MONDAY 09 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
AS I WAS MOVING AHEAD OCCASIONALLY I SAW BRIEF GLIMPSES OF BEAUTY d. Jonas Mekas, 2000 + Intermission presented by Herb Shellenberger at The Prince Charles (09 JAN 17:45 – 300mins).
“As I Was Moving Ahead… is widely regarded as a masterpiece of documentary film, and it is currently the fourth highest-rated documentary on Letterboxd. This epic diary film is structured into twelve chapters, each introduced by Mekas’s wry and self-reflexive commentary. We are proud to present the film in a brand new digital restoration by RE:VOIR with support from the Lithuanian Film Center. The film will be presented with a brief 10min intermission.” (Herb Shellenberger)
- AS I WAS MOVING AHEAD OCCASIONALLY I SAW BRIEF GLIMPSES OF BEAUTY d. Jonas Mekas, 2000 + Intermission presented by Herb Shellenberger at The Prince Charles (09 JAN 17:45).
- BARBARIAN d. Zach Cregger, 2022 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (09 JAN 19:30).
- JUNO d. Jason Reitman, 2007 + In conversation with Jem Nash, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (09 JAN 19:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: SOUTH PACIFIC d. Joshua Logan, 1958 (09 JAN 13:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- HARD TARGET 35mm d. John Woo, 1993 (09 JAN 18:00 – £1 Members Film).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (09 JAN 20:20).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 19 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Society: THE MOST BEAUTIFUL 35mm aka Ichiban Utsukushikud. Akira Kurosawa, 1944 (09 JAN 18:15).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (09 JAN 13:30).
- TAMING THE GARDEN d. Salomé Jashi, 2021 (09 JAN 18:10).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (09 JAN 15:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1970 (09 JAN 12:50).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- VIVRE SA VIE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1962 (09 JAN 18:20).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- WALKABOUT d. Nicolas Roeg, 1971 (09 JAN 20:30).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 90=PARASITE aka Gisaengchung d. Bong Joon Ho, 2019 (09 JAN 17:50).
- 95=TROPICAL MALADY 35mm aka Sud pralad d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004 (09 JAN 20:40).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 (09 JAN 15:40 – 4K).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
EMPIRE OF LIGHT dir Sam Mendes, 2023
- Various venues, inc (from 09 JAN): ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
- From 35mm (various dates): BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
Also 06 to 12 JAN (various dates / times / venues):
- CROWS ARE WHITE d. Ahsen Nadeem, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- HONG KONG FAMILY d. TSANG Hing Weng, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.