SATURDAY 17 SEPTEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
MELODY d. Waris Hussein, 1971 + Q&A with the director at Riverside Studios (17 SEP 14:00).
“A forgotten, inspiring gem” – Wes Anderson. “Filmed in and around Hammersmith and re-teaming OLIVER!’s Mark Lester and Jack Wild, MELODY is a delightful comedy-drama evoking childhood friendship, condescending adults and the innocence of first-love. When shy schoolboy Daniel falls for Melody, his trouble-making friend Ornshaw resents being neglected, little knowing he’ll play a part as a rebellion unfolds.”
“With classic music by the Bee Gees and a debut screenplay from Alan Parker, MELODY went on to become one of the biggest films of all time in Japan and a cult classic. Following this rare screening, we are delighted to welcome the film’s director Waris Hussein for a Q&A.” (Riverside Studios)
- ATHENA d. Romain Gavras, 2022 + Intro with the director at Rio Cinema (17 SEP 21:00).
- EIFFEL d. Martin Bourboulon, 2021 + Intro/Discussion with Jon Davies, presented by French Impressions at Watermans (17 SEP 13:00).
- Musical Weekends: IT’S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER d. Gene Kelly & Stanley Donen, 1955 at The Garden Cinema (17 SEP 18:15).
- JAWS 3D d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at Olympic Studios (17 SEP 17:30 / 20 SEP 14:20).
- MELODY d. Waris Hussein, 1971 + Q&A with the director at Riverside Studios (17 SEP 14:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- LADY AND THE TRAMP 35mm d. Clyde Geronimi & Wilfred Jackson, 1955 (17 SEP 12:00).
- BLUE VELVET 35mm d. David Lynch, 1986 (17 SEP 20:30).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (16 to 22 SEP).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- GHOST IN THE SHELL d. Mamoru Oshii, 1995 (17 SEP 16:50 – 4K).
BBC CENTENARY LGBTQ+ SCREENINGS at The Cinema Museum
- EVERYMAN: BLASPHEMY AT THE OLD BAILEY (17 SEP 19:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FATEFUL MOMENTS IN TIME! at BFI Southbank
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (17 SEP 12:30).
- THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES aka Diarios de motocicleta d. Walter Salles, 2004 (17 SEP 14:45).
- RATCATCHER 35mm d. Lynne Ramsay, 1999 (17 SEP 18:00).
CAROLEE SCHNEEMANN FILM SERIES at Barbican
- BREAKING THE FRAME d. Marielle Nitoslawska, 2012 + Intro by Helen De Witt (17 SEP 15:40).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
THE FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH at The Prince Charles
- BLUE VELVET 35mm d. David Lynch, 1986 (17 SEP 20:30).
HIDDEN FIGURES: IDRISSA OUÉDRAOGO at Barbican
- YAABA d. Idrissa Ouédraogo, 1989 (17 SEP 18:30).
INDIANA JONES IN 4K at The Prince Charles
- INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE d. Steven Spielberg, 1989 (17 SEP 14:00 – 4K).
MAD MAX ON 35MM at Everyman Screen on the Green
- MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR 35mm d. George Miller, 1981 (17 SEP 23:00).
MIKE LEIGH IN CONVERSATION at The Garden Cinema
- VERA DRAKE d. Mike Leigh, 2004 + Mike Leigh in conversation (17 SEP 14:30).
- ANOTHER YEAR d. Mike Leigh, 2010 + Mike Leigh in conversation (17 SEP 19:00).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- TOP GUN: DOUBLE FEATURE (17 SEP 19:00).
PAM GRIER: FOXY, FIERCE & FEARLESS at BFI Southbank
- Re-release: JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 (16 SEP to 02 OCT).
PRINCE ON SCREEN at The Prince Charles
- GRAFFITI BRIDGE d. Prince, 1990 (17 SEP 15:45).
- THE WORLD OF THE SIBERIANS 35mm d. Tsuchimoto Noriaki, 1968 UK Premiere (17 SEP 16:20).
SOUND AND VISION at BFI IMAX & Southbank
- Directed by Brett Morgen: THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE d. Nanette Burstein & Brett Morgen, 2002 (17 SEP 20:40).
- BFI IMAX: MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (16 to 22 SEP).
- Alyssa Film Festival (16 to 24 SEP).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (01 to 30 SEP).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest (20 to 25 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (22 to 29 SEP).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (08 to 18 SEP).
- Portobello Film Festival (01 to 18 SEP).
- S.O.U.L. Fest x ABFF Global (16 to 18 SEP).
- Ukraine Defiant: Ukrainian Film Festival (22 to 25 SEP).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- NOPE (17 SEP 19:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- SUPERBAD (17 SEP 19:45).
ATHENA dir. Romain Gavras, 2022:
- Exclusively at: Rio Cinema
HALLELUJAH: LEONARD COHEN, A JOURNEY, A SONG dir. Daniel Geller & Dayna Goldfine, 2021:
- Also 15 to 22 SEP (various dates/times): A JAZZMAN’S BLUES d. Tyler Perry, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas // BLOODY ORANGES d. Jean-Christophe Meurisse, 2021 at: ICA // CLERKS III d. Kevin Smith, 2022 at: Catford Mews / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles // I AM A TOWN d. Mischa Richter, 2020 at: ICA // JACKIE BROWN d. Quentin Tarantino, 1997 at: BFI / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // JAWS 3D d. Steven Spielberg, 1975 at: Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // STRAWBERRY MANSION d. Kentucker Audley & Albert Birney, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA // TICKET TO PARADISE d. Ol Parker, 2022 at (from 20 SEP): Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema in the Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.