MONDAY: What’s on in London today [30/01/23]
MONDAY 30 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
Double-bill: TONGUES UNTIED + MOONLIGHT ds. Marlon Riggs, 1989 + Barry Jenkins, 2016 + Intro by JoJo Bossman, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (30 JAN 17:30).
“Before our season finale presentation of Moonlight (2016), we are proud to present Marlon Riggs’ vital experimental documentary, Tongues Untied (1989) which blends poetry, portraiture, and political declaration into a vivid preservation of black queer lives.”
“As immersive as Paris Is Burning – and featuring some of the same faces – but told from the inside rather than by a white observer, Riggs’ unapologetic piece is a real must-see for anyone interested in our shared history and the best queer cinema has to offer.” (Transmissions)
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Panel discussion, raising funds for Positive East at Rio Cinema (30 JAN 18:15).
- DAISIES aka Sedmikrásky d. Vera Chytilová, 1966 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (30 JAN 19:30).
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (30 JAN 20:00 / 31 JAN 20:00 / 01 FEB 20:00 / 05 FEB 17:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: FATHER OF THE BRIDE d. Vincente Minnelli, 1950 at Regent Street Cinema (30 JAN 13:00).
- REDS d. Warren Beatty, 1981 at Riverside Studios (30 JAN 13:30).
- THE SUBSTITUTE d. Diego Lerman, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Genesis Cinema (30 JAN 18:15).
- Double-bill: TONGUES UNTIED + MOONLIGHT ds. Marlon Riggs, 1989 + Barry Jenkins, 2016 + Intro by JoJo Bossman, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (30 JAN 17:30).
- WOMEN TALKING d. Sarah Polley, 2023 + Q&A at Curzon Soho (30 JAN 18:15).
Check venues for full listings…
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (30 JAN 12:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
- SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022: 67= METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (30 JAN 16:30).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Social Status: THE LOWER DEPTHS 35mm aka Donzoku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 (30 JAN 20:20).
- Relaxed screening: THE HIDDEN FORTRESS aka Kakushi Toride no San-Akunin d. Akira Kurosawa, 1958 + Intro & discussion (30 JAN 18:00)
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 02 FEB).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE SHINING d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (30 JAN 14:55).
- THE PASSENGER d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1975 (30 JAN 20:30).
CHAZELLE SEASON at Genesis Cinema
- BABYLON d. Damien Chazelle, 2023 (until 02 FEB).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND d. Michel Gondry, 2004 (30 JAN 12:30).
- THE FUNERAL d. Jûzô Itami, 1984 (30 JAN 18:00).
- TAMPOPO d. Jûzô Itami, 1985 (30 JAN 20:45 – 4K).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkins, 2019 (30 JAN 20:50).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkins, 2022 (until 02 FEB).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 78= SUNSET BOULEVARD d. Billy Wilder, 1950 (30 JAN 17:50).
- 72= L’AVVENTURA aka The Adventure d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960 (30 JAN 20:15).
- BFI IMAX: 67= METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (30 JAN 16:30).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (30 JAN 20:30).
- London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED dir Laura Poitras, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
THE FABELMANS dir Steven Spielberg, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / JW3 / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios
Also 27 JAN to 02 FEB (various dates/times):
- JANUARY d. Andrey Paounov, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.