MONDAY 16 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
KIDS d. Larry Clark, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (16 JAN 19:30).
“Korine was a precocious eighteen-year-old when he wrote the taut and unflinching screenplay for Larry Clark’s still controversial semi-documentary about destructive New York City youth driven by unfettered hedonism and a quenchless thirst for drugs, skateboarding and spontaneous sex. Together Korine and Clark created a dark, alarming and deeply compelling cautionary tale about youth whose moral compass has gone fatally awry, drifting in a narcissistic and lonely fog, naïve to the world around them.” (Deeper Into Movies
- Back to the OFFICE at Genesis Cinema (16 JAN 19:00).
- CRUEL INTENTIONS d. Roger Kumble, 1999 presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (16 JAN 19:00).
- KIDS d. Larry Clark, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (16 JAN 19:30).
- VOLVER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2006 + Tapas presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (16 JAN 19:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: WRITTEN ON THE WIND d. Douglas Sirk, 1956 at Regent Street Cinema (16 JAN 13:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- RATATOUILLE 35mmd. Brad Bird, 2007 (16 JAN 18:00 – £1 Members Film).
- BRICK 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2005 (16 JAN 20:50).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 26 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Social Status: DODES’KA-DEN 35mm aka Dodesukaden d. Akira Kurosawa, 1970 (16 JAN 17:50).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- VIDEODROME d. David Cronenberg, 1983 (16 JAN 13:30).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- THE VELVET QUEEN: SNOW LEOPARD d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (16 JAN 20:20).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1970 (16 JAN 15:00).
- ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST d. Milos Forman, 1975 (16 JAN 20:00).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- WHIPLASH d. Damien Chazelle, 2014 (16 JAN 18:15).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
SCI-FI SELECTIONS at The Prince Charles
- EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. The Daniels, 2022 (16 JAN 20:35 – 4K).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 78= A BRIGHTER SUMMER DAY aka Guling jie shaonian sha ren shijian d. Edward Yang, 1991 (16 JAN 18:30).
STAFF PICKS at The Garden Cinema
- ALI: FEAR EATS THE SOUL d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (16 JAN 15:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (16 JAN 15:45 – 4K).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
Also 13 to 19 JAN 2023 (various dates / times):
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière (from 19 JAN).
- THE OLD WAY d. Brett Donowho, 2023 at: The Prince Charles.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THIS STOLEN COUNTRY d. Marc Wiese, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse (from 14 JAN).
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.