Welcome to THE BALLY, our weekly edit of what to see in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema events, outdoors & in venues.
THE LITTLE MERMAID aka Malá mořská víla d. Karel Kachyňa, 1976 + After Party, presented by Double Wonderful at Poster Hauss (30 JUN 19:30).
“Forget the multiplex and plunge into the world of Hans-Christian Anderson at our next screening of THE LITTLE MERMAID (Malá mořská víla).”
“Expect seaside castles, hunky shipwrecked princes, and some of the best underwater photography to bathe your eyes in when you see Karel Kachyňa’s award winning adaptation projected. Want another one? We’ll be pairing this screening with a special short film before the screening. After the screening there will be an afterparty.” (Double Wonderful)
Subscribe to get all our listings emailed & help #ReviveTheDark.
THE OUTSIDERS d. Francis Ford Coppela, 1983 + Vinyl set by DJ Vadim Kosmos before the film, presented outdoors by Rebel Reel Cine Club at Woodberry Wetlands Nature Reserve, Stoke Newington (30 JUN 21:00).
SPRING, SUMMER, FALL, WINTER… AND SPRING aka Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom d. Kim Ki-duk, 2003 presented by The Machine Operated Film Club at Reference Point (01 JUL 19:00).
GOLDEN GATE GIRLS: 10th Anniversary d. S. Louisa Wei, 2013 + Q&A with the director, presented by Queer East x Sine Screen at Genesis Cinema (02 JUL 18:00).
DOWN TERRACE d. Ben Wheatley, 2009 + Short: THE RILEY SISTERS d. Julia Jackman + Q&A with the directors, presented by First Film Club at The Ritzy (03 JUL 19:15).
Science On Screen: THEM! d. Gordon Douglas, 1954 + Talk by Professor Sarah Hart at Barbican (04 JUL 18:15).
Double Bill: SHARK SKIN MAN & PEACH HIP GIRL + PARTY 7 d. Katsuhito Ishii, 1998 + 2000 + Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (05 JUL 18:00).
Woman With A Movie Camera: THE APPLE 35mm d. Samira Makhmalbaf, 1998 + Intro by Programmer Jelena Milosavljevic at BFI Southbank (06 JUL 18:10).
Full daily listings in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
DRAMA AND DESIRE: THE FILMS OF YOUSSEF CHAHINE at BFI Southbank
- The Melodrama Of Life: DADDY AMIN aka Father Amin / Baba Amin d. Youssef Chahine, 1950 (01 JUL 15:30); THE DEVIL OF THE DESERT aka Shaitan el Saharaa d. Youssef Chahine, 1954 (02 JUL 18:20); MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE aka You Are My Love / Enta Habibi d. Youssef Chahine, 1957 (04 JUL 20:40).
- An Egyptian Panorama: DARK WATERS aka Seraa Fil Mina d. Youssef Chahine, 1955 (01 JUL 20:30); THE BLAZING SUN aka Seraa Fil Wadi d. Youssef Chahine, 1954 + intro by season curator Elhum Shakerifar (03 JUL 20:20).
- Talks etc: The Youssef Chahine Story (03 JUL 18:10).
More seasons listed in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
SUNSET SCREENING SESSIONS at Beckenham Place Park
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE LADY VANISHES d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1938 (30 JUN 21:15); FOUR WEDDINGS & A FUNERAL d. Mike Newell, 1994 (01 JUL 21:15).
- London Festival of Architecture x Brixton Community Cinema (09 JUN to 02 JUL).
- Magnum Photos Film Festival (24 to 30 JUN).
- Odyssey Film Festival (26 MAY to 30 JUN).
- SAFAR Film Festival (29 JUN to 09 JUL).
- SoHome Horror Pride (29 JUN to 02 JUL – online).
- Sundance Film Festival London (06 to 09 JUL).
More new releases in this week’s SCREEN GUIDE.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.