SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 03.10.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
TAXIDERMIA d. Gyorgi Palfi, 2006 + Intro/Salon Discussion with Nick Walker at Genesis Cinema (03 OCT 18:40):
- “Our monthly Cult Classic Collective event with Nick Walker of Rochester Kino returns with TAXIDERMIA by Gyorgi Palfi. The screening will be introduced by Nick and will be followed by a salon discussion upstairs at the bar where you will have a chance to discuss this great film with fellow fans and first-time viewers!”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre in the City Of London (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019). Bring your own lunch, relax & refocus as you feast on a world of inspiring short film drama, documentary & animation.
> Now booking: sbf.org.uk/whats-on
Online at radiantcircus.com: Our epic OCTOBER roundup helps you navigate all the rep seasons & film festivals projecting across London this month. // Two venues are under threat – read appeals from Screen25 in South Norwood and The Horse Hospital & lend support where you can.
#32BoroughsOfFilm: We started our yearlong tour of community cinema with visits to Richmond Film Society to see Hirokazu Kore-eda’s SHOPLIFTERS (24 SEP 2019) & Leytonstone Loves Film for the Smartphone Film Festival (28 SEP 2019). (Many) more to come!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
HERO d. Frances-Anne Solomon, 2019 + Q&A with the director & actor Nickolai Salcedo & guests at Peckhamplex (03 OCT 20:30):
- “As part of a UK wide celebration of Black History Month and beyond, HERO is screening with a special Q&A moderated by Paulette Harris German and hosted by Pempeople with writer/director/producer Frances-Anne Solomon and lead actor Nickolai Salcedo plus special guests to be announced.”
South Social Celebrates China: DEAD PIGS d. Cathy Yan, 2018 + Dance Performance by Lucia Tong + Food/Panel at The Cinema Museum (03 OCT 18:00):
- “South Social Film Festival is a hub for diversity, inclusion and emerging talents. This time we are partnering with the Chinese Visual Festival to celebrate a very complex country, China. It has fast forwarded into the new century with amazing speed and has marked cinema and art with a strong visual and original impact.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMAZING GRACE d. Alan Elliott & Sydney Pollack, 2018 presented by Whilred Docs at Whirled Cinema (03 OCT 20:00).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at JW3 (03 OCT 15:20).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 presented by Das Kino at The Old Baths (03 OCT 21:00).
- INNA DE YARD d. Peter Webber, 2019 at The Lexi (03 OCT 18:40).
- JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 OCT 18:10).
- MIDNIGHT COWBOY d. John Schlesinger, 1969 at Genesis Cinema (03 OCT 21:00).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN… HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 at The Prince Charles (03 OCT 12:45).
- PIXOTE – THE LAW OF THE WEAKEST d. Hector Babenco, 1980 presented by CineClub Brazil at Embassy Of Brazil (03 OCT 18:00 – FREE!).
- ZANZIBAR SOCCER QUEENS d. Florence Ayisi, 2007 + Short at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (03 OCT 19:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at Close-Up (01 OCT to 01 DEC):
- THE MERCHANT OF FOUR SEASONS d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1972 (03 OCT 20:15).
HITCHCOCKTOBER at The Birds E11 (03 OCT to 01 NOV – FREE!/Paid reservations & packages available!):
- STRANGERS ON A TRAIN d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1951 (03 OCT 20:00 – FREE!).
INGMAR BERGMAN at Deptford Cinema (ongoing):
- WILD STRAWBERRIES d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (03 OCT 19:30).
MARIANO LLINÁS PRESENTS LA FLOR at ICA (13 to 02 OCT):
- LA FLOR: PART III d. Mariano Llinás, 2018 (03 OCT 12:30).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 (03 OCT 12:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI London Film Festival (02 to 13 OCT).
AMERICAN PSYCHO 35mm d. Mary Harron, 2000 at The Prince Charles (03 OCT 13:00):
- In New York City in 1987, a handsome, young urban professional, Patrick Bateman (Christian Bale), lives a second life as a gruesome serial killer by night. The cast is filled by the detective (Willem Dafoe), the fiance (Reese Witherspoon), the mistress (Samantha Mathis), the coworker (Jared Leto), and the secretary (Chloë Sevigny). This is a biting, wry comedy examining the elements that make a man a monster.
THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Peckhamplex (03 OCT 17:50 & 20:30):
- “Femi is a British boy of Nigerian heritage who, after a happy childhood in rural Lincolnshire, moves to inner London to live with his mum. Struggling with the unfamiliar culture and values of his new environment, teenage Femi has to figure out which path to adulthood he wants to take.”
NORMAL d. Adele Tulli, 2019 at ICA (03 OCT 20:45):
- “Through a series of wry and acerbic vignettes, Italian filmmaker Adele Tulli’s Normal playfully exposes the spectacle of gender in our everyday lives. Featuring quotidian scenes shot throughout Italy, the film observes individuals – from childhood to adulthood – navigating normative gendered behaviour.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
AD ASTRA d. James Gray, 2019 at The Lexi (until 03 OCT). BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at ICA (until 03 OCT). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (30 SEP to 06 OCT). CIELO d. Alison McAlpine, 2018 at ICA (27 SEP to 02 OCT). CURTIZ d. as Yvan Topolanszky, 2018 at JW3 (02 to 10 OCT). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Barbican (until 03 OCT). FOR SAMA d. Waad Al-Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 03 OCT). THE GOLDFINCH d. John Crowley, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (27 SEP to 03 OCT). HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska, Ljubomir Stefanov, 2019 at DocHouse (until 03 OCT). HOTEL MUMBAI d. Anthony Maras, 2019 at Rio Cinema (27 SEP to 03 OCT). HUSTLERS d. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 03 SEP). THE LAUNDROMAT at ArtHouse Crouch End d. Steven Soderbergh, 2019 (27 SEP to 03 OCT). ONCE UPON A TIME IN… HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 03 OCT – Check schedule for formats). ONE CHILD NATION d. Zhang Lynn & Nanfu Wang, 2019 at Barbican (27 SEP to 01 OCT). ON THE PRESIDENT’S ORDERS d. James Jones & Olivier Sarbil, 2019 at DocHouse (27 SEP to 03 OCT). PAIN AND GLORY d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 02 OCT). SEA OF SHADOWS at Ciné Lumière (27 SEP to 03 OCT). SKIN d. Guy Nattiv, 2018 at Genesis Cinema (27 SEP to 03 OCT). THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 03 OCT).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.