SATURDAY 08 JANUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1996 at Ciné Lumière (08 JAN 20:30 / 09 JAN 20:00).
“Awarded the Special Jury Prize at the 1996 Cannes Film Festival for originality, daring and audacity, CRASH is director David Cronenberg’s controversial adaptation of writer J.G. Ballard’s hugely transgressive 1973 novel. James Ballard (James Spader), a film producer whose deviant sexual desires are awakened by a near fatal automobile accident with Dr Helen Remington (Holly Hunter), is drawn into an underground world of car crash fetishism. Technology and sexuality meet in a head-on collision.”
TITANE, Julia Ducournau’s Palme d’Or winning film was inspired by David Cronenberg’s CRASH & screens at the same venue & across town.
SATURDAY 08 JAN
- CRASH d. David Cronenberg, 1996 at Ciné Lumière (08 JAN 20:30).
- GORBACHEV. HEAVEN d. Vitaly Mansky, 2020 at ICA (08 JAN 15:45).
- VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 at The Prince Charles (08 JAN 17:20).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 (08 JAN 20:15).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): WITHNAIL & I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (08 JAN 15:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THE FILMS IN TRUFFAUT’S LIFE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES d. Howard Hawks, 1953 (08 JAN 16:00).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (until 13 JAN).
BOWIE: STARMAN & THE SILVER SCREEN at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LABYRINTH 4K d. Jim Henson, 1986 (08 JAN 12:00); MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE 4K d. Nagisa Oshima, 1983 (08 JAN 18:20); THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH 4K d. Nicolas Roeg, 1976 (08 JAN 20:10).
DENIS VILLENEUVE: IN REVERSE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021 (08 JAN 20:30).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Renoir Truffaut: THE LAST METRO aka Le Dernier métro d. François Truffaut, 1980 (08 JAN 17:10); POCKET MONEY aka L’ Argent de poche d. François Truffaut, 1976 (08 JAN 20:55).
JONAS MEKAS 100! at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE BRIG / AWARD PRESENTATION TO ANDY WARHOL d. Jonas Mekas, 1964 (08 JAN 18:45 & 20:15).
JULIA DUCOURNAU at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TITANE d. Julia Ducournau, 2021 (until 13 JAN).
PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON 35MM LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for listings): BOOGIE NIGHTS 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 1997 (08 JAN 22:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (until 13 JAN).
- London International Mime Festival (25 JAN to 05 FEB).
- London Short Film Festival (14 to 23 JAN).
- Night Of Ideas (27 JAN).
- Syrian Arts & Cultural Festival (20 JAN to 04 FEB).
- Also (07 to 13 JAN, various dates/times): A HERO aka Ghahreman d. Asghar Farhadi, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Peckhamplex / Rio Cinema // MINYAN d. Eric Steel, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / JW3 // MUNICH: THE EDGE OF WAR d. Christian Schwochow, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Cinema // OTHER, LIKE ME d. Marcus Werner Hed & Dan Fox, 2020 at: ICA.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.