SATURDAY 14 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Woman With a Movie Camera Preview: ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 at BFI Southbank (14 JAN 18:10).
“Laura Poitras (Citizenfour) examines the life and career of legendary photographer and activist Nan Goldin, and her efforts to hold Purdue Pharma, owned by the Sackler family, accountable for the opioid crisis. It is an powerful and intimate portrait, weaving together Goldin’s art and personal archives with interviews and protest footage. An inspiring call to arms. This Venice Golden Lion winner is one of the best documentaries of the year.”
- Woman With a Movie Camera Preview: ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 at BFI Southbank (14 JAN 18:10).
- Blinking Buzzards – The UK Buster Keaton Society includes THE GENERAL d. Clyde Bruckman & Buster Keaton, 1926 at The Cinema Museum (14 JAN 16:00).
- ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 + Q&A with the director & Mary Woodvine at ICA (14 JAN 14:30).
- ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 + Q&A with the director & Mary Woodvine at Picturehouse Hackney (14 JAN 21:00).
- French Impressions: TORI & LOKITA d. Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne, 2022 + Intro/discussion with Jon Davies (14 JAN 13:00).
- Woman with a Movie Camera Summit 2023 at BFI Southbank (14 JAN 11:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- KES 35mm d. Ken Loach, 1969 (14 JAN 13:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 26 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- LE PETIT SOLDAT d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (14 JAN 18:30).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- TAMING THE GARDEN d. Salomé Jashi, 2021 (14 JAN 16:30).
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (14 JAN 20:20).
BEYOND INTERPRETATION at ICA
- TOPOLOGY OF SIRENS d. Jonathan Davies, 2021 UK Premiere + Intro by season curator Chris Cassingham & Q&A with the director (14 JAN 16:30).
- Curated by Chris Cassingham in partnership with the NFTS.
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- CHINATOWN d. Roman Polanski, 1974 (14 JAN 15:00).
- THE SHINING d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 (14 JAN 20:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- APOCALYPSE NOW: FINAL CUT d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1979 (14 JAN 20:30 – 4K).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- BLUE VELVET d. David Lynch, 1986 (14 JAN 20:15).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- HAUNTERS OF THE DEEP + THE LIVING AND THE DEAD EP2 ds. Andrew Bogle, 1984 + Alice Troughton, 2016 (14 JAN 20:40).
- Talks & Events: TWO YEARS AT SEA 35mm + A PORTRAIT OF GA 16mm ds. Ben Rivers, 2011 + Margaret Tait, 1952 + Intro/Q&A with Mark Jenkin & Ben Rivers (14 JAN 18:00).
- Releases: ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 (13 to 31 JAN).
STAFF PICKS at The Garden Cinema
- DRIVE MY CAR d. Ryusuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (14 JAN 17:50).
STEVEN SPIELBERG FROM 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- HOOK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1991 (14 JAN 22:30).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (14 JAN 18:15 – 4K).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
Also 13 to 19 JAN 2023 (various dates / times):
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- MORE THAN EVER aka Plus que jamais d. Emily Atef, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière (from 19 JAN).
- THE OLD WAY d. Brett Donowho, 2023 at: The Prince Charles.
- SKINAMARINK d. Kyle Edward Ball, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- THIS STOLEN COUNTRY d. Marc Wiese, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse (from 14 JAN).
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.