MONDAY 16 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Ukraine Fundraiser: SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS d. Sergei Paradjanov, 1965 + Zoom Q&A with the film restoration expert, Daniel Bird raising funds for Dovzhenko Film Centre in Kyiv at King’s College London (16 MAY 19:00 – Donation requested).
“We are excited to present a rare opportunity to see the 2015 50th anniversary fully restored version of the most internationally awarded Ukrainian film and classic of magical realism, SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS. The film will be followed by a Zoom Q&A with colour film restoration expert Daniel Bird, who has worked on restoring Paradjanov’s colour work as well as many other East European films.”
“This screening is made possible by the Dovzhenko Film Centre in Kyiv. The Russian invasion has disrupted funding, making it not only impossible for the Centre to cover basic costs such as utilities or to continue its regular activities, but also to pay its staff salaries. Therefore, all donations from this screening will go to support the Dovzhenko Film Centre.”
- ACCESS TO ARTS: BREAKING THE CLASS CEILING d. Hannah Karpel, 2022 + Panel discussion at Everyman King’s Cross (16 MAY 17:45 – FREE!).
- A THOUSAND CUTS d. Ramona S. Diaz, 2020 + Panel discussion hosted by Article-19 at Bertha DocHouse (16 MAY 18:20 – FREE!).
- FRANCIS BACON: A BRUSH WITH VIOLENCE d. Richard Curson Smith, 2017 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (16 MAY 19:30).
- THE FRENCH DISPATCH d. Wes Anderson, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (16 MAY 20:00 / 17 MAY 20:00 / 18 MAY 20:00 / 22 MAY 17:00).
- GASPAR NOÉ PRESENTS: THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE aka L’uccello dalle piume di cristallo d. Dario Argento, 1970 at Picturehouse Cinemas (16 MAY various).
- I’M SO EXCITED! aka Los amantes pasajeros d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2013 + Intro + Tapas presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (16 MAY 19:00).
- JULES ET JIM d. François Truffaut, 1962 at Regent Street Cinema (16 MAY 19:15 / 18 MAY 17:10).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS d. Sergei Paradjanov, 1965 + Zoom Q&A with the film restoration expert, Daniel Bird raising funds for Dovzhenko Film Centre in Kyiv at King’s College London (16 MAY 19:00 – Donation requested).
- THE WALL OF SHADOWS d. Eliza Kubarska, 2020 + Q&A with producer Monika Braid presented by Adventure Club at Genesis Cinema (16 MAY 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER 35mm aka Todo sobre mi madre d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (16 MAY 15:40).
- ENTER THE DRAGON [Uncut] 35mm d. Robert Clouse, 1973 (16 MAY 18:10).
- PREDATOR 35mm d. John McTiernan, 1987 (16 MAY 20:45).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Studio Ghibli: CASTLE IN THE SKY aka Tenku no shnilo Rapyuta d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1986 (16 MAY 20:30).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- THE VELVET QUEEN aka La Panthère des neiges d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (until 23 MAY).
- LOST ILLUSIONS aka Les Illusions perduesd. Xavier Giannoli, 2021 (16 MAY 20:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- EL SUR aka The South d. Víctor Erice, 1983 (16 MAY 18:10).
- A FAREWELL TO ARMS d. Frank Borzage, 1932 (16 MAY 18:15).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- THEM 35mm aka Ils d. David Moreau & Xavier Palud, 2006 (16 MAY 20:50).
- Talks etc: Horror à la Française recorded panel discussion (online 11 to 31 MAY).
- Releases: VORTEX d. Gaspar Noé, 2021 (until 26 MAY).
GASPAR NOÉ at Genesis Cinema
- LOVE d. Gaspar Noé, 2015 (16 MAY 20:50).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- THE TERMINAL MAN [Director’s Cut] 35mm d. Mike Hodges, 1974 (16 MAY 20:40).
- Re-releases: CROUPIER d. Mike Hodges, 1998 (16 MAY 18:05).
SCI-FI MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- PREDATOR 35mm d. John McTiernan, 1987 (16 MAY 20:45).
- Beyond Words French Literature Festival (16 to 22 MAY).
- Focus Hong Kong (12 to 13 MAY).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- Queer East Film Festival (18 to 29 MAY).
- Sci-Fi London (19 to 22 MAY).
- SERET International Israeli Film Festival (12 to 19 MAY).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 15 MAY 2022).
- Village Screen Film Week (10 to 15 MAY).
THE DROVER’S WIFE: THE LEGEND OF MOLLY JOHNSON dir. Leah Purcell, 2021:
- Also 13 to 19 MAY (various dates/times): FIRESTARTER d. Keith Thomas, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas // THE WALL OF SHADOWS d. Eliza Kubarska, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHO KILLED THE KLF? d. Chris Atkins, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.