SATURDAY 07 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT d. Edward Berger, 2022 + Q&A with the director, make-up & SFX designer Heike Merker, composer Volker Bertelmann, sound designer Frank Kruse, cinematographer James Friend & VFX supervisor Frank Petzold at Curzon Soho (07 JAN 17:30).
“ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT tells the gripping story of a young German soldier on the Western Front of World War I. Paul and his comrades experience first-hand how the initial euphoria of war turns into desperation and fear as they fight for their lives, and each other, in the trenches. The film from director Edward Berger is based on the world renowned bestseller of the same name by Erich Maria Remarque.”
- THE ADAMS FAMILY d. Barry Sonnenfeld, 1991 at The Garden Cinema (07 JAN 11:00 – Pay What You Can).
- ALPHAVILLE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 at Rio Cinema (07 JAN 18:15 / 08 JAN 13:30).
- ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT d. Edward Berger, 2022 + Q&A with the director, make-up & SFX designer Heike Merker; composer Volker Bertelmann; sound designer Frank Kruse, cinematographer James Friend & VFX supervisor Frank Petzold at Curzon Soho (07 JAN 17:30).
- THE DAY OF THE TREE Premiere + Q&A with Cast & Crew, climate workshops & an acoustic set from Dom Smyth at The Cinema Museum (07 JAN 15:00).
- THE DRIVER 4K d. Walter Hill, 1978 at ICA (07 JAN 12:10 / 08 JAN 12:10 / 11 JAN 14:00).
- LABYRINTH Movie Night & Bowie Disco! at The Clapham Grand (07 JAN 18:30).
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING [Extended Version] d. Peter Jackson, 2001 at The Prince Charles (07 JAN 11:30).
- African Odysseys: Hussein Shariffe: A Life Between Exile and Homecoming at BFI Southbank (07 JAN 12:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 (07 JAN 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 19 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- DUCK SOUP d. Leo McCarey, 1933 (07 JAN 15:45).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- ASCENSION d. Jessica Kingdon, 2020 (07 JAN 13:20).
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (07 JAN 17:30).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK d. George Miller, 1987 (07 JAN 15:00).
- FIVE EASY PIECES d. Bob Rafelson, 1970 (07 JAN 18:00).
DRUMROLL FOR FORTUITOUS HEROES at Ciné Lumière
- BECASSINE THE WACKIEST NANNY EVER d. Philippe Vidal, 2001 (07 JAN 14:00).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
THE FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH at The Prince Charles
- MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 (07 JAN 20:15).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (07 JAN 13:30).
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 + Intro/Q&A with writer Joanna Walsh (07 JAN 19:50).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 75= SPIRITED AWAY aka Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (07 JAN 12:10).
- 95=TROPICAL MALADY 35mm aka Sud pralad d. Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2004 (07 JAN 13:50).
- 84= HISTOIRE(S) DU CINÉMA d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1989-1999 Parts 1-8 + intervals (07 JAN 16:30).
- 95= ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST aka C’era una volta il Westd. Sergio Leone, 1968 (07 JAN 17:15).
- 84= BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 (07 JAN 20:30).
STAFF PICKS at The Garden Cinema
- SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS d. Alexander Mackendrick, 1957 (07 JAN 11:35).
STEVEN SPIELBERG FROM 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1977 (07 JAN 22:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 (07 JAN 17:45 – 4K).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
EMPIRE OF LIGHT dir Sam Mendes, 2023
- Various venues, inc (from 09 JAN): ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
- From 35mm (various dates): BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
Also 06 to 12 JAN (various dates / times / venues):
- CROWS ARE WHITE d. Ahsen Nadeem, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- HONG KONG FAMILY d. TSANG Hing Weng, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.