SUNDAY 05 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE DUELLISTS d. Ridley Scott, 1977 at Olympic Studios (05 SEP 14:10).
- “Armand d’Hubert (Keith Carradine) and Gabriel Féraud (Harvey Keitel) are French soldiers under Napoleon. A trivial quarrel between d’Hubert and Féraud escalates into a lifelong grudge, and, as war rages on, the officers repeatedly challenge one another to violent sword and pistol duels. After 15 years, both men have distinguished themselves through their service and become generals, however, their mutual hatred never ceases, even when the initial cause of their rivalry is forgotten.”
- “The richness of Scott’s visuals, the excellence of the performances and the depth of the themes combine to make a minor masterpiece.” ★★★★ David Hughes, Empire Magazine
- BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (05 SEP 19:40).
- CRY OF THE CITY d. Robert Siodmak, 1948 at BFI (05 SEP 18:10).
- THE DUELLISTS d. Ridley Scott, 1977 at Olympic Studios (05 SEP 14:10).
- GOOD MORNING aka Ohayo d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1959 at The Prince Charles (05 SEP 12:00).
- HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2021 + Q&A #ReclaimTheFrame presented by Birds’ Eye View at Picturehouse Clapham (05 SEP 16:00 / All proceeds to Refuge).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at Picturehouse Cinemas (from 05 SEP).
- JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at Curzon Mayfair (05 SEP 15:00).
- KABUL, CITY IN THE WIND d. Aboozar Amini, 2018 at ICA (05 SEP 16:50).
- L’ATALANTE d. Jean Vigo, 1934 at Close-Up (05 SEP 20:15).
- LAWRENCE OF BELGRAVIA d. Paul Kelly, 2011 + Q&A with the director & Lawrence at BFI (05 SEP 15:30).
- OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at The Prince Charles (05 SEP 21:00).
- PARIS, TEXAS 35mm d. Wim Wenders, 1984 at The Prince Charles (05 SEP 20:05).
- THE SACRIFICE d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1986 at The Prince Charles (05 SEP 14:20).
- Saint Etienne: Shorts Programme + Intro by Paul Kelly & Pete Wiggs at BFI (05 SEP 13:00).
- THE STORY OF A THREE-DAY PASS aka La permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1967 at Ciné Lumière (05 SEP 14:00).
- THE STORY OF A THREE-DAY PASS aka La permission d. Melvin Van Peebles, 1967 at ICA (05 SEP 14:35).
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 at The Prince Charles (05 SEP 17:35).
- WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TODAY MERVYN DAY? d. Paul Kelly, 2005 + Q&A with the director & Pete Wiggs at BFI (05 SEP 18:30).
- LOVE JONES d. Theodore Witcher, 1997 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (05 SEP 20:00).
- THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION d. Frank Darabont, 1994 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (05 SEP 20:00).
- THE SHINING d. Stanley Kubrick, 1980 at The Luna Cinema at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre (05 SEP 20:00).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP).
- Sci-Fi-London 48hr Film Challenge (04 to 06 SEP).
ANNETTE d. Leos Carax, 2021.
- Also (03 to 09 SEP various dates/times): THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at: JW3 / Picturehouse Cinemas // DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at: The Prince Charles // EPICENTRO d. Hubert Sauper, 2020 at: Bertha DocHouse // JANINE JANSEN: FALLING FOR STRADIVARI d. Gerald Fox, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // JAZZ ON A SUMMER’S DAY d. Aram Avakian & Bert Stern, 1959 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas // WILDFIRE d. Cathy Brady, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Rio Cinema.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.