Welcome to THE BALLY, our weekly edit of what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, outdoors & in venues.
ANSWERING THE SUN dir Rainer Kohlberger, 2022 + Q&A with the artist, presented by Sonic Cinema at ICA (24 JUN 16:30).
“Sonic Cinema presents Rainer Kohlberger’s ANSWERING THE SUN – a maximal, stroboscopic colour odyssey to the limits of human perception. Riffing on the optical phenomenon that occurs when staring at the sun, Kohlberger’s first feature adeptly modernises avant garde cinema’s long tradition of visual music and flicker in a 60-minute bombardment of coloured fields, op art geometry, hallucinatory passages and a wall of sound.”
“The screening will be followed by a Q&A with Rainer Kohlberger hosted by Dr. Eleni Ikoniadou and is supported by Austrian Cultural Forum London, Goethe-Institut London and Sixpackfilm, Vienna. Sonic Cinema is a research project and event series by Oliver Dickens, exploring the intersection of moving image, sound art and music practice.” (Sonic Cinema)
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
THE FOURTH MAN d. Paul Verhoeven, 1983 + Intro, presented by Video Bazaar at The Garden Cinema (23 JUN 21:30).
THE COLONEL’S STRAY DOGS d. Khalid Shamis, 2021 + Q&A at The Africa Centre (24 JUN 18:30 – Donation requested).
Non-Aligned Film Archives 05: Tibelkachoutine (Mohamed Zinet) + Intro by Saad Chakali at ICA (25 JUN 16:15).
Monday Classic Matinée: GUYS & DOLLS d. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1955 at Regent Street Cinema (26 JUN 13:00).
AND, TOWARDS HAPPY ALLEYS d. Sreemoyee Singh, 2023 + Q&A with the director at Close-Up (28 JUN 20:15).
KOKOMO CITY d. D. Smith, 2023 + Intro by Ramses Underhill-Smith for Pride Month at The Garden Cinema (29 JUN 20:45).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
CINECITTÀ PRESENTS: ITALIAN DOCS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): A STEADY JOB aka Il Postod. Mattia Colombo & Gianluca Matar, 2023 + Q&A with the directors (24 JUN 16:00); WAKE ME UP AT MIDNIGHT aka Svegliami a mezzanotte d. Francesco Patierno, 2022 + Q&A with the director (24 JUN 18:30); BELLA CIAO – PER LA LIBERTÀ d. Giulia Giapponesi, 2022 + Q&A with the director (25 JUN 15:30).
More seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Kingston International Film Festival (23 to 25 JUN).
- London Festival of Architecture x Brixton Community Cinema (09 JUN to 02 JUL).
- London Indian Film Festival (22 to 29 JUN).
- Magnum Photos Film Festival (24 to 30 JUN).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- Refugee Week (19 to 25 JUN).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- Windrush Caribbean Film Festival (06 to 30 JUN).
ASTEROID CITY dir Wes Anderson, 2023
Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.