SUNDAY 17 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 + Conversation with the director at ICA (17 OCT 16:00):
- “The ICA is delighted to welcome Dutch artist Renzo Martens for a presentation of his film work WHITE CUBE, a powerful and provocative dissection of art, class and decolonisation. WHITE CUBE follows the Cercle d’Art des Travailleurs de Plantation Congolaise (CATPC), a plantation workers’ cooperative based on a former Unilever plantation in the Congolese town of Lusanga, as they attempt to end the destructive system of monoculture on their lands – by building upon it a gallery, the ‘white cube’ of the title.”
- The 2021 London 48hr Film Project world premiere at Genesis Cinema (17 OCT 13:30).
- BREATHLESS d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 at Close-Up (17 OCT 20:15).
- CHARIOTS OF FIRE d. Hugh Hudson, 1981 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Central (17 OCT 15:00).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 at The Prince Charles (17 OCT 17:15).
- Genesis Geniuses short film programme made by members of Team Genesis at Genesis Cinema (17 OCT 18:00).
- GETTING AWAY WITH MURDER(S) d. David Wilkinson, 2021 + Q&A with the director at Phoenix Cinema (17 OCT 14:00).
- HOUSE aka Hausu d. Nobuhiko Obayashi, 1977 at The Prince Charles (17 OCT 20:00).
- THE INNOCENTS d. Jack Clayton, 1961 at The Prince Charles (17 OCT 12:15).
- JODOROWSKY’S DUNE d. Frank Pavich, 2013 at Picturehouse Central (17 OCT 15:10).
- LE DOULOS d. Jean-Pierre Melville, 1962 at Close-Up (17 OCT 18:00).
- LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS d. Frank Oz, 1986 at The Exhibit (17 OCT 14:30).
- Melvin van Peebles Double Bill: THE STORY OF A THREE DAY PASS + SWEET SWEETBACK’S BAADASSSSS SONG d. Melvin van Peebles, 1967 + 1971 at Rio Cinema (17 OCT 13:30 & 15:20 – discount applied at checkout!).
- NO PLACE LIKE HOME d. Perry Henzell, 1975 + Intro by The Twelve30 Collective at Riverside Studios (17 OCT 14:00).
- THE RED TURTLE d. Michaël Dudok de Wit, 2016 + Recorded Q&A with the director at Ciné Lumière (17 OCT 13:30).
- Robert Cohan’s Lockdown Portraits World Premiere + Q&A with Yolande Yorke-Edgell, David Stewart & Kenneth Tharp at Barbican (17 OCT 15:10).
- SEVEN SAMURAI d. Akira Kurosawa, 1954 at Picturehouse Cinemas (17 OCT various).
- SIMONE SIGNORET, FRENCH ICON AND INTERNATIONAL STAR talk by Dr Sarah Leahy (17 OCT 14:00) followed by ROOM AT THE TOP d. Jack Clayton, 1958 (17 OCT 14:00).
- WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 + Conversation with the director at ICA (17 OCT 16:00).
- WHITE RIOT d. Rubikah Shah, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (17 OCT 17:00).
- THE WIZARD OF OZ d. Victor Fleming & George Cukor, 1939 at The Musical Museum (17 OCT 14:30).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival – London (11 to 19 OCT).
- BFI London Film Festival (06 to 17 OCT).
- ECOFeminism Short Film Festival (16 OCT).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Also (15 to 21 OCT various dates/times): THE BETA TEST d. Jim Cummings & PJ McCabe, 2021 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Prince Charles Cinema // FOUND d. Amanda Lipitz, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // I AM BELMAYA d. Sue Carpenter & Belmaya Nepali, 2021 at: The Castle Cinema // THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF EURÍDICE GUSMÃO d. Karim Aïnouz, 2019 at: Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA // THE VELVET UNDERGROUND d. Todd Haynes, 2021 at: Arthouse Crouch End / Barbican / Bertha DocHouse / Cinema In The Arches / ICA / Kiln Theatre / Olympic Cinema / Riverside Studios.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.