MONDAY 08 AUGUST 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE FEAST d. Lee Haven Jones, 2021 + Short: WITCH’S MASK at Picturehouse Hackney (08 AUG 19:30):
“You are cordially invited to a dinner party to die for…
When a wealthy family and their guests gather for a dinner party in the remote Welsh countryside, they have little idea of what awaits them. Hosted at their luxurious new house, the family have a valuable mining venture at stake and the atmosphere is tense.
The arrival of a mysterious young woman who has been hired as a waitress brings a quiet, unsettling presence to the evening. And as the night progresses, she soon begins to challenge the family’s beliefs, unravelling the illusion they’ve created with slow, deliberate, and terrifying consequences.
A carnivorously chilling new horror film, THE FEAST features an outstanding cast and marks an unforgettable feature debut from Lee Haven Jones.
This screening of THE FEAST is presented by MASSIVE, with the short film Witch’s Mask by Laura N-Tamara, selected by Minute Shorts, playing before the film.“
- Monday Classic Matinée: BLONDE CRAZY d. Roy Del Ruth, 1931 at Regent Street Cinema (08 AUG 13:00).
- THE CARD COUNTER d. Paul Schrader, 2021 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (08 AUG 19:30).
- DAISIES aka Sedmikrásky d. Vera Chytilová, 1966 at The Prince Charles (08 AUG 18:05).
- DAZED AND CONFUSED d. Richard Linklater, 1993 at Picturehouse Cinemas (08 AUG various).
- THE FEAST d. Lee Haven Jones, 2021 at Picturehouse Hackney (08 AUG 19:30).
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (Extended Edition) d. Peter Jackson, 2002 at Genesis Cinema (08 AUG 19:30 / 09 AUG 19:30).
- PIG d. Michael Sarnoski, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (08 AUG 20:00 / 09 AUG 20:00 / 10 AUG 20:00 / 14 AUG 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE CONFORMIST 35mm aka IL Conformista d. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 (08 AUG 15:40).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- ROBOCOP d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 (08 AUG 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: POWER! at BFI Southbank
- GASLIGHT d. Thorold Dickinson, 1940 (08 AUG 20:45).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- ERASERHEAD d. David Lynch, 1977 (08 AUG 13:30).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- LA BÊTE HUMAINE d. Jean Renoir, 1938 (08 AUG 20:00).
CELEBRATING PENÉLOPE CRUZ at The Garden Cinema
- PARALLEL MOTHERS d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2021 (08 AUG 17:30).
THE FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH at The Prince Charles
- ERASERHEAD d. David Lynch, 1977 (08 AUG 13:30).
FROM JAMAICA TO THE WORLD: REGGAE ON FILM at BFI Southbank
- Re-release: THE HARDER THEY COME d. Perry Henzell, 1972 (05 to 18 AUG).
INDIANA JONES IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK 4K d. Steven Spielberg, 1981 (08 AUG 13:00).
JUDY GARLAND SEASON at Chiswick Cinema
- THE WIZARD OF OZ d. Victor Fleming, 1939 (08 AUG 11:20).
KIDS IN AMERICA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- DAZED AND CONFUSED d. Richard Linklater, 1993 (08 AUG various).
KINUYO TANAKA: A LIFE IN FILM at BFI Southbank
- FOREVER A WOMAN 4K (aka The Eternal Breasts) aka Chibusa yo eien nare d. Kinuyo Tanaka, 1955 (08 AUG 20:40).
- Talks etc: Kinuyo Tanaka: Film Pioneer (08 AUG 18:30).
LONG-ASS MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- RRR d. S. S. Rajamouli, 2022 (08 AUG 20:00 – 180mins).
PRE-CODE HOLLYWOOD at The Prince Charles
- RED DUST d. Victor Fleming, 1932 (08 AUG 18:20).
RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at The Prince Charles
- EFFI BRIEST d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (08 AUG 20:30).
SATYAJIT RAY: THE LANGUAGE OF FILM at BFI Southbank
- The woman question: CHARULATA aka The Lonely Wife d. Satyajit Ray, 1964 (08 AUG 18:15).
- Re-release: THE BIG CITY aka Mahanagar d. Satyajit Ray, 1963 (08 AUG 14:10).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (08 AUG 16:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- ELVIS (08 AUG 20:45).
SUZANNE DAVEAU dir Luisa Homem, 2019
- Exclusively at: ICA
- Also 05 to 11 AUG (various dates/times): BURNING AN ILLUSION d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 at: Picturehouse Cinemas (various) // FEATHERS d. Omar El Zohairy, 2021 at: ICA // MAISIE d. Lee Cooper, 2021 at: ICA / Peckhamplex // NIGHTCLUBBING: THE BIRTH OF PUNK ROCK IN NYC + SID: THE FINAL CURTAIN d. Danny Garcia, 2022 at: Rio Cinema // ROMAN HOLIDAY d. William Wyler, 1953 at Picturehouse Cinemas (various).
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.