SATURDAY 30 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
COME AND SEE d. Elem Klimov, 1985 at The Prince Charles (30 APR 14:45 / 04 MAY 12:40).
“This widely acclaimed film from Soviet director Elem Klimov is a stunning, senses-shattering plunge into the dehumanizing horrors of war. As Nazi forces encroach on his small village in present-day Belarus, teenage Flyora (Aleksei Kravchenko, in one of the screen’s most searing depictions of anguish since Renée Falconetti’s Joan of Arc) eagerly joins the Soviet resistance. Rather than the adventure and glory he envisioned, what he finds is a waking nightmare of unimaginable carnage and cruelty—rendered with a feverish, otherworldly intensity by Klimov’s subjective camerawork and expressionistic sound design. Nearly suppressed by Soviet censors who took eight years to approve its script, Come and See is perhaps the most visceral, impossible-to-forget antiwar film ever made.” (The PCC).
- BIG NIGHT d. Campbell Scott & Stanley Tucci, 1996 presented by Young Film Programmers at Barbican (30 APR 14:30).
- CODA d. Sian Heder, 2021 at The David Lean (30 APR 14:00).
- COLORAMA – A Selection of Animated Short Films presented by Shorts On Tap at Rich Mix (30 APR 18:30).
- COME AND SEE d. Elem Klimov, 1985 at The Prince Charles (30 APR 14:45 / 04 MAY 12:40).
- GASLIGHT d. George Cukor, 1944 at The Garden Cinema (30 APR 15:30).
- GREEN IS THE NEW BLACK d. Jake Taylor & Caleb Graham, 2021 at The Prince Charles (30 APR 18:00).
- HESTER STREET d. Joan Micklin Silver, 1975 at Curzon Bloomsbury (30 APR 15:30 / 01 MAY 13:00 / 04 MAY 19:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2022 at Riverside Studios (30 APR 18:00).
- SURREALIST FILM SCREENING AND SYMPOSIUM at Tate Modern (30 APR 15:00).
Check venues for full listings…
007 SEASON at The Prince Charles
- NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN d. Irvin Kershner, 1983 (30 APR 15:00 – 4K).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- WHEN MARNIE WAS THERE aka Omoide No Mani d. Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2014 (30 APR 12:30).
- LIZ AND THE BLUE BIRD aka Rizu to aoi tori d. Naoko Yamada, 2018 (30 APR 17:45).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- HAPPENING aka L’événement d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 (until 05 MAY).
- THE VELVET QUEEN aka La Panthère des neiges d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (until 12 MAY).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- BLACK NARCISSUS d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1947 (30 APR 15:00).
- THE NEW WORLD d. Terrence Malick, 2005 (30 APR 19:50).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1946 (30 APR 12:30).
CELEBRATING SIDNEY POITIER at The Garden Cinema
- IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT d. Norman Jewison, 1967 (30 APR 18:00).
- TO SIR, WITH LOVE d. James Clavell, 1967 (30 APR 20:35).
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA at The Prince Charles
- THE GODFATHER TRILOGY 4K (30 APR 21:00).
GENESIS 23RD BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema
- FREE SOLO d. Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin, 2018 (30 APR 15:40).
- FISH TANK d. Andrea Arnold, 2009 (30 APR 18:05).
- HUNGER 35mm d. Steve McQueen, 2008 (30 APR 20:50).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- THE NEW LAND aka Nybyggarna d. Jan Troell, 1972 + Intermission (30 APR 12:40).
- SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE aka Scener ur ett Äktenskap d. Ingmar Bergman, 1973 (30 APR 17:15).
- SARABAND d. Ingmar Bergman, 2003 (30 APR 20:50).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
PAUL VERHOEVEN 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- STARSHIP TROOPERS 35mm d. Paul Verhoeven, 1997 (30 APR 22:30).
Check venues for full listings…
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- JURASSIC PARK (30 APR 20:30).
- Frames Of Representation (05 to 12 MAY).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 15 MAY 2022).
- Unrestricted View Film Festival (25 APR to 01 MAY).
- Women Of The Lens Film Festival (23 & 30 APR).
- Also 29 APR to 05 MAY (various dates/times): ARCHIPELAGO aka Archipel dir. Félix Dufour-Laperrière, 2021 at: ICA // THE CASE dir. Nina Guseva, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE SWIMMER dir. Adam Kalderon, 2021 at: JW3 (from 05 MAY) // YOUR MUM AND DAD: A DEVASTATING TRUTH dir. Klaartje Quirijns, 2019 at: JW3 (from 01 MAY).
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.