MONDAY 12 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
ADOPTION aka Örökbefogadás d. Márta Mészáros, 1975 + Recorded Intro by Selina Robertson, Club des Femmes at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 18:00) / Part of THE CINEMA OF MÁRTA MÉSZÁROS.
- “This is a film full of strong female faces – looking directly to camera, or each other. When Kata’s (Katalin Berek) married lover refuses her wish for a child, their apparently mutually cozy arrangement is shattered, but something else, more satisfying, starts to develop. This award-winning intergenerational story of female empowerment has its feet firmly on the ground, and compelling performances from Berek and Gyöngyvér Vígh (as teenager Anna) at the core.”
- 35 SHOTS OF RUM 35MM aka 35 Rhums d. Claire Denis, 2008 at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 20:45).
- ADOPTION aka Örökbefogadás d. Márta Mészáros, 1975 + Recorded Intro by Selina Robertson, Club des Femmes at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 18:00).
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 13:30).
- THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE d. Dario Argento, 1970 4K Restoration at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 16:20).
- BLACK GIRL aka La noire de… d. Ousmane Sembène, 1966 + Short: I BIT MY TONGUE d. Nina Khada, 2020 at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 18:20).
- BLUE VELVET 35MM d. David Lynch, 1986 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 15:30).
- BRASSED OFF d. Mark Herman, 1996 at Everyman Cinemas (12 JUL 18:00).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS 4K aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 20:50).
- DAY FOR NIGHT aka La nuit américaine d. François Truffaut, 1973 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 20:30).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K aka Ah Fei jing juen d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 14:30).
- DON’T GO GENTLE : A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2021 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 21:00).
- GAZELLE TWIN AND NYX: DEEP ENGLAND a performance film by Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (12 JUL 19:30).
- Homage To Juliette Gréco: ORPHÉE d. Jean Cocteau, 1950 + Lecture by Prof. Richard Dyer at Ciné Lumière (12 JUL 18:30).
- IT MUST BE HEAVEN d. Elia Suleiman, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (12 JUL 21:00).
- LA HAINE d. Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995 at Picturehouse Cinemas (12 JUL various).
- LOCAL HERO d. Bill Forsyth, 1983 at Picturehouse Bromley (12 JUL 19:45).
- LOST & BEAUTIFUL aka Bella e perduta d. Pietro Marcello, 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (12 JUL 12:15).
- THE PLAYER d. Robert Altman, 1992 at BFI Southbank (12 JUL 17:45).
- PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2002 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 18:15).
- SUMMER OF SOUL (… OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED) d. Questlove, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with the director presented by We Are Parable at Rich Mix (12 JUL 18:15).
- TOVE d. Zaida Bergroth, 2020 + Recorded Intro by the director & actor Alma Pöysti presented by Birds’ Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame at Barbican (12 JUL 14:30).
- TOVE d. Zaida Bergroth, 2020 + Recorded Intro by the director & actor Alma Pöysti + Panel with Natania Jansz & Paul Gravett presented by Birds’ Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame at Regent Street Cinema (12 JUL 19:00).
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35MM d. Rob Reiner, 1989 at The Prince Charles (12 JUL 18:40).
- DIRTY DANCING d. Emile Ardolino, 1987 at Bar Elba SE1 (12 JUL 21:00).
- JUDAS & THE BLACK MESSIAH d. Shaka King, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (12 JUL 21:15).
- PERSEPOLIS d. Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi, 2007 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (12 JUL 20:00).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- Kendal Mountain Festival UK Tour (15 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
- Also (other venues may be available!): OEDORA d. Judith Abensour, 2021 at ICA // THE LETTER d. Maia Lekow & Christopher King, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse // NASHVILLE d. Robert Altman, 1975 at Catford Mews // THE SURROGATE d. Jeremy Hersh, 2020 at Barbican / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRAINSPOTTING d. Danny Boyle, 1996 at Catford Mews // THE TRUFFLE HUNTERS Michael Dweck & Gregory Kershaw, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.