SATURDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
SUSAN LENOX aka Susan Lenox (Her Fall and Rise) d. Robert Z. Leonard, 1931 presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (19 FEB 19:30):
“Join us as we immerse you in the pre code era and celebrate the Divine Garbo, a woman who’s portrayal of love and sacrifice makes every other human emotion or endeavour seem trivial.”
“We will be showing her rarely screened pre code classic Susan Lenox (Her Fall and Rise), her only film with Clark Gable. It was banned upon its release by the British censors and had to be heavily cut. Garbo plays Susan, a young girl who escapes her tyrant uncle and an arranged marriage to find a new life for herself. Instead she falls in love with a kind stranger but circumstances force her to become a woman of easy virtue.” (Women & Cocaine).
- THE KILLERS d. Robert Siodmak, 1946 at Riverside Studios (19 FEB 14:00).
- THE LEGEND OF LEIGH BOWERY d. Charles Atlas, 2002 + Q&A with Sue Tilley & guests at Stanley Hall (19 FEB 18:00).
- LA MIF aka The Fam d. Fred Baillif, 2021 + Q&A with the director, & actors Anaïs Uldry & Claudia Grob at BFI Southbank (19 FEB 18:00).
- SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN: 70th Anniversary d. Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952 at Genesis Cinema (19 FEB 16:00).
- SUSAN LENOX aka Susan Lenox (Her Fall and Rise) d. Robert Z. Leonard, 1931 presented by Women & Cocaine at The Cinema Museum (19 FEB 19:30).
4K PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE ELEPHANT MAN 4K d. David Lynch, 1980 (19 FEB 12:10); THUNDERBALL 4K d. Terence Young, 1965 (19 FEB 15:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 (19 FEB 12:25).
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THUNDERBALL 4K d. Terence Young, 1965 (19 FEB 15:00).
1982 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN [DIRECTOR’S CUT] d. Nicholas Meyer, 1982 (19 FEB 20:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 (19 FEB 20:45).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE ELEPHANT MAN 4K d. David Lynch, 1980 (19 FEB 12:10); THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH d. Joel Coen, 2021 (19 FEB 15:10).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THEOREM d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1968 (19 FEB 18:15); THE RETURN d. Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2003 (19 FEB 20:15).
THE FILMS OF PATRICK WANG at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE BREAD FACTORY PART ONE: FOR THE SAKE OF GOLD d. Patrick Wang, 2018 (19 FEB 14:45).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): The Literary Truffaut: THE STORY OF ADÈLE H aka L’ Histoire d’Adèle H d. François Truffaut, 1975 (19 FEB 18:20).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT REVISITED at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (19 FEB 13:45).
ON SCREEN WITH MADONNA at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IN BED WITH MADONNA d. Alek Keshishian, 1991 (19 FEB 18:00).
PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON 35MM LATE NIGHTS at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for listings): INHERENT VICE 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2014 (19 FEB 22:30).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FISH TANK d. Andrea Arnold, 2009 (19 FEB 20:40).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): PORCO ROSSO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1992 (from 18 FEB); MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1988 (from 19 FEB).
- BFI Future Film Festival (17 to 20 FEB – Ages 16 to 25 only).
- Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (22 FEB).
THE BEATLES: GET BACK – THE ROOFTOP CONCERT d. Peter Jackson, 2022:
- Various dates, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Kino Bermondsey / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
HERE BEFORE d. Stacey Gregg, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: Curzon Cinemas.
- Also 18 to 24 FEB (various dates/times): KISS ME KOSHER d. Shirel Peleg, 2020 at: JW3 (21 to 28 FEB) // LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 at: Rio Cinema // THE SILENCE OF THE MOLE d. Anais Taracena, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE TALE OF KING CRAB aka Re Granchio d. Alessio Rigo de Righi & Matteo Zoppis, 2021 at: ICA.
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
- Tony Paley presents his “greatest films of all time” at Close-Up Film Centre (from 03 FEB 2023).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.