SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 03.03.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
LOST LOST LOST 16mm d. Jonas Mekas, 1976 A Tribute to Jonas Mekas at Close-Up (03 MAR 14:00 – the evening event is SOLD OUT!):
- Poet and hero of the American counter-culture, Jonas Mekas invented the diary form of filmmaking. LOST LOST LOST comprises fourteen years of filming, starting from his arrival in America as a political refugee. It documents the New York counterculture of the ’50s and the development of Mekas’ own filming style.
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- DO YOU EXHIBIT? Find out how we can help promote your indie screen event in Greater London.
- NOW BOOKING: Plan ahead with our epic roundup of rep seasons & film festivals projecting across London this month.
- NEWS: Phoenix Cinema Trust has launched a #PhoenixRising fundraiser – help save this much-loved venue.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
A PRIVATE WAR d. Matthew Heineman , 2018 + Q&A with journalist Uzi Mahnaimi at JW3 (03 MAR 19:00):
- The extraordinary story of one of the most celebrated war correspondents of all time: Marie Colvin. Israeli journalist Uzi Mahnaimi was a close colleague and friend of Marie Colvin and advised the film director Matthew Heineman and the actress Rosamund Pike on the film.
METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 + LIVE SCORE by David Gray on the 1936 Compton Cinema Organ at Regent Street Cinema (03 MAR 15:30):
- In a futuristic city sharply divided between the working class and the city planners, the son of the city’s mastermind falls in love with a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a saviour to mediate their differences.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALIENS d. James Cameron, 1986 at BFI (03 MAR 20:15 – Joint ticket available with ALIEN today & 09 MAR only).
- BURNING d. Chang-dong Lee, 2018 at The Lexi (03 MAR 19:00).
- CHOCOLAT d. Lasse Hallström, 2000 presented by Pitshanger Pictures for Lent at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (03 MAR 12:00 – Free! Everyone welcome).
- CITY LIGHTS d. Charles Chaplin, 1931 at The Prince Charles (03 MAR 12:30).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST d. Sergio Leone, 1968 at Picturehouse Central (03 MAR 13:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE RESISTANCE d. Claus Räfle, 2017 at JW3 (03 MAR 16:00).
- RINGU d. Hideo Nakata, 1998 presented by Arrow Video at The Prince Charles (03 MAR 21:00).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at Barbican (03 MAR 18:00).
- SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (03 MAR 19:30).
- SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at Barbican (03 MAR 15:50).
- SWEET COUNTRY d. Warwick Thornton, 2017 at Whirled Cinema (03 MAR 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (03 MAR 17:25).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (03 MAR 18:30).
- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE d. Rodney Rothman, Bob Persichetti & Peter Ramsey, 2018 (03 MAR 13:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: AND THE ACADEMY AWARD DIDN’T GO TO… at BFI Southbank (FEB):
- CITY LIGHTS d. Charles Chaplin, 1931 (03 MAR 18:15).
EUROPEAN CLASSICS at Ciné Lumière (03 to 31 MAR):
- THE CONFORMIST d. Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970 (03 MAR 14:00).
HAYAO MIYAZAKI AND THE LEGENDARY STUDIO GHIBLI at Genesis Cinema (01 to 24 MAR):
- GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES d. Isao Takahata, 1988 (03 MAR 20:15).
JOHN CARPENTER: A RESTORATION RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 MAR to 02 APR):
- DARK STAR d. John Carpenter, 1974 (03 MAR 18:00).
STARRING BARBARA STANWYCK at BFI Southbank (MAR):
- UNION PACIFIC 35mm d. CecilB DeMille, 1939 (03 MAR 18:00).
- REMEMBER THE NIGHT d. Mitchell Leisen, 1940 (03 MAR 20:45).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 21 APR):
- PRINCESS MONONOKE d. Hayao Miyazaki, 1997 (03 MAR 14:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Cinema Made In Italy (26 FEB to 03 MAR).
ABOUT A WAR d. Abi Weaver & Daniele Rugo at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 MAR 19:10):
- Moving through the testimonies of Assaad, a right wing Christian intelligence officer; Ahed, a Palestinian refugee fighter and Nassim, a Communist commander, ABOUT A WAR unpicks the personal motivations, trauma and regret of militiamen who picked up arms during the Lebanese Civil War.
BURNING MEN d. Jeremy Wooding, 2019 at Peckhamplex (03 MAR 20:30):
- Young, struggling musicians Ray and Don are evicted from their South London squat. They take to the road in their old Volvo Amazon, planning to sell their prized vinyl record collection and fly to Memphis USA. However, when they fail to get the money needed, they steal a rare Black Metal record which seems to unleash dark forces that threaten their mission.
SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (03 MAR 14:00 & 18:35):
- Leo (Félix Maritaud) is a 22-year-old sex worker who yearns for affection. In poor health and with no fixed address, he finds fleeting solace in the arms of the men he meets through his work. The crushing solitude of Leo’s life is tempered when he falls for fellow hustler Ahd.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AFTERMATH d. James Kent, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (01 to 07 MAR). ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 New Restoration at The Prince Charles (01 to 10 MAR). BURNING d. Lee Chang-dong, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 07 MAR). CAPERNAUM d. Nadine Labaki, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (until 07 MAR). THE FAVOURITE d. Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 07 MAR). FIGHTING WITH MY FAMILY d. Stephen Merchant, 2019 at Rich Mix (01 to 07 MAR). FOXTROT d. Samuel Maoz, 2017 at JW3 (01 to 07 MAR). GREEN BOOK d. Peter Farrelly, 2018 at Watermans (01 to 07 MAR). THE HOLE IN THE GROUND d. Lee Cronin, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (01 to 07 MAR). OF LOVE & LAW d. Hikaru Toda, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 06 MAR). ON THE BASIS OF SEX d. Mimi Leder, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 07 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 + various dates Q&A with the directors at Arthouse Crouch End (02 to 07 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 07 MAR). TEDDY PENDERGRASS: IF YOU DON’T KNOW ME d. Olivia Lichtenstein, 2018 at DocHouse (02 to 07 MAR). WALL d. Cam Christiansen, 2017 at DocHouse (01 to 07 MAR).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.