SUNDAY 17 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN d. Angela Robinson, 2017 + Intro + Pre/post film social presented by Sappho’s Cinema and Lesflicks at The Cinema Museum (17 APR 15:30):
“The story of psychologist William Moulton Marston, and his polyamorous relationship with his wife, Elizabeth and their mistress, Olive Byrne, who would inspire his creation of the superheroine, Wonder Woman.”
“We will be hosting a pre and post film social where attendees will be invited to mix and mingle with colour coded name stickers which will include RED for those just there for the film, ORANGE for those looking for friends and GREEN for all the singles who want to mingle.”
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2021 at The Prince Charles (17 APR 20:25).
- EASTER PARADE d. Arthur Freed, 1948 at Riverside Studios (17 APR 14:50 / 20 APR 12:05).
- HARVEY d. Henry Koster, 1950 at The Prince Charles (17 APR 12:30).
- THE LIVES OF OTHERS aka Das Leben der Anderen d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006 at Whirled Cinema (17 APR 17:00).
- NAVALNY d. Daniel Roher, 2022 + Recorded Q&A at Barbican (17 APR 17:55).
- ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE d. Arthur Harari, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (17 APR 14:00).
- PROFESSOR MARSTON AND THE WONDER WOMEN d. Angela Robinson, 2017 + Intro + Pre/post film social presented by Sappho’s Cinema and Lesflicks at The Cinema Museum (17 APR 15:30).
- REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES d. Kiwi Chow, 2021 at ActOne Cinema (17 APR 14:30).
- SHOOT THE PIANIST aka Tirez sur le pianiste d. François Truffaut, 1960 at Picturehouse Cinemas (17 to 19 APR various).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (17 APR 12:00).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- ASTROBOY, 1980 featuring The Birth of Astro Boy, Frankenstein, & The Greatest Robot in the World (Parts 1 & 2) dubbed versions (17 APR 12:10).
- PATLABOR: THE MOVIE aka Kidô keisatsu patorebâ: Gekijô-ban d. Mamoru Oshii, 1989 (17 APR 18:20).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at The Prince Charles
- THRONE OF BLOOD aka Kumonosu-jô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 (17 APR 14:50).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- BENEDETTA d. Paul Verhoeven, 2021 (until 28 APR various).
- ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE aka Onoda: 10 000 Nuits dans la jungle d. Arthur Harari, 2021 (until 21 APR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- I CONFESS 35mm d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1953 (17 APR 12:00).
- THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO MATTHEW aka Il vangelo secondo Matteo d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1964 (17 APR 14:40).
BLACK & WHITE MOVIES at The Prince Charles
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 (17 APR 12:00).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- GUYS & DOLLS d. Frank Loesser, 1955 (17 APR 17:00).
- A DRY WHITE SEASON d. Euzhan Palcy, 1989 (17 APR 20:10).
CLOSE-UP ON JOHN CASSAVETES at Close-Up
- LOVE STREAMS d. John Cassavetes, 1984 (17 APR 17:30).
- THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE d. John Cassavetes, 1976 (17 APR 20:00).
THE GOLDEN AGE OF FRENCH CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- LE JOUR SE LÈVE d. Marcel Carné, 1939 (17 APR 15:00).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at ICA
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 21 APR various).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD d. Joachim Trier, 2022 (until 28 APR various).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Re-release: CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 (17 APR 13:00).
- FACE TO FACE aka Ansikte mot ansikte + Intermission + Intro by Sarah Lutton, season programmer (17 APR 14:15).
- PERSONA d. Ingmar Bergman, 1966 (17 APR 18:40).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière
- FINDING NEMO d. Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich, 2003 (17 APR 13:30).
- PAULINE AT THE BEACH aka Pauline à la plage d. Eric Rohmer, 1983 (17 APR 14:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- FALLEN ANGELS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 (17 APR 17:50).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (17 APR 20:00 4K).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
THE NORTHMAN d. Robert Eggers, 2022:
- Also 15 to 21 APR (various dates/times): MARIUPOLIS d. Mantas Kvedaravičius, 2016 at: ICA // ONODA: 10,000 NIGHTS IN THE JUNGLE d. Arthur Harari, 2021 at: ICA // OPERATION MINCEMEAT d. John Madden, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Lexi Cinema / Olympic Studios / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios.
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.