MONDAY 01 AUGUST 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 + Recorded intro with the director & Q&A with Grenfell Tower survivor & subject of the film, Nicholas Burton – in aid of the Grenfell Foundation at The Gate (01 AUG 18:00).
“Despite the fact that housing is a fundamental human right and a precondition to a safe and healthy life, it’s becoming almost impossible to find an affordable place to live in cities across the world. PUSH sheds light on a new kind of faceless landlord, our increasingly unlivable cities and an escalating crisis that has an effect on us all. The film follows Leilani Farha, the UN Special Rapporteur on Adequate Housing, as she travels the globe, trying to understand who’s being pushed out of the city and why.” (Picturehouse Cinemas)
This screening is in aid of the Grenfell Foundation. Following the screening Grenfell Tower survivor and subject of the film Nicholas Burton will be in conversation with writer and journalist Anna Minton. This screening will also feature a filmed introduction by PUSH’s director Fredrik Gertten and Leilani Farha, former United Nations Special Rapporteur on Adequate Housing and subject of the documentary.
- Monday Classic Matinée: A FREE SOUL d. Clarence Brown, 1931 at Regent Street Cinema (01 AUG 13:00).
- CONSCIENTIOUS PROTECTORS: A STORY OF REBELLION AGAINST EXTINCTION d. Leigh Bloomfield, 2022 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (01 AUG 20:45).
- THE DOOM GENERATION d. Gregg Araki, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (01 AUG 19:30).
- LES MISÉRABLES d. Ladj Ly, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (01 AUG 20:00 / 02 AUG 20:00 / 03 AUG 20:00 / 07 AUG 17:00).
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (EXTENDED) d. Peter Jackson, 2001 at Genesis Cinema (01 AUG 20:00 / 02 AUG 20:00).
- LOST MIGRATIONS d. Project Dastaan, Puffball Studios & Spitting Image Studios, 2022 World Premiere, part of BFI Expanded at BFI Southbank (01 AUG 17:30 & 19:30).
- PUSH d. Fredrik Gertten, 2019 + Recorded intro with the director & Q&A with Grenfell Tower survivor & subject of the film, Nicholas Burton – in aid of the Grenfell Foundation at The Gate (01 AUG 18:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ALIEN [Director’s Cut] d. Ridley Scott, 1979 (01 AUG 12:25).
- SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996 (01 AUG 15:00).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- CABARET d. Bob Fosse, 1972 (01 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE d. John Frankenheimer, 1962 (01 AUG 14:40).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD d. Louis Malle, 1958 (01 AUG 20:00 + Intro by filmmaker & curator Daniel Turner).
CELEBRATING MARLENE DIETRICH at The Garden Cinema
- THE SCARLET EMPRESS d. Josef von Sternberg, 1934 (01 AUG 18:00).
MASAKI KOBAYASHI’S ‘THE HUMAN CONDITION’ TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- THE HUMAN CONDITION – PART 1 – NO GREATER LOVE d. Masaki Kobayashi, 1959 (01 AUG 19:45).
JONNY GREENWOOD RETROSPECTIVE at Genesis Cinema
- PHANTOM THREAD d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017 (01 AUG 18:00).
KIDS IN AMERICA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- THE CRAFT d. Andrew Fleming, 1996 (01 AUG various).
KINUYO TANAKA: A LIFE IN FILM at BFI Southbank
- LOVE LETTER 4K aka Koibumi d. Kinuyo Tanaka, 1953 (01 AUG 18:15).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- Histories of the land: THE MUSIC ROOM aka Jalsaghar d. Satyajit Ray, 1958 (01 AUG 20:40).
- Re-release: THE BIG CITY aka Mahanagar d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 (from 22 JUL to 04 AUG).
WIM WENDERS at Curzon Cinemas
- Check venue for details.
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (01 AUG 12:15 – 4K).
- AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 (01 AUG 17:45 – 4K).
- DUKEFEST (31 JUL to 03 AUG).
- The London Action Festival (28 to 31 JUL).
- Movey Night – East London Break Film Festival (30 JUL – Donations).
- Refocusing the Lens: From the Centre to the Margins (30 JUL to 03 AUG).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- TOP GUN: MAVERICK (01 AUG 20:45).
- Also 29 JUL to 04 AUG (various dates/times): CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE + BONUS FOOTAGE d. Daniels, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / // JOYRIDE d. Emer Reynolds, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinema / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // LOOKING FOR VENERA d. Norika Sefa, 2021 at: ICA.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.