MONDAY 27 JUNE 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm d. Alan Clarke, 1985 + Q&A with Phil Daniels, Louise Gold & Eve Ferret presented by Lost Vampires at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 18:15).
“Rarely screened cult musical is one of the boldest and strangest films ever to emerge from the UK, a unique collaboration between director Alan Clarke, writer Trevor Preston and composer George Fenton.”
Up-and-coming snooker player, Billy Kid (Phil Daniels) is manipulated by his debt-ridden manager, T.O. (Bruce Payne) into a high-stakes grudge match with The Vampire – world champion Maxwell Randall (Alun Armstrong) – the loser agreeing never to play the professional game again. With a rousing musical score performed in surreal theatrical settings, the drama builds to a truly nail-biting snooker game climax. Part gangster parody, part rock opera, part social commentary, critic Peter Wollen described it as “arguably [Alan Clarke’s] best film” and Anne Billson proposed it was one of the “most undervalued and underseen” films of the 1980s.”
- BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm d. Alan Clarke, 1985 + Q&A with Phil Daniels, Louise Gold & Eve Ferret presented by Lost Vampires at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 18:15).
- THE CAMERA IS OURS: BRITAIN’S WOMEN DOCUMENTARY MAKERS d. various at JW3 (27 JUN 12:45).
- CLUE d. Jonathan Lynn, 1985 + Intro by Rose Matafeo at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 20:45).
- ERIC RAVILIOUS: DRAWN TO WAR d. Margy Kinmonth, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Mayfair (27 JUN 18:20).
- ICHI THE KILLER d. Takashi Miike, 2001 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (27 JUN 19:30).
- LICORICE PIZZA d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (27 JUN 20:00 / 28 JUN 20:00 / 29 JUN 20:00 / 03 JUL 17:00).
- PRIDE d. Matthew Warchus, 2014 presented by Unicorn Nights at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 21:00).
- UNDER YOUR NOSE d. Veronica McKenzie, 2014 + Q&A presented by The Batty Mama at Stanley Arts (27 JUN 19:30).
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (WOFFF) – ‘Old, Bold, and Queer’ Pride Shorts at Riverside Studios (27 JUN 12:10).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE d. Alan Clarke, 1985 + Q&A with Phil Daniels presented by Lost Vampires (27 JUN 18:15).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS d. John Glen, 1987 (27 JUN 17:55 – 4K).
ALFRED HITCHCOCK IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 (27 JUN 13:00 – 4K).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AFTER BRESSON… at BFI Southbank
- 71 FRAGMENTS OF A CHRONOLOGY OF CHANCE aka 71 Fragmente einer Chronologie des Zufalls d. Michael Haneke, 1994 (27 JUN 21:00).
CELEBRATING ANNA MAGNANI at The Garden Cinema
- ROME, OPEN CITY d. Roberto Rossellini, 1945 (27 JUN 18:00).
CELEBRATING FILM NOIR at The Garden Cinema
- KISS ME DEADLY d. Robert Aldrich, 1955 (27 JUN 20:15).
MENELIK SHABAZZ – FOR THE PEOPLE at BFI Southbank
- BURNING AN ILLUSION Restored version d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 + Intro by actor Cassie McFarlane (27 JUN 18:00).
OF SIN & SALVATION: THE CINEMA OF ROBERT BRESSON at BFI Southbank
- THE DEVIL, PROBABLY aka Le Diable probablement Restoration d. Robert Bresson, 1977 (27 JUN 20:30).
- Re-releases: PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (03 JUN to 30 JUN various).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- FIRE AT SEA aka Fuocoammare d. Gianfranco Rosi, 2015 + Short: FOOTSTEPS IN THE WIND (27 JUN 18:05).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (27 JUN 12:45).
- HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (27 JUN 15:40 – 4K).
- The Hornet Student Film Festival (26 JUN).
- London Bengali Film Festival (21 to 26 JUN).
- London Indian Film Festival (23 JUN to 05 JUL).
- ‘Queer’ Asia Film Festival – London (25 JUN to 26 JUN).
- RAFT Festival (10 JUN to 08 JUL).
- Sohome Horror Pride 2022 (24 to 26 JUN – online).
- Sunday Shorts Film Festival (26 JUN).
- Windrush Caribbean Film Festival (17 JUN to 17 JUL).
- Also 24 to 30 JUN (various dates/times): THE BIG HIT aka Un Triomphe d. Emmanuel Courcol, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas // CHILDREN OF THE ENEMY d. Gorki Glaser-Muller, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // WINGS OF DESIRE 4K Restoration aka Der Himmel über Berlin d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at: BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.