SUNDAY 03 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
PRESENTING LILY MARS d. Norman Taurog, 1943 at The Musical Museum, TW8 (03 OCT 14:30).
- “After THE WIZARD OF OZ, Garland starred in an array of musical films. Here, she plays small-town Indiana girl Lily Mars who dreams of being a stage actress. She begs visiting Broadway producer John Thornway for a role but he dismisses her as an amateur. She follows him to New York and worms her way into his show, and his heart.”
- 2046 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at BFI (03 OCT 14:50).
- BLADE RUNNER 2049 4k d. Denis Villeneuve, 2017 at BFI (03 OCT 17:30).
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 at Ciné Lumière (03 OCT 19:30).
- BREWSTER’S MILLIONS d. Walter Hill, 1985 at BFI (03 OCT 15:15).
- BUSTIN’ LOOSE d. Oz Scott, 1981 at BFI (03 OCT 18:10).
- CASQUE D’OR aka Golden Helmet d. Jacques Becker, 1952 at Ciné Lumière (03 OCT 15:15).
- DETECTIVE STORY d. William Wyler, 1951 at BFI (03 OCT 12:10).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 at The Prince Charles (01 to 05 OCT various).
- DUNE d. David Lynch, 1984 at ICA (03 OCT 13:45).
- GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978 at Riverside Studios (03 OCT 14:00).
- HANGAR, METRO, TERMINAL + EXTINCTION d. Salomé Lamas, 2018 at ICA (03 OCT 14:40).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI (03 OCT 12:20).
- INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS d. Don Siegel, 1956 at The Prince Charles (03 OCT 12:10).
- KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE d. Stephen Chiodo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (03 OCT 20:45).
- KNIFE IN THE WATER d. Roman Polanski, 1962 at Close-Up (03 OCT 20:15).
- THE LIGHT OF DAY d. Anne Bean & Alex Eisenberg, 2020 + Discussion with Anne Bean & Alex Eisenberg at LUX (03 OCT 15:00+ / FREE!).
- MEAN GIRLS d. Mark Waters, 2004 at Catford Mews (03 OCT 18:15).
- MEAN GIRLS d. Mark Waters, 2003 at The Prince Charles (03 OCT 18:15).
- NADJA 35mm d. Michael Almereyda, 1994 at ICA (03 OCT 19:05).
- NOSTALGHIA d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1983 at ICA (03 OCT 16:50).
- PRESENTING LILY MARS d. Norman Taurog, 1943 at The Musical Museum TW8 (03 OCT 14:30).
- THE SEVENTH SEAL d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 at Close-Up (03 OCT 18:15).
- THE SHINING [UK Version] 35mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 at The Prince Charles (03 OCT 20:30).
- THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS 4k aka La Permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1968 at BFI Southbank (03 OCT 18:30).
- TALKING ABOUT TREES d. Suhaib Gasmelbari, 2019 at BFI (03 OCT 18:00).
- WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND 60th Anniversary d. Bryan Forbes, 1961 + Hayley Mills in conversation at BFI Southbank (03 OCT 12:00).
- THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 at The Luna Cinema at Wandsworth Park (03 OCT 19:30).
- BFI London Film Festival (06 to 17 OCT).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- EFN Short Film Festival (27 SEP to 01 OCT).
- Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest programme launch (05 OCT)
- Women Over 50 Film Festival (25 SEP to 02 OCT).
BELLY OF THE BEAST d. Erika Cohn, 2020.
- Various venues inc: Bertha DocHouse
EMA d. Pablo Larraín, 2019.
- Various venues inc: ICA
OLIVER SACKS: HIS OWN LIFE d. Ric Burns, 2019.
- Various venues inc: Ciné Lumière
- Also (01 to 07 OCT various dates/times): FAUCI d. John Hoffman & Janet Tobias, 2021 at: JW3 // FRIDA – VIVA LA VIDA d. Giovanni Troilo, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // MY NAME IS PAULI MURRAY d. Julie Coleman, 2021 at: Watermans // SONG WITHOUT A NAME aka Canción sin nombre d. Melina León, 2019 at: ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.