TUESDAY 17 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
SONGS FOR WHILE I’M AWAY d. Emer Reynolds, 2020 + Zoom Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (17 AUG 18:20) / Part of THE IRISH FOR HOPE.
- “Tracing the life and music of legendary Thin Lizzy frontman Phil Lynott, SONGS FOR WHILE I’M AWAY tells the story of how a young black boy from working class 1950’s Dublin became Ireland’s Greatest Rock Star. Told extensively through his own words, and focusing on some of his most iconic songs, Emer Reynolds’ searching film gets to the heart of Philip: the father, the husband, the friend, the son, the rock icon, the poet, the dreamer.”
- ANNIHILATION d. Alex Garland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (17 AUG 20:30).
- THE BAD & THE BEAUTIFUL d. Vincente Minnelli, 1952 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston NW5 (17 AUG 20:00).
- CARMEN d. Carlos Saura, 1983 presented by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studio SE16 (17 AUG 20:00 – Donation requested!).
- CUTTER’S WAY d. Ivan Passer, 1981 at BFI Southbank (17 AUG 14:30).
- EX MACHINA d. Alex Garland, 2014 at The Prince Charles (17 AUG 18:00).
- IVAN’S CHILDHOOD d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1962 at ICA (17 AUG 13:00).
- JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at Genesis Cinema (17 AUG 18:35).
- THE LETTER 35MM d. William Wyler, 1940 at BFI Southbank (17 AUG 17:50).
- THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU 35MM d. Wes Anderson, 2004 at The Prince Charles (17 AUG 14:35).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA d. Sergio Leone, 1984 at BFI Southbank (17 AUG 17:40 – unconfirmed).
- SONGS FOR WHILE I’M AWAY d. Emer Reynolds, 2020 + Zoom Q&A with the director at Bertha DocHouse (17 AUG 18:20).
- SUPERNOVA d. Harry Macqueen, 2020 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (17 AUG 17:15).
- THREE COLOURS: WHITE d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994 at Genesis Cinema (17 AUG 21:00).
- WILD AT HEART d. David Lynch, 1990 at The Prince Charles (17 AUG 15:15).
- BACK TO THE FUTURE d. Robert Zemeckis, 1985 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (17 AUG 20:00).
- BLACK WIDOW d. Cate Shortland, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (17 AUG 20:30).
- PULP FICTION d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (17 AUG 20:15).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (from 17 AUG).
- S.O.U.L. Fest (18 to 22 AUG).
BLOW IT TO BITS aka On va tout péter d. Lech Kowalski, 2019 at ICA (13 to 19 AUG various times).
- Also (13 to 19 AUG various dates/times): THE COURIER at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinemas / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Watermans // I’M YOUR MAN d. Maria Schrader, 2021 at Barbican / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Riverside Studios // JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at ICA / Kino Bermondsey / The Prince Charles // MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema (+Q&A) / Regent Street Cinema // NEW ORDER d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ICA // NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI Southbank // SOLDIER’S WOMAN d. Patricia Wiesse Risso, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // WILDLAND d. Jeanette Nordahl, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.