Welcome to THE BALLY, our weekly edit of what to see across London’s indie & alternative cinema scene. Daily film choices, rep seasons, festivals, revivals & new releases.
BAR TRASH – MONSTER MAYHEM! – Season Launch + GODZILLA aka ゴジラ Gojira d. Ishirō Honda, 1954 + Intro, themed drinks & prize giveaways, hosted by Token Homo at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (31 MAY 20:30).
“Token Homo launches his fourth sensational season of Bar Trash at Genesis Cinema and Rule Zero with GODZILLA (ゴジラ | Gojira), “the Citizen Kane of monster movies”.
“GODZILLA was a Japanese box office smash that would remain hidden from international audiences for decades. Ishirō Honda’s 1954 masterpiece was experienced by much of the rest of the world as the heavily re-edited GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS (1956), a Japanese-American co-production that featured additional footage of Raymond Burr (PERRY MASON, IRONSIDE) as an American journalist.”
“Screening here in its original form (minus Mr Burr but with more explicit criticism of post-war American nuclear policy), GODZILLA is ground zero for everything that was to come: 70 years of sequels, remakes, reboots, reverential homages and blatant ripoffs. Whilst the seemingly indestructible franchise star would spawn into the pulpiest of pop icons, GODZILLA fandom started here… in shock, and awe.”
BAR TRASH is a celebration of cult and curious cinema, hosted by Token Homo. All films screen with introductions, intermissions, prize giveaways, themed drinks and subtitles/captions (where possible!). Tickets from £3.
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
Denpa Disassociate featuring TOKYO BLOOD d. Gakuryu Ishii, 1993 + MAREBITO d. Takashi Shimizu, 2004 presented by Double Wonderful at Poster Hauss (26 MAY 19:30).
Josie Ho In Focus: HABIT [International Version] d. Janell Shirtcliff, 2021 + Q&A with Josie Ho at The Prince Charles (27 MAY 17:30).
Sunday Session: TERRA FEMME d. Courtney Stephens, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (28 MAY 16:00).
REDEYE short film programme + Q&A with the filmmakers at The Garden Cinema (29 MAY 18:00).
Women In Revolt short film programme presented by Shorts On Tap at Rich Mix (30 MAY 19:30).
THE EVIL BAT! screening of THE BAT d. Crane Wilbur, 1959 + Live score by Jason Frederick, presented by The Classic Horror Experience at The Cinema Museum (31 MAY 19:30).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- Includes (check venue for full listings): VERTIGO (26 MAY 18:00); NOTTING HILL (27 MAY 13:15); EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE (27 MAY 17:00); ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY (27 MAY 21:00); BACK TO THE FUTURE (28 MAY 13:45); 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU (28 MAY 17:15); THE BIG LEBOWSKI (28 MAY 20:30); ENCANTO (29 MAY 14:45); THE INBETWEENERS MOVIE (29 MAY 18:00); MEAN GIRLS (29 MAY 21:05); AMELIE (30 MAY 18:00); DIRTY DANCING (30 MAY 21:05); THE BREAKFAST CLUB (31 MAY 18:15); ABOUT TIME (31 MAY 20:45); ROALD DAHL’S MATILDA THE MUSICAL (01 JUN 14:15); THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN (01 JUN 17:30); NOPE (01 JUN 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MEAN GIRLS (26 MAY 21:00); SPICE WORLD (27 MAY 21:00); 500 DAYS OF SUMMER (29 MAY 21:00); COCAINE BEAR (30 MAY 21:00); SHE’S ALL THAT (31 MAY 21:00).
More seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Sci-Fi London (31 MAY to 06 JUN).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 04 JUN).
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.