SUNDAY 08 JANUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH 16mm d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1946 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (08 JAN 15:30 / 12 JAN 19:30).
“A British wartime aviator who cheats death must argue for his life before a celestial court, hoping to prolong his fledgling romance with an American girl.”
Ciné-Real is one of the only film clubs in the UK to exclusively play films from original 16mm prints. They are a non-profit organisation which aims to unite film makers and enthusiasts in their appreciation of classic film.
- ALPHAVILLE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 at Rio Cinema (08 JAN 13:30).
- A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH 16mm d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1946 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (08 JAN 15:30 / 12 JAN 19:30).
- THE DRIVER 4K d. Walter Hill, 1978 at ICA (08 JAN 12:10 / 11 JAN 14:00).
- REBEL DYKES + SPACE DYKES & OTHER ADVENTURES ds. Harri Shanahan & Siân A. Williams, 2021 + Julian Konuk, 2022 at Avalon Cafe (08 JAN 17:00).
- KING RICHARD d. Reinaldo Marcus Green, 2021 presented by Bounce Cinema at The Hoxton (08 JAN 19:00).
- THE SEEDS OF VANDANA SHIVA d. Camilla Denton Becket & James Becket, 2022 + Q&A with Vandana Shiva at Picturehouse Finsbury Park (08 JAN 15:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 (until 22 JAN).
- SPY KIDS 35mm d. Robert Rodriguez, 2001 (08 JAN 13:00).
- DEMOLITION MAN 35mm d. Marco Brambilla, 1993 (08 JAN 17:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR 2: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (until 19 JAN).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (06 to 31 JAN).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- DUCK SOUP d. Leo McCarey, 1933 (08 JAN 18:25).
- VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 (08 JAN 20:25 – 4K).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- ALPHAVILLE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1965 (08 JAN 18:25).
BEST OF 2022 at Bertha DocHouse
- TAMING THE GARDEN d. Salomé Jashi, 2021 (08 JAN 14:00).
- THE VELVET QUEEN: SNOW LEOPARD d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (08 JAN 18:00).
- MOONAGE DAYDREAM d. Brett Morgen, 2022 (08 JAN 20:00).
CELEBRATING JACK NICHOLSON at The Garden Cinema
- ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST d. Milos Forman, 1975 (08 JAN 19:00).
CELLULOID SUNDAY at ICA
- THE BLUE KITE 35mm d. Tian Zhuangzhuang, 1993 (08 JAN 18:15).
DRUMROLL FOR FORTUITOUS HEROES at Ciné Lumière
- THE CHORUS aka Les Choristes d. Christophe Barratier, 2021 (08 JAN 12:35).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD at The Prince Charles
- SPY KIDS 35mm d. Robert Rodriguez, 2001 (08 JAN 13:00).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 (08 JAN 11:45).
MARK JENKIN’S THE CINEMATIC DNA OF ENYS MEN at BFI Southbank
- HAUNTERS OF THE DEEP + THE LIVING AND THE DEAD EP2 ds. Andrew Bogle, 1984 + Alice Troughton, 2016 (08 JAN 13:20).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 78= CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING 35mm aka Céline et Julie vont en bateau: Phantom Ladies Over Paris d. Jacques Rivette, 1974 (08 JAN 14:45).
- 72= JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia d. Roberto Rossellini, 1954 (08 JAN 18:20).
STAFF PICKS at The Garden Cinema
- SECRETS & LIES d. Mike Leigh, 1996 (08 JAN 14:15).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- FORREST GUMP d. Robert Zemeckis, 1994 (08 JAN various).
TRINTIGNANT: THE NON-CONFORMIST at Ciné Lumière
- ET DIEU CRÉA LA FEMME aka And God Created Woman d. Roger Vadim, 1956 (08 JAN 14:00).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- DRAGON INN d. King Hu, 1967 (08 JAN 15:10).
YASUJIRŌ OZU: NORIKO TRILOGY at Close-Up Film Centre
- TOKYO STORY d. Yasujiro Ozu, 1953 (08 JAN 20:15).
- COMING SOON: London Short Film Festival (20 to 29 JAN).
EMPIRE OF LIGHT dir Sam Mendes, 2023
- Various venues, inc (from 09 JAN): ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Power Station / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
- From 35mm (various dates): BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
Also 06 to 12 JAN (various dates / times / venues):
- CROWS ARE WHITE d. Ahsen Nadeem, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 35mm d. Rian Johnson, 2022 at: The Prince Charles.
- HONG KONG FAMILY d. TSANG Hing Weng, 2022 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.