MONDAY 06 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
MAELSTRÖM 35mm d. Denis Villeneuve, 2000 at BFI (06 SEP 18:15) / Part of DENIS VILLENEUVE: THE PATH TO DUNE.
- “Villeneuve’s second feature, a dark comedy about a young woman unravelling after a hit-and-run accident, is bursting with ideas – most notably exploring his reccurring concerns with cyclical violence and women in crisis. It’s also Villeneuve at his most playful: the whole piece is narrated by a talking fish as it’s being butchered at a fishmonger’s table. The director himself has stated he considers MAELSTRÖM a ‘brother’ to his later surreal reflection on anxiety, ENEMY.”
- AN AUTUMN TALE 35mm aka Conte d’automne d. Éric Rohmer, 1998 at The Prince Charles (06 SEP 17:50).
- BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (06 SEP 20:00).
- BLUE COLLAR d. Paul Schrader, 1978 at BFI (06 SEP 14:30).
- COPILOT d. Anne Zohra Berrached, 2021 + Q&A with the director at BFI (06 SEP 20:25).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 at The Prince Charles (06 SEP 15:35).
- ICELAND IS BEST d. Max Newsom, 2021 + Q&A with the director, director of photography/producer Dankuro Shinma, & producer Will Randall-Coath at Everyman Chelsea (06 SEP 18:00).
- INHERENT VICE 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014 at The Prince Charles (06 SEP 15:15).
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 at The Prince Charles (06 SEP 12:45).
- MAELSTRÖM 35mm d. Denis Villeneuve, 2000 at BFI (06 SEP 18:15).
- Mark Kermode Live in 3D at the BFI (06 SEP 18:00).
- MEETING THE BEATLES IN INDIA d. Paul Saltzman, 2020 at Olympic Studios (06 SEP 18:00).
- PHANTOM THREAD 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2018 at The Prince Charles (06 SEP 20:30).
- RELIC d. Natalie Erika James, 2020 at Picturehouse Cinemas (from 06 SEP).
- THE UNDERCOVER MAN d. Joseph H Lewis, 1949 at BFI (06 SEP 18:10).
- WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 + Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (06 SEP 18:25).
- HOW TO OVERTHROW THE US GOVERNMENT (LEGALLY) d. Caveh Zahedi, 2020 at Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (06 SEP 20:00).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Sci-Fi-London 48hr Film Challenge (04 to 06 SEP).
ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021.
- Also (03 to 09 SEP various dates/times): THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at: JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at: The Prince Charles // EPICENTRO d. Hubert Sauper, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.