive: INTIMATE RELATIONS 35mm d. Charles Frank, 1953 + Intro by Vic Pratt, BFI Video Publishing at BFI Southbank (25 APR 18:20).
VENDREDI SOIR aka Friday Night d. Claire Denis, 2002 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (26 APR 19:00).
FINITE: THE CLIMATE OF CHANGE d. Rich Felgate, 2022 + Intro, presented by Clean Up the River Brent, Ealing Wildlife Group, Friends of Horsenden Hill & Extinction Rebellion Brent at The Lexi Cinema (27 APR 18:30).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
IN FOCUS: ALBERT SERRA at Ciné Lumière & ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at Ciné Lumière (21 to 27 APR various); HONOUR OF THE KNIGHTS aka Honor de cavallería d. Albert Serra, 2006 + Q&A with the director at ICA (21 APR 18:20); PACIFICATION d. Albert Serra, 2022 at ICA (21 PAR 20:50); BIRDSONG aka El cant dels occels d. Albert Serra, 2008 at ICA (22 APR 16:30); THE LORD WORKED WONDERS IN ME aka El Senyor ha fet en mi meravellesd. Albert Serra, 2011 at ICA (23 APR 16:15); STORY OF MY DEATH aka Història de la meva mort d. Albert Serra, 2013 at ICA (25 APR 18:20); THE DEATH OF LOUIS XIV aka La mort de Louis XIV d. Albert Serra, 2016 at ICA (27 APR 20:50).
More seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (22 to 23 APR).
- Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
A THOUSAND AND ONE dir A.V. Rockwell, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
EVIL DEAD RISE dir Lee Cronin, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
HOW TO BLOW UP A PIPELINE dir Daniel Goldhaber, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema
THE THREE MUSKETEERS: D’ARTAGNAN dir Martin Bourboulon, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.