MONDAY 02 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
JAMES BALDWIN: THE PRICE OF THE TICKET d. Karen Thorsen, 1989 presented by The Batty Mama at Stanley Arts (02 AUG 16:00 & 19:30).
- “In honour of James Baldwin’s would be 97th Birthday, we are hosting a screening of the documentary film about his life and legacy JAMES BALDWIN: THE PRICE OF THE TICKET. This feature-length 16mm documentary has received stellar reviews and awards. Celebrated at festivals in over two-dozen countries – including Sundance, London, Berlin and Tokyo.”
- A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS aka Per un pugno di dollari 4K d. Sergio Leone, 1964 at BFI Southbank (02 AUG 20:45).
- BLUE VELVET 35MM d. David Lynch, 1986 at The Prince Charles (02 AUG 21:00).
- BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE d. Paul Mazursky, 1969 at BFI Southbank (02 AUG 20:40).
- CITIZEN KANE 35MM d. Orson Welles, 1941 at The Prince Charles (02 AUG 18:20).
- DANGEROUS 35MM d. Alfred E Green, 1935 at BFI Southbank (02 AUG 18:15).
- THE DARJEELING LIMITED + HOTEL CHEVALIER 35MM d. Wes Anderson, 2007 at The Prince Charles (02 AUG 15:45).
- FALLEN ANGELS 4K aka Do lok tin si d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at BFI Southbank (02 AUG 20:50).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 at BFI Southbank (02 AUG 14:45).
- JAMES BALDWIN: THE PRICE OF THE TICKET d. Karen Thorsen, 1989 presented by The Batty Mama at Stanley Arts (02 AUG 16:00 & 19:30).
- LAST LETTER FROM YOUR LOVER d. Augustine Frizzell, 2021 + Q&A with author JoJo Moyes at Everyman Chelsea (02 AUG 19:30).
- LIMBO d. Ben Sharrock, 2020 + Recorded Q&A with the director at ArtHouse Crouch End (02 AUG 15:15).
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING d. Peter Jackson, 2003 at The Prince Charles (02 AUG 11:25).
- MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 at Catford Mews (02 AUG 18:30).
- PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002 at The Prince Charles (02 AUG 17:50).
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 at The Prince Charles (02 AUG 20:30).
- The Sounds of Ennio Morricone panel discussion at BFI Southbank (02 AUG 18:10).
- A QUIET PLACE II d. John Krasinski, 2020 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (02 AUG 20:45).
- BLACK PANTHER d. Ryan Coogler, 2018 at Bar Elba SE1 (02 AUG 21:00).
- I AM DIVINE d. Jeffrey Schwarz, 2013 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (02 AUG 20:00).
- Sundance Film Festival (29 JUL to 01 AUG).
- Also (30 JUL to 05 AUG various): HIGHLANDER d. Russell Mulcahy, 1986 at The Prince Charles // I WAS AT HOME, BUT… d. Angela Schanelec, 2019 at ICA (until 04 AUG).
- Bohemia Media presents REBEL DYKES at The Apple Tree (03 JUL 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE PSYCHO SEQUELS at The Cinema Museum (24 JUL 2022)
- Create Hong Kong & Focus Hong Kong present Making Waves – Navigators of Hong Kong Cinema (08 to 10 JUL 2022)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents Gap the Mind at Phoenix Cinema (23 JUN 2022)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.