MONDAY 09 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE MASTER 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 at The Prince Charles (09 AUG 20:30).
- “Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix) is a troubled, boozy drifter struggling with the trauma of World War II and whatever inner demons ruled his life before that. On a fateful night in 1950, Freddie boards a passing boat and meets Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman), the charismatic leader of a religious movement called the Cause. Freddie tries hard to adhere to Dodd’s weird teachings and forms a close bond with his mentor, even as other members of Dodd’s inner circle see him as a threat.”
- DAYS OF HEAVEN d. Terrence Malick, 1978 at BFI Southbank (09 AUG 21:00).
- HERE WE ARE d. Nir Bergman, 2000 at Genesis Cinema (09 AUG 21:00).
- I’M YOUR MAN aka Ich bin dein Mensch d. Maria Schrader, 2021 preview at BFI Southbank (09 AUG 17:50).
- THE LITTLE FOXES 35MM d. William Wyler, 1941 at BFI Southbank (09 AUG 18:00).
- THE MASTER 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 at The Prince Charles (09 AUG 20:30).
- THE PLAYER d. Robert Altman, 1992 at The Prince Charles (09 AUG 17:40).
- SEXY BEAST d. Jonathan Glazer, 2000 at Picturehouse Bromley (09 AUG 19:45).
- 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU d. Gil Junger, 1999 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (09 AUG 20:45).
- BEASTIE BOYS STORY d. Spike Jonze, 2020 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (09 AUG 20:00).
- MONA LISA d. Neil Jordan, 1986 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (09 AUG 20:30).
- MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (09 AUG 18:00).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Also (06 to 12 AUG various): GOODFELLAS 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 AUG various) // PROFILE d. Timur Bekmambetov, 2018 at Rich Mix (06 to 12 AUG various) // WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 (daily 06 to 12 AUG various).
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- Irish Film Festival London in venues & online (16 to 20 NOV 2022)
- ALT/KINO presents OJOBOCA: True Counterfeits + Q&A at ICA (19 NOV 2022)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.