MONDAY 27 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
DRAGON INN d. King Hu, 1967 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 18:00).
- “After having the emperor’s minister of defense executed, a power-grabbing eunuch sends assassins to trail the victim’s children to a remote point on the northern Chinese border. But that bloodthirsty mission is confounded by a mysterious group of fighters who arrive on the scene, intent on delivering justice and defending the innocent.”
GOODBYE, DRAGON INN d. Ming-liang Tsai, 2003 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 20:35).
- “In Taipei, a movie theater is closing, but not before one final film is shown – DRAGON INN, a 1967 actioner and the source of nostalgia for the moviegoers and employees in the old, decrepit and possibly haunted building. The workers include eccentric projectionist Hsiao-Kang (Lee Kang-sheng) and a crippled cashier (Shiang-chyi Chen). The patrons include a Japanese tourist (Kiyonobu Mitamura) and two ghostly actors from the original film who have come to mourn the passing of an era.”
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Olympic Studios (27 SEP 20:30).
- THE AMERICAN FRIEND 35MM aka Der amerikanische Freund d. Wim Wenders, 1977 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 12:30).
- THE BABADOOK d. Jennifer Kent, 2014 at Picturehouse Cinemas (27 SEP various).
- THE BIG HEAT d. Fritz Lang, 1953 at BFI (27 SEP 17:50).
- DRAGON INN d. King Hu, 1967 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 18:00).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at Everyman Cinemas (27 SEP various).
- GOODBYE, DRAGON INN d. Ming-liang Tsai, 2003 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 20:35).
- GUNPOWDER MILKSHAKE 35mm d. Navot Papushado, 2021 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 13:15).
- IT MUST BE HEAVEN d. Elia Suleiman, 2019 at BFI (27 SEP 18:00).
- LADY SINGS THE BLUES d. Sidney J Furie, 1972 at BFI (27 SEP 20:20).
- LA PISCINE aka The Swimming Pool d. Jacques Deray, 1969 at The Prince Charles (27 SEP 15:15).
- THE MALTESE FALCON d. John Huston, 1941 at Regent Street Cinema (27 SEP 14:00).
- SWANS WHERE DOES A BODY END? presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (27 SEP 19:30).
- TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at BFI (27 SEP 20:45).
- Wong Kar-wai Lecture by Tony Rayns presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Standard (27 SEP 20:00 – FREE).
- THE WARRIOR QUEEN OF JHANSI d. Swati Bhise, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (27 SEP 20:00).
- JEFF BUCKLEY LIVE IN CHICAGO at Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (27 SEP 20:00).
- Alyssa: Tunisian Film Festival (25 to 26 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- EFN Short Film Festival (27 SEP to 01 OCT).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online).
- Little Wing Film Festival (21 to 26 SEP).
- Loco Shorts Weekender (24 to 26 SEP).
- London Indian Film Festival Autumn Edition (18 to 30 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (23 to 29 SEP).
- New Renaissance Film Festival (24 to 26 SEP).
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP).
- Unrestricted View Horror Film Festival (20 to 25 SEP).
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (25 SEP to 02 OCT).
- World Cinema Film Festival (24 to 25 SEP / Online 19 to 26 SEP).
- Also (24 to 30 SEP various dates/times): DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at: Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema // THE GREEN KNIGHT d. David Lowery, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Cinema in the Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema // PICTURE STORIES d. Rob West, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 at: BFI / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).
- Sonic Cinema presents A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 2021).
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!
- Twisted Folk, a season of folk horror films at Catford Mews (02 OCT to 10 NOV 2021).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.