SATURDAY 03 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
VOICE OF SILENCE d. Hong Eui-jeong, 2021 at Curzon Soho (03 JUL 15:00) / Part of London Korean Film Festival Teaser Screenings.
- “Sometimes good people do bad things. Chang-bok (Yoo Jae-myung) and Tae-in (Yoo Ah-in) run a humble business selling eggs. The bulk of their income comes from providing spotless crime scene clean-up services to the criminal fraternity. Then, they are asked to babysit a kidnap victim just until the ransom is paid. They reluctantly agree and Tae-in is left to care for Cho-hee (Moon Seung-ah), a bright, capable 11-year-old girl who is soon re-arranging his world. A beautifully shot, bittersweet crime caper with an award-winning performance from Burning’s Yoo Ah-in.”
- ANT MAN & THE WASP d. Peyton Reed, 2018 + Visual FX Workshop for young people presented by Stow Film Lounge at Priory Court Community Centre E17 (03 JUL 16:00 + 16:30 – FREE!).
- A SON d. Mehdi Barsaoui, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (03 JUL 20:35) / Part of SAFAR Film Festival.
- BLACK GIRL aka La noire de… d. Ousmane Sembène, 1966 + Short: I BIT MY TONGUE d. Nina Khada, 2020 presented by T A P E Collective at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 11:40).
- BURNING AN ILLUSION 35MM d. Menelik Shabazz, 1981 + Short: BUT YOU’RE NOT BLACK d. Danielle Ayow, 2019 presented by T A P E Collective at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 14:20).
- DON’T GO GENTLE: A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2020 + Q&A with producer/former band member Andy Stewart at Genesis Cinema (03 JUL 17:30) / Part of Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings.
- THE DREAM d. Mohamad Malas, 1987 + ScreenTalk at Barbican Cinema (03 JUL 15:30) / Part of SAFAR Film Festival.
- DUNE 70MM d. David Lynch, 1984 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 11:40).
- HEATHERS d. Michael Lehmann, 1988 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 21:00).
- HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY d. John Ford, 1941 at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 11:30).
- IVAN’S CHILDHOOD d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1962 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 15:30).
- THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU d. Wes Anderson, 2004 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 14:40).
- LIVE AND LET DIE d. Guy Hamilton, 1973 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 17:30).
- LOOKING FOR GILLES CARON aka Gilles Caron: Histoire d’un regard d. Mariana Otero, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (03 JUL 18:30).
- THE PHILADELPHIA STORY d. George Cukor, 1940 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 12:30).
- THE PLAYER d. Robert Altman, 1992 at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 20:40).
- PRÊT-À-PORTER 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1994 at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 18:05).
- PULP FICTION 35MM d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 20:30).
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2020 presented by Deptford Cinema at Deptford Lounge (03 JUL 19:00).
- SOLARIS d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972 at Close-Up Film Centre (03 JUL 19:15).
- TRUE ROMANCE 35MM d. Tony Scott, 1993 at The Prince Charles (03 JUL 18:00).
- ULTRAVIOLENCE d. Ken Fero, 2020 at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 20:45).
- VINCENT AND THEO 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1990 at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 11:20).
- VOICE OF SILENCE d. Hong Eui-jeong, 2021 at Curzon Soho (03 JUL 15:00) / Part of London Korean Film Festival Teaser Screenings / Today’s featured attraction!
- WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT d. Robert Zemeckis, 1988 + Visual FX Workshop for young people presented by Stow Film Lounge at Priory Court Community Centre E17 (03 JUL 19:00 + 19:30).
- WHILE WE LIVE aka Medan vi lever d. Dani Kouyaté, 2016 + Short: LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER d. Roxy Rezvany, 2020 presented by T A P E Collective at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 17:30).
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 at BFI Southbank (03 JUL 18:10).
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY d. Bryan Singer, 2018 at Bar Elba SE1 (03 JUL 19:00).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Bar Elba SE1 (03 JUL 14:00).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at The Luna Cinema at Brockwell Park (03 JUL 21:15).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (03 JUL 21:15).
- INDEPENDENCE DAY d. Roland Emmerich, 1996 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (03 JUL 21:30).
- Bagri Foundation London Indian Film Festival (17 JUN to 04 JUL).
- Doc’n Roll Festival – Summer Screenings (JUN & JUL).
- London Korean Film Festival – Teaser Screenings (JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 06 JUL).
- Sohome Horror Fest Pride 2021 (02 to 04 JUL online).
ANOTHER ROUND d. Thomas Vinterberg, 2021
- Daily, inc: Archlight Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle / Catford Mews / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
LADY BOSS: THE JACKIE COLLINS STORY d. Laurie Fairrie, 2021
- Daily, inc: Curzon Cinemas
- Also (other films/venues may be available!): DON’T GO GENTLE: A FILM ABOUT IDLES d. Mark Archer, 2020 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily 02 to 08 JUL various times).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.