SATURDAY 19 NOVEMBER 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
OJOBOCA: True Counterfeits + Q&A with the filmmakers, presented by ALT/KINO at ICA (19 NOV 18:30).
“On their website, the filmmaking duo of Anja Dornieden and Juan David González Monroy – who work together under the moniker OJOBOCA – describe themselves as practitioners of ‘Orrorism’. Their description of a “simulated method of inner and outer transformation” can only go so far in conveying the irresistible effect of their wry and often confoundingly labyrinthine creations. Based in Berlin, Dornieden and González Monroy have been making sly and subversive films together for over a decade, ardent in their use of analogue technologies and even more so in their penchant for cryptic investigations that blend factual research with almost mythic fabulation.”
“In this screening titled True Counterfeits, ALT/KINO presents three of their films centring on manufacture and creation. This includes their very first collaboration, the kaleidoscopic Awe Shocks, the London premiere of their 2020 feature examining an attempt to revive the extinct aurochs, Her Name Was Europa, and the UK premiere of their most recent short, the riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma that is Instant Life.” (ALT/KINO)
- A NEW OLD PLAY d. Qiu Jiongjiong, 2021 + Intro by Tony Rayns & Q&A with the director, presented by Plus One Films & Filming East Festival at The Garden Cinema (19 NOV 11:00).
- BELOVED d. Jonathan Demme, 1998 presented by Rhythm & Views at Picturehouse West Norwood (19 NOV 19:00).
- BIRD ATLAS d. Olmo Omerzu, 2021 + Intro/Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (19 NOV 18:00).
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Curzon Bloomsbury (19 NOV 15:00).
- DESCENDANT d. Margaret Brown, 2022 + Q&A with Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson at Picturehouse Central (19 NOV 17:00).
- Exploding Cinema short film programme at The Cinema Museum (19 NOV 19:30).
- FADIA’S TREE d. Sarah Beddington, 2022 + Q&A with producer Susan Simnett, raising funds for AlQuds Charitable Society for the Disabled at ActOne Cinema (19 NOV 16:00).
- GREASE 2 d. Patricia Birch, 1982 at The Prince Charles (19 NOV 21:00).
- HEAT [Director’s Definitive Edition] d. Michael Mann, 1995 at The Prince Charles (19 NOV 11:50 – 4K / 29 NOV 20:15 – 4K).
- OJOBOCA: True Counterfeits + Q&A with the filmmakers, presented by ALT/KINO at ICA (19 NOV 18:30).
- Preview: STRANGE WORLD d. Don Hall, 2022 + Q&A with actors Jake Gyllenhaal & Jaboukie Young-White, writer/co-director Qui Nguyen, producer Roy Conli & director Don Hall at BFI Southbank (19 NOV 11:30).
Check venues for full listings…
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 3D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 24 NOV).
- BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER 2D d. Ryan Coogler, 2022 (until 24 NOV).
’00s 35MM SEASON at Everyman Screen on the Green
- MEAN GIRLS 35mm d. Mark Waters, 2004 (19 NOV 23:00).
THE FILMS OF DAVID LYNCH at The Prince Charles
- LOST HIGHWAY 4K d. David Lynch, 1997 (19 NOV 20:45).
FRAMES OF MIND: THE FILMS OF PETER GREENAWAY at BFI Southbank
- DROWNING BY NUMBERS 4K d. Peter Greenaway, 1988 (19 NOV 14:30 – 4K).
- Re-releases: THE DRAUGHTSMAN’S CONTRACT d. Peter Greenaway, 1982 Remastered (until 24 NOV).
GARY OLDMAN at BFI Southbank
- JFK [Director’s Cut] d. Oliver Stone, 1991 (19 NOV 16:30).
- DARKEST HOUR d. Joe Wright, 2017 (19 NOV 20:30).
HOLLYWOOD ON HOLLYWOOD at The Garden Cinema
- A STAR IS BORN d. George Cukor, 1954 (19 NOV 17:00).
HORROCTOBER – A MONTH OF THRILLS, CHILLS & SPILLS at The Prince Charles
- SHIVA BABY d. Emma Seligman, 2020 (19 NOV 15:45).
IN DREAMS ARE MONSTERS at BFI Southbank
- Vampire: CRONOS d. Guillermo del Toro, 1993 (19 NOV 12:10).
- NOSFERATU aka Nosferatu – Eine Symphonie des Grauens d. FW Murnau, 1922 with recorded score by Hans Erdmann (19 NOV 14:10).
- LET’S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH 35mm d. John Hancock, 1971 (19 NOV 20:45).
- Zombie: US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 (19 NOV 15:10).
THE INFERNAL AFFAIRS TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- INFERNAL AFFAIRS d. Andrew Lau & Alan Mak, 2002 (19 NOV 13:00).
- INFERNAL AFFAIRS II d. Alan Mak & Andrew Lau, 2003 (19 NOV 15:20 – 4K).
(IN)VISIBLE CITIES at Close-Up
- VICTORIA d. Sofie Benoot, Liesbeth De Ceulaer & Isabelle Tollenaere, 2020 (19 NOV 18:00).
- Curated by Massimo Iannetti in partnership with NFTS.
UNGENTLE SCREENING SERIES at Studio Voltaire
- THE THIRD MAN d. Carol Reed, 1949 (19 NOV 14:00).
- Earls Court International Film Festival (11 to 18 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival: Jazz On Screen (12 to 20 NOV).
- French Film Festival (02 NOV to 15 DEC).
- Irish Film Festival London (16 to 20 NOV).
- London Migration Film Festival (24 to 30 NOV).
- London Palestine Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
- London Tibet Film Festival (22 to 23 NOV).
- Made In Prague (07 to 29 NOV).
- Romanian Film Festival London (24 to 28 NOV).
- Sofia Cinema Showcase (13 to 27 NOV).
- Soho Horror Film Festival (17 to 20 NOV online).
- Spectacle for Later – Computational Cinema Festival (18 to 20 NOV).
- UK Film Festival London (23 to 26 NOV / online 23 to 27 NOV).
- UK Jewish Film Festival (10 to 20 NOV / online 21 to 27 NOV).
Also 18 to 24 NOV (various venues/dates/times):
- BARDO, FALSE CHRONICLE OF A HANDFUL OF TRUTHS aka Bardo, falsa crónica de unas cuantas verdades d. Alejandro G. Iñárritu, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- PINK FLAMINGOS d. John Waters, 1972 at: Rio Cinema.
- RISE aka En Corps d. Cédric Klapisch, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière.
- SANSÓN AND ME d. Rodrigo Reyes, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- SR. d. Chris Smith, 2022 at: Curzon Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Previews: BONES AND ALL d. Luca Guadagnino, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinemas.
- Previews: GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.