MONDAY 08 NOVEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE VVITCH d. Robert Eggers, 2015 at Catford Mews (08 NOV 20:30 / 10 NOV 20:30) / Part of TWISTED FOLK: THE BEST FOLK HORROR FILMS FROM THE LAST DECADE.
- “Robert Eggers’ masterful debut played a huge part in bringing folk horror to the mainstream – proving that you don’t need jump scares or excessive gore to instill fear in your audience. The devil is indeed in the details with The VVitch – Eggers ensured that the set and dialogue were as historically accurate as possible – and, with the help of an impeccable cast, it pays off.”
- ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (08 NOV 20:00).
- BOOGIE NIGHTS 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997 at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 14:40).
- CHILDREN OF THE BEEHIVE 35mm aka Hachi no su no kodomotachi d. Hiroshi Shimizu, 1948 at BFI (08 NOV 18:20).
- DEAR FUTURE CHILDREN d. Franz Böhm, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Finsbury Park (08 NOV 20:30).
- French Impressions: DEERSKIN d. Quentin Dupieux, 2019 in-venue screening at Watermans (08 NOV 19:00) followed by free online Discussion with Jon Davis (11 NOV 20:00 – FREE!).
- THE FLAVOUR OF GREEN TEA OVER RICE 4k aka Ochazuke no aji d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1952 at BFI (08 NOV 14:30).
- HOUSE aka Hausu d. Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977 at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 20:45).
- INSIDE MAN d. Spike Lee, 2006 at BFI (08 NOV 20:30).
- KOYAANISQATSI: LIFE OUT OF BALANCE 35mm d. Godfrey Reggio, 1982 at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 12:30).
- Mark Kermode Live in 3D at the BFI Southbank (08 NOV 18:10).
- OUT OF SIGHT 35mm d. Steven Soderbergh, 1998 at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 18:00).
- PIG d. Michael Sarnoski, 2021 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (08 NOV 19:30).
- ROBOCOP 35mm d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 at The Prince Charles (08 NOV 15:45).
- SANSHO THE BAILIFF aka Sansho Dayu d. Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954 at BFI (08 NOV 20:40).
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no Samurai d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 + Interval at BFI (until 11 NOV various).
- THE VVITCH d. Robert Eggers, 2015 at Catford Mews (08 NOV 20:30).
- No Ticket Required: THE DEATH OF STALIN d. Armando Iannuci, 2017 watch the film + recorded intro in advance then join free online discussion with Michael Brooke, presented by Watermans (08 NOV 20:00).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- French Film Festival (03 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (09 to 14 NOV).
- London Korean Film Festival (04 to 19 NOV).
- Made In Prague Festival (07 NOV to 10 DEC).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- UK Green Film Festival (03 to 14 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (04 to 18 NOV).
7 PRISONERS aka 7 Prisioneiros d. Alexandre Moratto, 2021.
AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988.
- Also (05 to 11 NOV various dates/times): BULL d. Paul Andrew Williams, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // THE CARD COUNTER d. Paul Schrader, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // MEN WHO SING d. Dylan Williams, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // QUANT d. Sadie Frost, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.