SATURDAY 02 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE DEER d. Masoud Kimiai, 1974 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (02 OCT 20:15).
- “For two consecutive decades and in various Iranian critics’ poll, THE DEER has occupied the very top place as ‘the best Iranian film ever made.’ Premiered at Tehran International Film Festival in November 1974 but opened in Tehran cinemas with a year-long gap (on 28 January 1976), the film severely suffered from censorship. Almost unseen outside Iran, this is a rare chance to see a poignant and essential moment in film history when cinema and politics clash.”
- ABOU LEILA d. Amin Sidi-Boumédiène, 2019 at BFI (02 OCT 20:30).
- ARRIVAL d. Denis Villeneuve, 2016 at BFI (02 OCT 17:30).
- THE BLACK CAULDRON d. Ted Berman & Richard Rich, 1985 at The Prince Charles (02 OCT 16:10).
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS 4K aka Chung Hing sam lam d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 at BFI (02 OCT 15:15).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD 4k aka Ah Fei jing juen d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at BFI (02 OCT 12:30).
- THE DEER d. Masoud Kimiai, 1974 + Intro by Ehsan Khoshbakht at Close-Up (02 OCT 20:15).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 at The Prince Charles (01 to 05 OCT various).
- DON’T LOOK NOW d. Nicolas Roeg, 1973 at The Prince Charles (02 OCT 13:30).
- DOUBLE INDEMNITY d. Billy Wilder, 1944 at BFI (02 OCT 20:50).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at ICA (02 OCT 13:30).
- HAPPY TOGETHER 4k aka Chun gwong cha sit d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 at BFI (02 OCT 20:40).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI (02 OCT 18:10).
- MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Catford Mews (02 OCT 20:30)
- NADJA 35mm d. Michael Almereyda, 1994 at ICA (02 OCT 19:15).
- OF TIME & THE CITY d. Terence Davies, 2008 + Q&A with the director at BFI (02 OCT 14:15).
- PREDATOR 35mm d. John McTiernan, 1987 at The Prince Charles (02 OCT 20:45).
- RICHARD PRYOR… HERE AND NOW 35mm d. Richard Pryor, 1983 at BFI (02 OCT 18:00).
- ROCKS d. Sarah Gavron, 2019 + Q&A with the director at BFI (02 OCT 17:30).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4k aka La Permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI Southbank (02 OCT 15:30).
- THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 35mm d. Tobe Hooper, 1974 at The Prince Charles (02 OCT 21:00).
- THE THIRD MAN 4k d. Carol Reed, 1949 at BFI (02 OCT 11:30).
- UBI SUNT + GOLDEN DAWN + IMPERIAL GIEL + A COMUNIDADE d. Salomé Lamas, 2017, 2011, 2012 & 2012 at ICA (02 OCT 14:40).
- THE WATERMELON WOMAN d. Cheryl Dunye, 1996 at Riverside Studios (02 OCT 14:00).
- YOU WILL DIE AT TWENTY aka Satamoto fel eshreen d. Amjad Abu Alala, 2019 at BFI (02 OCT 14:20).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY d. Bryan Singer, 2018 at The Luna Cinema at Wandsworth Park (02 OCT 19:30).
- BFI London Film Festival (06 to 17 OCT).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- EFN Short Film Festival (27 SEP to 01 OCT).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest programme launch (05 OCT)
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (25 SEP to 02 OCT).
BELLY OF THE BEAST d. Erika Cohn, 2020.
- Various venues inc: Bertha DocHouse
EMA d. Pablo Larraín, 2019.
- Various venues inc: ICA
OLIVER SACKS: HIS OWN LIFE d. Ric Burns, 2019.
- Various venues inc: Ciné Lumière
- Also (01 to 07 OCT various dates/times): FAUCI d. John Hoffman & Janet Tobias, 2021 at: JW3 // FRIDA – VIVA LA VIDA d. Giovanni Troilo, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // MY NAME IS PAULI MURRAY d. Julie Coleman, 2021 at: Watermans // SONG WITHOUT A NAME aka Canción sin nombre d. Melina León, 2019 at: ICA.
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).
- Sonic Cinema presents A Masterclass with Dirk Schaefer at IKLECTIK (24 OCT 2021).
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!
- Twisted Folk, a season of folk horror films at Catford Mews (02 OCT to 10 NOV 2021).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.