SUNDAY 03 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
I LIVE IN FEAR 35mm aka Ikimono no kiroku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1955 (03 APR 18:00) / Part of AKIRA KUROSAWA at The Prince Charles:
“An expressive, caustic, portrait of madness. Toshiro Mifune plays an aging industrialist driven to madness over fears of a nuclear attack. The most frightening aspect of Kurosawa’s film is not the threat of nuclear annihilation, but the proliferation of man’s inhumanity and greed, expressed by the family’s zeal to commit their father and keep their inheritances intact.” (The PCC)
- A NIGHT OF KNOWING NOTHING d. Payal Kapadia, 2021 + Q&A with the director at BFI Southbank (03 APR 17:50).
- THE GODFATHER CODA: THE DEATH OF MICHAEL CORLEONE d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1991 at Riverside Studios (03 APR 14:30).
- THE HERMIT OF TREIG d. Lizzie MacKenzie, 2021 + Q&A with the director & executive producer Lisa-Marie Russo at Bertha DocHouse (03 APR 15:30).
- LAWRENCE OF ARABIA: 60th Anniversary d. David Lean, 1962 at Olympic Studios (03 APR 14:10).
- NIGHTMARE ALLEY d. Edmund Goulding, 1947 at Riverside Studios (03 APR 12:20 / 06 APR 12:20).
- NOSFERATU: 100th Anniversary d. F. W. Murnau, 1922 at Curzon Cinemas (03 APR various).
- NOSFERATU: 100th Anniversary d. F. W. Murnau, 1922 at Picturehouse Cinemas (03 APR various).
- OASIS KNEBWORTH 1996 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (03 APR 19:30).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2021 at Electric Cinemas (03 APR 14:30).
- PIANO TO ZANSKAR d. Michal Sulima, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (03 APR 15:00 / 05 APR 15:30).
- RESPECT d. Liesl Tommy, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (03 APR 17:00).
- RŪRANGI d. Max Currie, 2020 presented by Queer Film Club at London LGBTQ+ Community Centre SE1 (03 APR 16:00 – Donation requested!).
- THARK d. Tom Walls, 1932 + Geoff Brown & Mark Newell in conversation at The Cinema Museum (03 APR 14:30).
- Women In The Mafia: SHOOTING THE MAFIA d. Kim Longinotto, 2019 presented by CinemaItaliaUK at The Garden Cinema (03 APR 15:00) / A CHIARA d. Jonas Carpignano, 2021 presented by CinemaItaliaUK at The Garden Cinema (03 APR 18:00).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CASABLANCA 35mm d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (03 APR 12:15); WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES 35mm d. Béla Tarr & Ágnes Hranitzky, 2000 (03 APR 14:45); I LIVE IN FEAR 35mm aka Ikimono no kiroku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1955 (03 APR 18:00).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (03 APR 20:45).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): I LIVE IN FEAR 35mm aka Ikimono no kiroku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1955 (03 APR 18:00).
ALEX WINTER: LIVE ON STAGE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Alex Winter: Meet & Greet (03 APR 10:00); BILL & TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE d. Stephen Herek, 1989 + Intro by Alex Winter (03 APR 12:30); Alex Winter: In Conversation (03 APR 15:10); THE LOST BOYS 35mm d. Joel Schumacher, 1987 + Intro & Q&A with Alex Winter (03 APR 17:30); ZAPPA d. Alex Winter, 2020 + Intro/Q&A with the director (03 APR 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE SEVENTH SEAL aka Det Sjunde Inseglet d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (03 APR 15:20).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CASABLANCA 35mm d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (03 APR 12:15); WERCKMEISTER HARMONIES 35mm d. Béla Tarr & Ágnes Hranitzky, 2000 (03 APR 14:45).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): GUYS & DOLLS d. Frank Loesser, 1955 (03 APR 17:30); THE GODFATHER d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 (02 APR 17:15); LISTEN TO ME MARLON d. Stevan Riley, 2015 (03 APR 21:00).
CLOSE-UP ON JOHN CASSAVETES at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SHADOWS d. John Cassavetes, 1959 (03 APR 18:15); A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE d. John Cassavetes, 1974 (03 APR 20:00).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- Includes (check venue for full listings): REPRISE d. Joachim Trier, 2006 (03 APR 14:00); THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 07 APR).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 + Intro by Christina Newland (03 APR 15:10). Re-release: CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 (01 to 14 APR).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Missing Believed Wiped: Out of the Unknown: The Chopper table reading (03 APR 18:00).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND d. Brian Henson, 1991 (03 APR 13:30); REMORQUES d. Jean Grémillon, 1941 (03 APR 14:00).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (01 to 10 APR).
- The People’s Film Festival (02 to 09 APR).
- South Social Film Festival – Nordic Focus (02 APR).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 03 APR).
- Also 01 to 07 APR (various dates/times): LA FAMILLE BELIER dir. Eric Lartigau, 2014 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE NOVICE dir. Laura Hadaway, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // ONE OF THESE DAYS dir. Bastian Günther, 2020 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas // REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES dir. Kiwi Chow, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRUE THINGS dir. Harry Wootliff, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // XUETA ISLAND dir. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.