SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 08.10.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
NO ESTAMOS SOLOS d. Daniel Rodriguez Risco, 2016 at The Cinema Museum (08 OCT 18:00 – FREE!):
- The General Consulate of Peru in London presents: “A free screening of NO ESTAMOS SOLOS (2016), the second of a cycle of three Peruvian horror films, directed by Daniel Rodriguez Risco. A family, Mateo, Monica and eight year old Sofia, move into a house on the outskirts of Lima. From the first night, the girl is haunted by a terrifying being.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY is a brand new popup cinema screening daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers at the Bridewell Theatre in the City Of London (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019).
> See our new trailer: HERE!
> Book here: sbf.org.uk/whats-on
Online at radiantcircus.com: Our final writeup from Raindance 2019 reports from the UK Premiere of Best Director award winner Steve Krikris’ THE WAITER. // Ranjit S. Ruprai aka SUPAKINO has announced a new season of MIDNIGHT EXCESS at Rio Cinema. // Our epic OCTOBER roundup helps you navigate all the rep seasons & film festivals projecting across London this month. // Two venues are under threat – read appeals from Screen25 in South Norwood and The Horse Hospital & lend support where you can.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Beatie Wolfe: Orange Juice for the Ears at Barbican (08 OCT 19:30):
- “‘Musical weirdo and visionary’ (Vice) Beatie Wolfe presents an experiential evening of film, live performance and conversation. Following the premiere of a documentary about her work (directed by Ross Harris), Wolfe will perform live and take part in a Q&A with Evening Standard Digital Editor in Chief David Tomchak.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AMA-SAN d. Claudia Varejão, 2016 at DocHouse (08 OCT 18:30).
- BIRDS OF PASSAGE d. Cristina Gallego & Ciro Guerra, 2018 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (08 OCT 20:00).
- FORREST GUMP: 25th Anniversary Screening d. Robert Zemeckis, 1994 at TT Liquor (08 OCT 18:30).
- FOR SAMA d. Waad al-Kateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at DocHouse (08 OCT 16:30).
- HER d. Spike Jonze, 2013 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Peckham Levels (08 OCT 19:30).
- HONEYLAND d. Tamara Kotevska & Ljubomir Stefanov at DocHouse (08 OCT 20:45).
- THE PUBLIC ENEMY d. William A. Wellman, 1931 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (08 OCT 20:00).
- THE THIRD MAN 4K d. Carol Reed, 1949 at Ciné Lumière (08 OCT 18:30)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER at Close-Up (01 OCT to 01 DEC):
- FOX AND HIS FRIENDS d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1975 (08 OCT 20:15).
CYBERFEMINISM ON FILM: GENDER, SEXUALITY, TECHNOLOGY at Barbican (05 to 08 OCT):
- CONCEIVING ADA d. Lynn Hershman, 1997 (08 OCT 18:30).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 (08 OCT 15:10).
THRILLERS & KILLERS & MONSTERS, OH MY! at The Prince Charles (27 SEP to 01 NOV):
- CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST d. Ruggero Deodato, 1980 (08 OCT 12:45).
- IT FOLLOWS d. David Robert Mitchell, 2014 (08 OCT 21:00).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI London Film Festival (02 to 13 OCT).
- Black Cultural Archives Film Festival (04 to 14 OCT).
HITSVILLE: THE MAKING OF MOTOWN d. Gabe Turner & Benjamin Turner, 2019 + Pre-recorded Intro at DocHouse (08 OCT 14:00):
- “With a soundtrack that will have you dancing in your seat, if not in the street, HITSVILLE: THE MAKING OF MOTOWN celebrates the astronomical success and enduring cultural impact of Motown Records. Founder of Motown Berry Gordy and his long-standing friend and co-creator Smokey Robinson recall the beginnings of the company that had a radically progressive approach and was way ahead of its time.”
JOKER d. Todd Phillips, 2019 at The Lexi (08 OCT 18:20 & 20:50):
- “This origin story for Batman’s arch nemesis suggests that Arthur Fleck – indelibly portrayed here by Joaquin Phoenix – is a man struggling to find his way in Gotham’s fractured society. A clown-for-hire by day, he aspires to be a stand-up comic at night, but finds the joke always seems to be on him.”
JUDY d. Rupert Goold, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (08 OCT 13:00 & 16:00):
- “Winter 1968 and showbiz legend Judy Garland (Renée Zellweger) arrives in Swinging London to perform in a sell-out run at The Talk of the Town. It is 30 years since she shot to global stardom in THE WIZARD OF OZ, but if her voice has weakened, its dramatic intensity has only grown.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- AMERICAN PSYCHO 35mm d. Mary Harron, 2000 at The Prince Charles (until 09 OCT). BAIT d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 10 OCT). CURTIZ d. as Yvan Topolanszky, 2018 at JW3 (until 10 OCT). THE FAREWELL d. Lulu Wang, 2019 at Barbican (until 10 OCT). FOR SAMA d. Waad Al-Khateab & Edward Watts, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 10 OCT). GOOD POSTURE d. Dolly Wells, 2019 at Rio Cinema (04 to 10 OCT). HUSTLERS d. Lorene Scafaria, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 10 OCT). THE LAST TREE d. Shola Amoo, 2019 at Peckhamplex (until 10 OCT). NORMAL d. Adele Tulli, 2019 at ICA (until 08 OCT). ONE CHILD NATION d. Nanfu Wang & Jialing Zhang, 2019 at DocHouse (04 to 09 OCT). PHOENIX d. Camilla Strøm Henriksen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (07 to 13 OCT). ROJO d. Benjamín Naishtat, 2019 at Watermans (04 to 10 OCT). THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 03 OCT).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.