MONDAY 06 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Projecting the Archive: KING OF THE DAMNED 35mm d. Walter Forde, 1935 + Intro by film historian Jonathan Rigby at BFI Southbank (06 JUN 18:20).
“A convict settlement on a tropical island descends into revolution due to the inhuman treatment inflicted on the inmates. Leading man Conrad Veidt was one of Britain’s biggest gains from the 1930s exodus from Germany and as ‘Convict 83’ he gives the kind of intense performance that few British actors could muster. To counter the surrounding masculinity, Hollywood import Helen Vinson sports Schiaparelli gowns as Veidt’s love interest. The production is lent polish by Hitchcock collaborators Charles Bennett and Sidney Gilliat on the script side, while art director Oscar Werndorff brings to life a hellish prison camp on the studio floor.” (BFI)
- Gaspar Noé presents: AMOUR d. Michael Haneke, 2012 at Picturehouse Cinemas (06 JUN various).
- GOODFELLAS d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 + Intro by Nick Toth in tribute to Ray Liotta at Genesis Cinema (06 JUN 20:00).
- Projecting the Archive: KING OF THE DAMNED 35mm d. Walter Forde, 1935 + Intro by film historian Jonathan Rigby at BFI Southbank (06 JUN 18:20).
- LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH: THE FILMS OF DAVID CRONENBERG d. Laurens C. Postma, 1987 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (06 JUN 19:30).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (06 JUN 20:00 / 07 JUN 20:00 / 08 JUN 20:00 / 12 JUN 17:00).
- PRIDE d. Matthew Warchus, 2014 + Q&A with Lesbians & Gays Support the Miners to raise funds for Outside Project at Rio Cinema (06 JUN 18:30).
- VAMPYR d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932 at Chiswick Cinema (06 JUN 19:30).
- VAMPYR d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932 at Genesis Cinema (06 JUN 18:45).
Check venues for full listings…
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- THE THING d. John Carpenter, 1982 (06 JUN 16:00).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- VERTIGO 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 (06 JUN 13:00).
ANDREI TARKOVSKY at The Prince Charles
- IVAN’S CHILDHOOD d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1962 (06 JUN 21:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ 4K d. Don Siegel, 1979 (06 JUN 20:45).
CELEBRATING ANNA MAGNANI at The Garden Cinema
- THE ROSE TATTOO d. Daniel Mann, 1955 (06 JUN 18:00).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- Re-releases: GET CARTER 4K Restoration d. Mike Hodges, 1971 (until 09 JUN).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (06 JUN 12:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- LICORICE PIZZA (06 JUN 21:15).
THE CAMERA IS OURS: BRITAIN’S WOMEN DOCUMENTARY MAKERS d. Marion Grierson, Ruby Grierson, Brigid ‘Budge’ Cooper, Kay Mander & Sarah Erulkar, 1935-67:
- Various venues, inc: ICA
LUCHADORAS d. Paola Calvo & Patrick Jasim, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
- Also 03 to 09 JUN (various dates/times): DASHCAM d. Rob Savage, 2021 at: The Prince Charles // ELIZABETH: A PORTRAIT IN PART(S) d. Roger Michell, 2022 + Recorded Q&A at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // LANCASTER d. David Fairhead & Anthony Palmer, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Olympic Studios / Regent Street Cinema // MEN d. Alex Garland, 2022 at: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema // OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at: Riverside Studios // PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 at: BFI / Ciné Lumière / ICA.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.