SATURDAY 05 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
HOUSE OF HUMMINGBIRD aka Beolsae d. Kim Bora, 2018 (05 FEB 20:20) / Part of SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank.
“In Seoul in 1994, 14-year-old Eun-Hee sits quietly in the background of her dysfunctional family. She has a close best friend and a secret boyfriend, yet still somehow feels like an outsider. Until she meets her new, free-spirited Chinese tutor, who seems truly to see her. Kim Bora’s semi-autobiographical directorial debut is a grand, beautiful introspective story of a summer when everything changes.” (BFI)
- African Odysseys: AFRICAN REDEMPTION: THE LIFE AND LEGACY OF MARCUS GARVEY d. Roy T Anderson, 2021 UK Premiere + Panel discussion at BFI Southbank (05 FEB 14:00).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 at The Prince Charles (05 FEB 17:45).
- MEMORIA d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2021 + Book launch + Recorded interview with Apichatpong Weerasethakul & Giovanni Marchini Camia at Close-Up (05 FEB 20:00).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (05 FEB 21:00 – “NO SPOONS (of any kind) and NO SHOUTING ALLOWED!”).
- THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (05 FEB 14:45).
- THE SOUVENIR PART II d. Joanna Hogg, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Central (05 FEB 15:00).
- STALKER d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979 at The Prince Charles (05 FEB 14:40).
- STREETS OF FIRE d. Walter Hill, 1984 at The Prince Charles (05 FEB 20:45).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 28 FEB various).
THE ABC OF ASTA NIELSEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DORA BRANDES d. Magnus Stifter, 1916 + Live piano accompaniment by Costas Fotopoulos (05 FEB 15:20); THE QUEEN OF THE STOCK EXCHANGE 35mm aka Die Börsenkönigin + THE GUINEA PIG aka Das Versuchskaninchen d. Edmund Edel, 1916 + Live piano accompaniment by John Sweeney (05 FEB 18:00).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (04 to 17 FEB various).
- See also STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER.
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): RENT 35mm d. Chris Columbus, 2005 (05 FEB 12:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE RETURN d. Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003 (05 FEB 18:00).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Hitchcock Truffaut: FINALLY SUNDAY! aka Vivement dimanche! d. François Truffaut, 1983 (05 FEB 17:50). The Literary Truffaut: ANNE AND MURIEL aka Les Deux Anglaises et le continent d. François Truffaut, 1971 (05 FEB 12:20); FAHRENHEIT 451 d. François Truffaut, 1966 (05 FEB 20:45). Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE 400 BLOWS aka Les Quatre cents coups d. François Truffaut, 1959 (05 FEB 13:30); JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 11 FEB various).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FIRESTARTER – THE STORY OF BANGARRA d. Wayne Blair & Nel Minchin, 2020 + Live video Q&A with Frances Rings, Associate Artistic Director, Bangarra Dance Theatre (05 FEB 18:00).
PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON 35MM LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for listings): THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 (05 FEB 22:30).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): HOUSE OF HUMMINGBIRD aka Beolsae d. Kim Bora, 2018 (05 FEB 20:20).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1986 (from 05 FEB); THE CAT RETURNS d. Hiroyuki Morita, 2002 (from 05 FEB).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2004 (05 FEB 12:00).
- Includes (check venue for listings): IWANE: SWORD OF SERENITY d. Katsuhide Motoki, 2019 (05 FEB 13:30); THE LONE UME TREE d. Kotaro Wajima, 2021 (05 FEB 16:00); BLUE d. Keisuke Yoshida, 2021 (05 FEB 17:50); COLORLESS d. Takashi Koyama, 2019 (05 FEB 20:20).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (05 FEB 12:30).
- London International Mime Festival (25 JAN to 05 FEB).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (20 JAN to 04 FEB).
- Also 04 to 10 FEB (various dates/times): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 at: BFI / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // KISS ME KOSHER d. Shirel Peleg, 2020 at: JW3 (from 10 FEB) // LINGUI, THE SACRED BONDS d. Mahamat-Saleh Haroun, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // NIGHTMARE ALLEY: VISIONS OF DARKNESS AND LIGHT d. Guillermo del Toro, 2021 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE ROSSELINIS d. Alessandro Rossellini, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- Crap Film Club presents ONE MAN FORCE at The Old Queens Head (03 OCT 2022)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.