MONDAY 04 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN d. Terence Fisher, 1967 at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 18:10) / Part of THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES IS MORE DEADLY THAN THE MALE.
- “When his young lab assistant Hans (Robert Morris) is unjustly executed ‒ and Han’s lover Christina (Susan Denberg) drowns herself out of grief ‒ Baron Frankenstein (Peter Cushing) seizes the opportunity to test his theory that the soul does not depart the body at the moment of death. Resurrecting Han’s soul in Christina’s body, the Baron appears to have achieved a miracle. But two spirits inhabit her body now ‒ one seeking redemption, and the other bent on bloody revenge.”
- Curated by Sophie Determan. Presented in partnership with the National Film & Television School.
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 ‘unrestored version’ at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 20:15).
- ADAM d. Maryam Touzani, 2019 at BFI (04 OCT 20:50).
- THE BIG SLEEP 35mm d. Howard Hawks, 1946 at BFI (04 OCT 17:45).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS 4Kaka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at BFI (04 OCT 20:40).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 at The Prince Charles (01 to 05 OCT various).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 20:30).
- THE EXORCIST 35mm d. William Friedkin, 1973 at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 12:15).
- FALLEN ANGELS 4k aka Do lok tin si d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at BFI (04 OCT 18:30).
- FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN d. Terence Fisher, 1967 at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 18:10).
- French Impressions: TWO OF US d. Filippo Meneghetti, 2019 in-venue film screening + online discussion with Jon Davies presented by Watermans (04 OCT 19:00 + 07 OCT 20:00).
- GUMMO VHS d. Harmony Korine, 1997 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Sebright Arms (04 OCT 19:30 – FREE!).
- HAPPY TOGETHER 4k aka Chun gwong cha sit d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 at BFI (04 OCT 14:45).
- IT MUST BE HEAVEN d. Elia Suleiman, 2019 at BFI (04 OCT 14:30).
- JEFF BUCKLEY LIVE IN CHICAGO presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (04 OCT 19:30).
- JO JO DANCER, YOUR LIFE IS CALLING 35mm d. Richard Pryor, 1986 at BFI (04 OCT 20:45).
- MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Catford Mews (04 OCT 20:30).
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 at Regent Street Cinema (04 OCT 13:30).
- RICHARD PRYOR: LIVE ON THE SUNSET STRIP 35mm d. Joe Layton, 1982 at BFI (04 OCT 18:20).
- SCANNERS d. David Cronenberg, 1981 at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 17:45).
- UNDER THE SKIN d. Jonathan Glazer, 2013 at The Prince Charles (04 OCT 15:30).
- No Ticket Required: I AM NOT A WITCH d. Rungano Nyoni, 2017 online discussion with Michael Brooke presented by Watermans (04 OCT 20:00 – Watch film in advance/FREE discussion!).
- ALL THE STREETS ARE SILENT d. Jeremy Elkin, 2021 at Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (04 OCT 20:00).
- BFI London Film Festival (06 to 17 OCT).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- EFN Short Film Festival (27 SEP to 01 OCT).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest programme launch (05 OCT)
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (25 SEP to 02 OCT).
BELLY OF THE BEAST d. Erika Cohn, 2020.
- Various venues inc: Bertha DocHouse
EMA d. Pablo Larraín, 2019.
- Various venues inc: ICA
OLIVER SACKS: HIS OWN LIFE d. Ric Burns, 2019.
- Various venues inc: Ciné Lumière
- Also (01 to 07 OCT various dates/times): FAUCI d. John Hoffman & Janet Tobias, 2021 at: JW3 // FRIDA – VIVA LA VIDA d. Giovanni Troilo, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // MY NAME IS PAULI MURRAY d. Julie Coleman, 2021 at: Watermans // SONG WITHOUT A NAME aka Canción sin nombre d. Melina León, 2019 at: ICA.
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).
- Sonic Cinema presents A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 2021).
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!
- Twisted Folk, a season of folk horror films at Catford Mews (02 OCT to 10 NOV 2021).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.