SUNDAY 08 MAY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA / ARCADIA ds. Dziga Vertov + Paul Wright, 1929/2017 + Live score by The Cabinet of Living Cinema at Catford Mews (08 MAY 18:30).
“The Cabinet of Living Cinema’s exceptional and powerful new score to MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA was first commissioned for LSO St. Luke’s in 2019 to celebrate 90 years of Dziga Vertov’s astonishing cinematic masterpiece which documents city life through a dazzling mix of imagery and experimental filmmaking techniques. From dawn to dusk, Vertov takes the viewer on a tour of Moscow, Odessa and Kiev, showing the frenetic highs and lows, toil and play of city life through the eyes of the camera and using every conceivable cinematic innovation.
“The Cabinet present their score to MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA score with a 30-minute excerpt of Paul Wright’s ARCADIA (2017), another incredible feat of documentary filmmaking which delves into the BFI’s rich archive of Britain life – its arcane rituals, its celebrations and festivals and its tensions and upheaval over a century of film.” (Catford Mews)
- BARRY AND JOAN d. Audrey Rumsby, 2020 + Q&A with the director at ActOne Cinema (08 MAY 15:45).
- DOWNTON ABBEY: A NEW ERA d. Simon Curtis, 2022 + Q&A with cast & crew at ActOne Cinema (08 MAY 18:00).
- ENCOUNTERS: CLOSER TOGETHER short film programme at Rio Cinema (08 MAY 13:30).
- ENCOUNTERS: CLOSER TOGETHER short film programme at ActOne Cinema (08 MAY 14:00).
- FAMILY ROMANCE LLC d. Werner Herzog, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (08 MAY 17:00).
- LA BATAILLE DU RAIL aka The Battle of the Rails d. René Clément, 1946 at Ciné Lumière (08 MAY 15:25).
- MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA / ARCADIA ds. Dziga Vertov + Paul Wright, 1929/2017 + Live score by The Cabinet of Living Cinema at Catford Mews (08 MAY 18:30).
- Kino Quickies: SAY IT WITH FLOWERS d. John Baxter, 1934 + Q&A podcast recording with Oscar nominated film & theatre composer Gary Yershon at Kino Bermondsey (08 MAY 13:30).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- HEAT 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1995 (08 MAY 20:00).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- BELLE aka Ryû to sobakasu no hime d. Mamoru Hosoda, 2021 (08 MAY 15:10).
- PAPRIKA aka Papurika d. Satoshi Kon, 2006 (08 MAY 17:45).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS (not listed elsewhere!) at The Prince Charles
- SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN d. Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952 (08 MAY 12:45).
- BLACK NARCISSUS d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1947 (08 MAY 15:20).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- HAPPENING aka L’événement d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 (08 MAY 11:20).
- THE VELVET QUEEN aka La Panthère des neiges d. Marie Amiguet & Vincent Munier, 2021 (until 12 MAY various).
- ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE aka Onoda: 10 000 Nuits dans la jungle d. Arthur Harari, 2021 (08 MAY 17:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- STILL WALKING aka Aruitemo aruitemo d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008 (08 MAY 15:15).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- JULIUS CAESAR d. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1953 (08 MAY 19:45).
CELEBRATING SIDNEY POITIER at The Garden Cinema
- LILIES OF THE FIELD d. Ralph Nelson, 1963 (08 MAY 17:30).
CRUEL FLESH: FILMS OF THE NEW FRENCH EXTREMITY at BFI Southbank
- Focus on: Gaspar Noé: ENTER THE VOID d. Gaspar Noé, 2009 (08 MAY 14:30.
- Focus on: Gaspar Noé: LOVE 3D d. Gaspar Noé, 2015 (08 MAY 18:15).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD d. Louis Malle, 1958 (08 MAY 18:30).
- SONATINE d. Takeshi Kitano, 1993 (08 MAY 20:15).
GENESIS 23RD BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema
- THE HANDMAIDEN d. Chan-wook Park, 2017 (08 MAY 14:30).
- BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 (08 MAY 17:45).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF FRENCH CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- L’ATALANTE d. Jean Vigo, 1934 (08 MAY 15:20).
RETURN OF THE OUTSIDER: THE FILMS OF MIKE HODGES at BFI Southbank
- SQUARING THE CIRCLE + WORLD IN ACTION: GOLDWATER FOR PRESIDENT? d. Mike Hodges, 1984 + 1964 (08 MAY 11:50).
- A PRAYER FOR THE DYING d. Mike Hodges, 1987 (08 MAY 15:20).
- Re-releases: CROUPIER d. Mike Hodges, 1998 (06 to 11 MAY various).
SCI-FI MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- PAPRIKA aka Papurika d. Satoshi Kon, 2006 (08 MAY 17:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building, Peckham
- BELFAST (08 MAY 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East, Stratford
- HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER’S STONE (08 MAY 20:30).
- Frames Of Representation (05 to 12 MAY).
- Girls in Film Festival (06 to 08 MAY).
- In Short, Europe (07 MAY).
- Odyssey: A Chinese Cinema Season (10 MAY to 10 JUNE).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 15 MAY 2022).
- Village Screen Film Week (10 to 15 MAY).
- Wondrous Stories Film Festival (06 to 08 MAY).
COME BACK ANYTIME dir. John Daschbach, 2021 at:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
- Also 06 to 12 MAY (various dates/times): ARICA d. Lars Edman, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // ATABI d. Niki Karimi, 2020 at: Ciné Lumière / Picturehouse Cinemas // ELEVEN DAYS IN MAY d. Mohammed Sawwaf & Michael Winterbottom, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas // THE SWIMMER d. Adam Kalderon, 2021 at: ICA / JW3 // THIS MUCH I KNOW TO BE TRUE d. Andrew Dominik, 2021 at: ICA (from 11 MAY) // WAKE UP PUNK d. Nigel Askew, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Curzon Cinemas.
- The Vito Project Queer Film Club presents DRESSED TO THRILL season at The Cinema Museum (08 FEB to 04 JUN 2023)
- The Short List 3: Film As Therapy – short films about mental health at The Cinema In The Power Station (13 FEB 2023).
- Lost Reels presents Philip Kaufman’s HENRY AND JUNE from 35mm at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 2023)
- Electric Frog Film Club presents Hiroshi Teshigahara’s PITFALL at ArtHouse Crouch End (15 FEB 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.