SATURDAY 07 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4K aka La Permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI Southbank (07, 08, 10 & 12 AUG) / Part of Cinema Rediscovered on Tour.
- “‘Among the great American films of the sixties’ (Richard Brody, New York Times). Melvin Van Peebles’ first feature is based on his own novel (written in French) and follows Turner, a Black American soldier stationed in France who’s granted a three-day pass of leave and travels to Paris, where he meets and falls for a white woman named Miriam. During the weekend, their romance throws up some of the casual and contradictory views on race found in the French capital at the time and Van Peebles deals with them head on and playfully, but with an element of subversion. With a look inspired by the French New Wave, this rarely seen picture is just waiting to be celebrated by a new generation in its new 4K restoration.” (featured image)
- A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS 4K aka Per un pugno di dollari d. Sergio Leone, 1964 (07 AUG 11:30) / FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE 4K aka Per qualche dollaro in più d. Sergio Leone, 1965 (07 AUG 14:00) / THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY 4K aka Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo d. Sergio Leone, 1966 (07 AUG 17:10) at BFI Southbank.
- THE ALAN WHICKER CENTENARY at BFI Southbank: Welcome to Whicker’s World + Intro (07 AUG 14:30); The Life and Legacy of Alan Whicker (07 AUG 17:40).
- EL FATHER PLAYS HIMSELF d. Mo Scarpelli, 2020 at ICA (07 AUG 16:15).
- THE GOLD RUSH d. Charles Chaplin, 1925 at The Prince Charles (07 AUG 12:15).
- THE HARD STOP d. George Amponsah, 2015 + Q&A with the director & co-writer Dionne Walker at ICA (07 AUG 20:00) / Part of War Inna Babylon: The Community’s Struggle for Truths and Rights.
- ISLE OF DOGS d. Wes Anderson, 2018 at The Prince Charles (07 AUG 15:00).
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 presented by Deptford Cinema at Deptford Lounge (07 AUG 19:00).
- ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS 4K d. Howard Hawks, 1939 at BFI Southbank (07 AUG 12:00).
- THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH & ESSEX 35MM d. Michael Curtiz, 1939 at BFI Southbank (07 AUG 15:00).
- SHOWGIRLS d. Paul Verhoeven, 1995 at The Prince Charles (07 AUG 21:00).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4K aka La Permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI Southbank (07 AUG 21:00) / Part of Cinema Rediscovered on Tour.
- THE STORY OF LOVER’S ROCK d. Menelik Shabazz, 2011 presented by Black History Studies at The Lexi Cinema (07 AUG 18:00) / Part of No Bass Like Home.
- THELMA & LOUISE d. Ridley Scott, 1991 at Everyman Broadgate (07 AUG 21:00).
- WHITE DOG d. Samuel Fuller, 1982 at BFI Southbank (07 AUG 20:50).
- WOLFWALKERS d. Tomm Moore & Ross Stewart, 2020 presented by Irish Film London at Rio Cinema (07 AUG 16:15).
- THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH 35MM d. Michael Apted, 1999 at The Prince Charles (07 AUG 17:30).
- Moving Image Salon featuring guest artist Himali Singh Soin presented online by Moving Image Artists (07 AUG 14:00 – FREE online/Booking essential!)
- SOUND OF NOMAD d. Kim So-young, 2016 + Recorded Q&A from Bertha DocHouse & Korean Film Festival (online from 05 AUG 19:00 to 07 AUG 23:59 – FREE!).
- AMÉLIE d. Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (07 AUG 20:45).
- THE GREATEST SHOWMAN SING-A-LONG d. Michael Gracey, 2017 at The Luna Cinema at Dulwich Park (07 AUG 20:45).
- THE GREAT GATSBY d. Baz Luhrmann, 2013 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (07 AUG 20:45).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Also (06 to 12 AUG various): GOODFELLAS 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1990 at The Prince Charles (06 to 12 AUG various) // PROFILE d. Timur Bekmambetov, 2018 at Rich Mix (06 to 12 AUG various) // WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (daily 06 to 12 AUG various).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
- Irish Film London presents the St Brigid’s Day Film Festival at Rio Cinema, Riverside Studios & online (03 to 05 FEB 2023).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.