MONDAY 28 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
AN EXPERIENCE TO DIE FOR d. Kim Ki-Young, 1990 presented by Korean Film Nights at Genesis Cinema (28 FEB 18:30).
“Two women with unfaithful husbands make a deal to kill each other’s husbands. Produced in 1990, Kim was so disappointed with the outcome that he chose not to release it. The film was submitted to the censors twice — once in 1990 and again in 1995 — but was not screened for the public until the 1998 Busan International Film Festival, following Kim’s untimely death in a house fire.”
- Preview: ALI & AVA d. Clio Barnard, 2021 + Q&A with writer-director Clio Barnard and producer Tracy O’Riordan at BFI Southbank (28 FEB 20:20).
- AN EXPERIENCE TO DIE FOR d. Kim Ki-Young, 1990 presented by Korean Film Nights at Genesis Cinema (28 FEB 18:30).
- CITY LIGHTS d. Charlie Chaplin, 1931 at Ciné Lumière (28 FEB 18:20).
- HOUSE OF GUCCI d. Ridley Scott, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (28 FEB 20:00).
- LORRAINE HANSBERRY: SIGHTED EYES/FEELING HEARTS d. Tracy Heather Strain, 2017 presented by The Batty Mama at Stanley Arts (28 FEB 19:30 – FREE!).
- LYDIA LUNCH: THE WAR IS NEVER OVER d. Beth B, 2019 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (28 FEB 19:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); A TASTE OF CHERRY 35mmd. Abbas Kiarostami, 1987 (28 FEB 18:05).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (28 FEB 20:45).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 (28 FEB 12:15); THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (28 FEB 12:30 – 4K).
- Includes (check venue for listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 19 MAR various); BELFAST d. Kenneth Branagh, 2021 (28 FEB 12:15); THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (28 FEB 12:30 – 4K); DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (28 FEB 12:35); WEST SIDE STORY d. Steven Spielberg, 2021 (28 FEB 20:05).
REWARDING DOCS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (until 01 MAR various); SUMMER OF SOUL d. Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, 2021 (28 FEB 15:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES d. Isao Takahata, 1988 (from 26 FEB); NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1984 (from 26 FEB).
THREE FROM STEVE MCQUEEN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 (28 FEB 20:30).
TWO BY RYÛSUKE HAMAGUCHI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (28 FEB 12:35).
- Cinema Made in Italy (03 to 07 MAR).
- Glasgow Film Festival (02 to 13 MAR).
- Kendal Mountain Film Festival Tour (03 MAR).
- Also 25 FEB to 03 MAR (various dates/times): A STARRY SKY ABOVE THE ROMAN GHETTO d. Giulio Base, 2020 at: JW3 (from 02 MAR) // STUDIO 666 d. BJ McDonnell, 2022 at: Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // VIVOS d. Ai Weiwei, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.