MONDAY 23 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
PANIC ROOM d. David Fincher, 2002 presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (23 JAN 19:00 – last few tickets left!).
“This week Transmissions presents a deep cut from the legendary David Fincher as the penultimate screening of our January season.”
“Intergenerational lesbian classic Panic Room (2002) sees Jodie Foster and Kristen Stewart desperately trying to avoid interacting with Jared Leto in cornrows in this slick, relentless home-invasion thriller that showcases Fincher’s textbook precision and ambitious visual effects.”
“As always, Transmissions is a space designed to be a home to the trans community, and we’re here to welcome you every Monday. So come grab a drink at the bar, meet some regulars (maybe even become one?) and see why Transmissions is packed week after week.” (Transmissions)
- Monday Classic Matinée: AN AMERICAN IN PARIS d. Vincente Minnelli, 1951 at Regent Street Cinema (23 JAN 13:00).
- BACK TO THE OFFICE – PART 2 at Genesis Cinema (23 JAN 19:00).
- THE DRIVER d. Walter Hill, 1978 at Riverside Studios (23 JAN 15:00).
- GHOST IN THE SHELL aka Kôkaku Kidôtai d. Mamoru Oshii, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (23 JAN 19:30).
- GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO d. Guillermo del Toro + Q&A with the director at Curzon Soho (23 JAN 18:45).
- THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (23 JAN 20:00 / 24 JAN 20:00 / 25 JAN 20:00 / 29 JAN 17:00).
- PANIC ROOM d. David Fincher, 2002 presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (23 JAN 19:00).
- Mark Kermode Live in 3D at BFI Southbank (23 JAN 18:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- THE BROTHERS BLOOM 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2009 (23 JAN 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 26 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- THE WAGES OF FEAR d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953 (23 JAN 17:30).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- CHINATOWN d. Roman Polanski, 1974 (23 JAN 15:00).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (20 to 26 JAN).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- SORCERER d. William Friedkin, 1977 (23 JAN 20:45).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- LONG WEEKEND + BETWEEN THE TIDES 35mm ds. Colin Eggleston, 1978 + Ralph Keene, 1959 (23 JAN 20:30).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 72= JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia d. Roberto Rossellini, 1954 (23 JAN 14:30).
- 67= THE GLEANERS AND I aka Les glaneurs et la glaneuse + LA JETÉEds. Agnès Varda, 2000 + Chris Marker, 1962 (23 JAN 18:10).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (23 JAN 15:30).
- SEVEN BEAUTIES d. Lina Wertmüller, 1976 (23 JAN 18:00).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
BABYLON dir Damien Chazelle, 2022
Also 20 to 26 JAN (various dates/times):
- ALICE DARLING d. Mary Nighy, 2022 at: Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema
- HIDE & SEEK aka Nascondino d. Victoria Fiore, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2023 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.